I cried in front of patients today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ice cream

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been licensed as a pharmacist for a little over a month now. I was on alone today and basically couldn't get away from the register long enough to input/fill/check efficiently. I thought I was doing okay, keeping focused and working as fast as is safe, but things started piling up. Eventually a patient came back for a medication. I hadn't filled it because we were out of the generic and I had ordered it for our order on Monday. Well, the patient wanted brand name which they hadn't specified when dropping off and I had assumed generic.

I apologized to the pt and told them I would need 20 more minutes (a million people waiting and a ton of scripts still needed to be imput). The patient flipped out on me called me a bunch of names and told me that they were not moving one inch until I filled that Rx. At that point I should have said something strong and professional sounding, but instead I said I would do my best and focused on this person's Rx.

I'm new to this pharmacy and computer system, and I had somehow managed to get this Rx in a weird reject field that I couldn't seem to get it out of to switch back to the brand name. With the patient staring me down and 3 others on line behind them staring me down as well, I started to feel the tears welling up. I didn't know what to do or who to call to fix it. I couldn't think straight. I could barely contain myself from sobbing right there but instead I worked on the script with tears rolling down my cheeks. I just couldn't control it and I feel so weak and foolish now. I don't think patients are going to respect a crying mess of a pharmacist.

Of course when I finally got it to go through, we didn't have the full amount in stock. I gave the pt a partial fill.

The next customer asks me if I'm okay. Then she asks me if I am so upset that I am going to put the wrong drugs in her bottle. I felt so awful at this question, although I completely understand her concern (a pharmacist with red puffy eyes isn't the most reassuring sight). The truth was I did need a break to collect myself but with a line as far as the eye can see and a pile of waiting prescriptions I couldn't justify taking one. I triple checked everything from there on out because I knew how upset I was that I was more likely to make a mistake.

I'm only human. I feel as though up until today I have done a very good job dealing with abusive customers and handling a new job, new system, new life etc. I think I'm a thoughtful and careful pharmacist. I need to develop a thicker skin, I know. I'm just so upset by this. I wish I hadn't cried.

I'm sure people will post how I don't belong in retail if I can't take a little customer abuse, but the truth is I love my job (so far). I guess I still have a lot to learn. Just rambling on now...

How do you guys turn off your emotions? Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You big cry baby...Theres no crying in pharmacy....theres no crying in pharmacy!!!!!

I am just kidding. I am a guy so I have not felt like crying but I certainly have had those moments where I was 2 seconds from closing the gate and going home mid shift.

All I can say is welcome to Walgreens or CVS (is there a difference) and hopefully you will get used to it.

I'm still a few months away from graduation, so I don't know what it's like to have all the pressure on my own shoulders, but I can definitely understand where you're coming from! I've had situations at work when I've almost started crying, but was fortunately able to take a break. Removing myself from the situation always helps! It's too bad that as a pharmacist you can't easily do that! I know that you don't want patients to see you being "weak", but I really do think that as you face more situations like this you will gradually become stronger and more able to cope with the immediate situation!

Sorry you had a bad day! *hugs*

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, if I ever felt like that at my job I would place my two weeks notice in the next day.

Not because you got upset, but because it seems like a sweat-shop esque place with little support and you're doing the cash register?? Seriously, brutal situation. It seems retail is spiraling downwards instead of advancing.

You big cry baby...Theres no crying in pharmacy....theres no crying in pharmacy!!!!!

I am just kidding. I am a guy so I have not felt like crying but I certainly have had those moments where I was 2 seconds from closing the gate and going home mid shift.

All I can say is welcome to Walgreens or CVS (is there a difference) and hopefully you will get used to it.

More of the same from MountainPharmD whose sole purpose in life is to bash a company he does not work for while providing absolutely no help to the poster as to what to do when you are overwhelmed and you are dealing with an abusive patient.

