Severely underperformed on step 1... now what residencies should I go into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slapmypanda

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

With the dust finally settling after the 7/7 score release, reality is starting to hit. I scored ~18 points below my predicted, ending up at mid 230s.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Mid 230s is probably fine for most things. Get a grip. Sure a handful of specialities might be more difficult, you already know which ones these are. But they are still probably possible with a lot of hard wok and filling out other aspects of your app. Pursue whatever you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not how this works. You tell us what you're interested in and you get feedback about your possibilities. It's not like you get a 260 and you're forced into Ophthalmology

Reactions: 7 users
Reactions: 1 user
If you apply intelligently, I don’t think any doors are necessarily closed. You’ll just have to do a bit more research. For instance, if you go to Mt Sinai’s Derm residency page, it explicitly says there is a 240 minimum. Thus you wouldn’t waste your time applying there. But there are plenty of Derm programs that don’t have that minimum if that was the field you chose for instance.

Last edited:
This is not how this works. You tell us what you're interested in and you get feedback about your possibilities. It's not like you get a 260 and you're forced into Ophthalmology
You done goofed. Now you're in for it! Take your 270 and apply to Derm RIGHT NOW or ELSE! Don't even THINK about family med, you lost that right MISTER MAN!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Just some anecdata for you. Friend of mine matched Anesthesia at a highly ranked (home) program with a 190 on Step 1 (when that was still passing, not sure if they raised the pass score above that since.) Another friend's wife matched Derm with like a 220 or 230 and only one or two interviews.