To address the root cause of what went wrong and how you can prevent this from happening you will need to post more information such as how many prescriptions your store does per day and how many techs you had on with you and how well trained the techs were. Is this the first time in this store? If you do work for CVS, I can give you more detailed operational suggestions as to how and why you fell behind and what you can do to prevent this from happening in the future. In this case, it appears the store is poorly staffed and poorly stocked and placing an inexperienced pharmacist in that kind of store is always a recipe for disaster.

First, when you are overwhelmed, walk away. If you are the sole person in the pharmacy and there are no techs, get a manager to the pharmacy to ring the register for you and step out for five minutes. You are already behind so five minutes more will not make any difference at all.

Next is don't panic. It never helps. Panic never checked a single prescription.

Next, when a patient becomes abusive, DO NOT give it back to them. In this case, I would have apologized to the patient and said: I'm really very far behind, let me give you a few days worth and I'll call you when I get everything squared away.

When you have many orders to check and you are far behind, just do them one at a time. Don't worry about scores, colors or anything else. They will get done by the end of the day or the next day. People may be upset and they be angry, but they will not die from waiting at a retail pharmacy.

I have had days like this at an independent that filled 100 per day and I have had days like that at a chain where we filled 700 per day. It's the nature of life. There are good days and bad days. As I tell my techs all of the time, "Some days you ride the horse and some days the horse rides you."

If you answer some of my questions, I can go into more detail as to how to prevent this from happening in the future. I can also go into more detail about how to deal with an abusive patient.

You have been working for more than 4 weeks so if this is the first time it happened, it's probably not you.

I've been licensed as a pharmacist for a little over a month now. I was on alone today and basically couldn't get away from the register long enough to input/fill/check efficiently. I thought I was doing okay, keeping focused and working as fast as is safe, but things started piling up. Eventually a patient came back for a medication. I hadn't filled it because we were out of the generic and I had ordered it for our order on Monday. Well, the patient wanted brand name which they hadn't specified when dropping off and I had assumed generic.

I apologized to the pt and told them I would need 20 more minutes (a million people waiting and a ton of scripts still needed to be imput). The patient flipped out on me called me a bunch of names and told me that they were not moving one inch until I filled that Rx. At that point I should have said something strong and professional sounding, but instead I said I would do my best and focused on this person's Rx.

I'm new to this pharmacy and computer system, and I had somehow managed to get this Rx in a weird reject field that I couldn't seem to get it out of to switch back to the brand name. With the patient staring me down and 3 others on line behind them staring me down as well, I started to feel the tears welling up. I didn't know what to do or who to call to fix it. I couldn't think straight. I could barely contain myself from sobbing right there but instead I worked on the script with tears rolling down my cheeks. I just couldn't control it and I feel so weak and foolish now. I don't think patients are going to respect a crying mess of a pharmacist.

Of course when I finally got it to go through, we didn't have the full amount in stock. I gave the pt a partial fill.

The next customer asks me if I'm okay. Then she asks me if I am so upset that I am going to put the wrong drugs in her bottle. I felt so awful at this question, although I completely understand her concern (a pharmacist with red puffy eyes isn't the most reassuring sight). The truth was I did need a break to collect myself but with a line as far as the eye can see and a pile of waiting prescriptions I couldn't justify taking one. I triple checked everything from there on out because I knew how upset I was that I was more likely to make a mistake.

I'm only human. I feel as though up until today I have done a very good job dealing with abusive customers and handling a new job, new system, new life etc. I think I'm a thoughtful and careful pharmacist. I need to develop a thicker skin, I know. I'm just so upset by this. I wish I hadn't cried.

I'm sure people will post how I don't belong in retail if I can't take a little customer abuse, but the truth is I love my job (so far). I guess I still have a lot to learn. Just rambling on now...

I'm sorry to hear about your bad day! I'm a recent grad and it's definitely taken a lot of time to get used to working as a pharmacist now. I can totally relate to having to develop a tougher skin. There are a LOT of mean and/or ignorant/inconsiderate people in the world (a lot of nice ones too; so don't let the rude ones take precedence over your day!!) and working in retail involves coming in direct contact with a lot of them. You just have to start letting things roll right off of you and it will take time I'm sure. There is a definite line between being compassionate and letting people walk all over you. I'm still working on the balancing act myself.

On another note, are you alone as a pharmacist quite often or was that a fluke? It's really not good that you're being left without a technician. That has to especially be tough as a new pharmacist. One of the advantages I have found that I'm thankful for while working in the busiest store in my district is that I'm never, ever left without at least 1 technician. Most of the time I have 3 starting early in the AM. That makes it a lot easier on me as they divert all insurance issues out of my path. If you continue being left alone like that and are not comfortable, you might want to start checking out alternative options but I'm sure you have thought of that. Hope you have a better week!!!

More of the same from MountainPharmD whose sole purpose in life is to bash a company he does not work for while providing absolutely no help to the poster as to what to do when you are overwhelmed and you are dealing with an abusive patient.

To address the root cause of what went wrong and how you can prevent this from happening you will need to post more information such as how many prescriptions your store does per day and how many techs you had on with you and how well trained the techs were. Is this the first time in this store? If you do work for CVS, I can give you more detailed operational suggestions as to how and why you fell behind and what you can do to prevent this from happening in the future. In this case, it appears the store is poorly staffed and poorly stocked and placing an inexperienced pharmacist in that kind of store is always a recipe for disaster.

First, when you are overwhelmed, walk away. If you are the sole person in the pharmacy and there are no techs, get a manager to the pharmacy to ring the register for you and step out for five minutes. You are already behind so five minutes more will not make any difference at all.

Next is don't panic. It never helps. Panic never checked a single prescription.

Next, when a patient becomes abusive, DO NOT give it back to them. In this case, I would have apologized to the patient and said: I'm really very far behind, let me give you a few days worth and I'll call you when I get everything squared away.

When you have many orders to check and you are far behind, just do them one at a time. Don't worry about scores, colors or anything else. They will get done by the end of the day or the next day. People may be upset and they be angry, but they will not die from waiting at a retail pharmacy.

I have had days like this at an independent that filled 100 per day and I have had days like that at a chain where we filled 700 per day. It's the nature of life. There are good days and bad days. As I tell my techs all of the time, "Some days you ride the horse and some days the horse rides you."

If you answer some of my questions, I can go into more detail as to how to prevent this from happening in the future. I can also go into more detail about how to deal with an abusive patient.

You have been working for more than 4 weeks so if this is the first time it happened, it's probably not you.

Good ole' Old Timer you reallly have no clue.:thumbdown: If you read her post what you should get out of it is the fact she was in a poorly staffed pharmacy with no help and thats why the customer was abusive. I don't think I would call it abusive I would call it upset because her prescription was not ready and it should have been. Old Timer, you need to stop trying to sugar coat everything. What she experienened will be a common occurance if she continues to work at one of the sweat shop chains. I would like to say something positive but all I can say is eventualy, if she does not quit, she will get used to it and it won't bother her so much. Being understaffed and overworked is the norm not the exception at these places. You can wrap bunny rabbits and cotton candy around everything if you want but I don't see how that helps anyone. If I wanted to offer her some honest and helpful advice I would say give it a few more months and if it doesn't get any better start looking for another job.

Next time you're feeling crappy, just think of a runny egg...
s83304022_30507180_4595.jpg

Good ole' Old Timer you reallly have no clue.:thumbdown: If you read her post what you should get out of it is the fact she was in a poorly staffed pharmacy with no help and thats why the customer was abusive. I don't think I would call it abusive I would call it upset because her prescription was not ready and it should have been. Old Timer, you need to stop trying to sugar coat everything. What she experienened will be a common occurance if she continues to work at one of the sweat shop chains. I would like to say something positive but all I can say is eventualy, if she does not quit, she will get used to it and it won't bother her so much. Being understaffed and overworked is the norm not the exception at these places. You can wrap bunny rabbits and cotton candy around everything if you want but I don't see how that helps anyone. If I wanted to offer her some honest and helpful advice I would say give it a few more months and if it doesn't get any better start looking for another job.

The patient flipped out on me called me a bunch of names and told me that they were not moving one inch until I filled that Rx.
That equals abuse. Period. If you don't think so, we will just have to agree to disagree. I don't let people call me names, period.

You basically only have one post:
CVS and Walgreens are evil. The 30,000 pharmacists that work for them must be stepford pharmacists to stay there. I could go on and on. If somebody said there's global warming, you would post a comment on CVS and Walgreens. You don't work at CVS and don't like it. I work there and think it's great. I prefer clarity to agreement. I know where you stand, you know where I stand.

That's not the point. You offered no advice to help her deal with her situation. If you think she should quit, come right out and say it. But if you think this only happens in large chain pharmacy, I will say you are mistaken. I will surmise you do not have same experience that I have. In 25 years on the bench (19 independent and 6 chain) I have seen this happen in both practice settings. Does it happen more in chains, it might, but there are more chains than independents. In a chain environment there are people to reach out to get help, other stores, the scheduler, your boss, etc.

I never sugar coat anything. I'm usually pretty blunt. When things go wrong you have to evaluate how things went wrong and why. Then you attempt to change them. If you can't change them, then you change your environment.

I work at a supermarket pharmacy. We do about 100-150 scripts per day and I'm usually the only pharmacist on, I overlap with my partner once per week. I have one full time tech that works 40 hrs per week, no tech on weekends. When I work every other weekend I am solo.

After today I left my pharmacy manager (and partner) a note asking if we could get at least a cashier for the weekends.

Up until recently I haven't had a problem with the workload, there have been a few changes recently that have increased it/made it harder but I think these things will smooth out over time. Overall I feel that the company I work for is pretty good. I have great benefits and vacation time (or so I've heard, I haven't actually used them yet).

My tech is very very good. He's also really good at giving it back to customers (while staying respectful), I'm actually taking mental notes from him sometimes.

I guess because I am new, I also take a bit longer to verify, double check everything as I am not completely comfortable with every medication/etc and I always want to double check. I'm sure my patients would want that too, I wish I could find a good way to explain to them that I am looking out for their health by not just grabbing some pills off the shelf and tossing them at them with no care, but yeah, I know that comes with retail.

Thinking it over again I have to say that my problem today was being understaffed. I didn't have anyone to help me to keep me from ringing so that I could focus on getting "pharmacist" tasks done. Maybe this is a problem with the company, I know I will ask for more help at the very least.

I worked through my lunch and stayed late and still couldn't get it all done and had to leave a few problems for my partner. Which I hate doing but today was a day I just had to get out of there at a certain point.

I did actually offer to give them some tabs to hold them over until I worked the problems with the Rx out. That is when she really got upset and said she wasn't moving one inch. I probably should have said I would do her prescription next, just as soon as I rang out the 3 ppl behind her. That way they wouldn't have been waiting too. Oh well, I'm not perfect I guess I will try to improve on this for the future.

If I wanted to offer her some honest and helpful advice I would say give it a few more months and if it doesn't get any better start looking for another job.

You obviously didn't want to help her because all you did was bash CVS and Walgreens. I have worked for CVS for six years and have NEVER been in a store without a tech for an entire shift. Don't you feel a little silly now that you know she works for someone other than CVS or Walgreens?

I work at a supermarket pharmacy. We do about 100-150 scripts per day and I'm usually the only pharmacist on, I overlap with my partner once per week. I have one full time tech that works 40 hrs per week, no tech on weekends. When I work every other weekend I am solo.

After today I left my pharmacy manager (and partner) a note asking if we could get at least a cashier for the weekends.

Up until recently I haven't had a problem with the workload, there have been a few changes recently that have increased it/made it harder but I think these things will smooth out over time. Overall I feel that the company I work for is pretty good. I have great benefits and vacation time (or so I've heard, I haven't actually used them yet).

My tech is very very good. He's also really good at giving it back to customers (while staying respectful), I'm actually taking mental notes from him sometimes.

I guess because I am new, I also take a bit longer to verify, double check everything as I am not completely comfortable with every medication/etc and I always want to double check. I'm sure my patients would want that too, I wish I could find a good way to explain to them that I am looking out for their health by not just grabbing some pills off the shelf and tossing them at them with no care, but yeah, I know that comes with retail.

Thinking it over again I have to say that my problem today was being understaffed. I didn't have anyone to help me to keep me from ringing so that I could focus on getting "pharmacist" tasks done. Maybe this is a problem with the company, I know I will ask for more help at the very least.

I worked through my lunch and stayed late and still couldn't get it all done and had to leave a few problems for my partner. Which I hate doing but today was a day I just had to get out of there at a certain point.

How many prescriptions do you fill per week?
How many tech hours do you use per week?
How many prescriptions did you fill today?
Was this an average Saturday?
Can you ask the front store to give you someone to ring the register when things get busy like that?

They key thing to do when you are behind is to give the patient accurate information. If it will take three hours say it. I'm sorry Mrs. Smith, I am very busy to day and I can't have it ready until X time. It's better to say X and have it ready than it is to say X-2 and have it not be ready. If things look really bad, try to call the patient and reset their expectations. (not easy when your swamped, I understand)

If you answer those questions I posted, I can help you in preparing to approach the higher ups for more tech help. It might better to move the hours around, rather than add more hours. I just don't have enough details to guide you.

Members don't see this ad :)
All you can do is your best. Life is a learning experience and you aren't going to know how to handle every situation ahead of time. As long as you have learned something from the situation and come up with strategies for next time you are making the best of things, in my book.

I would say we usually do about 800 per week. I did 96 today which is typical of a Saturday. Today felt tougher than usual because we have had system upgrades in the past week that have changed our workflow (should help in the long run but slow us down in the beginning since we are still learning them). Before I went in today I was feeling like it would be a bad day but it exceeded my expectations. I don't know. Not trying to whine about it at this point, just getting it off my chest I guess. I really appreciate the comments and advice.

40 tech hours per week. He does a regular schedule weekly and none on the weekends. I'm pretty sure his hours are non negotiable as much as I would Looooove some help on the weekends.

I'm still an intern, but I can definitely understand how it is. I'm a guy, so I feel more frustrated and angry than helpless. But I know how stress can build up, and I just got off 9 hours, just me and my pharmacist at Walgreens. And I had no time for breakfast or lunch, and I still have a pounding headache.

What my pharmacist keeps on telling me is "They WILL WAIT." As work was pilling up, I was darting around the pharmacy like a bee. "Don't be so on edge, they want their meds, they'll wait." By demonstrating, he even slam the phone on one of the callers who was giving him a hard time and going no where.

He's advice included such things as "most patients just want to hear themselves talk. Let them." And "become a good liar, if insurance will let refill through on 10/1, tell them 10/3 or 10/4."

It's natural that we newbies worries excessively about not keeping people waiting, and stress ourselves out. But I guess you'll get use to it, and eventually develop a thick skin to shut them out.

Also, it's his experience is that people do retail until they get burnt out. Then they switch to hospital or long term care. From my experience, I already know retail isn't for me, it's dull and a few regular a**holes take up most of your time and give you hypertension. So you might want to consider switching too if you are constantly stressed out at where you work. :luck:

hmm, i wouldve told the pt that its going to take longer to process the script since he didnt specify that he wanted brand at first and moved onto the next customer

and yes, some1 else brought up a good point too, sometimes we fudge the truth (i wont call it lying :) ) to buy us some more time (ie, the insurance company is having computer problems always seems to work), etc....couldve tried that one too

and about personal insults, just let em roll of your sleeve.

also, you gotta learn to trust yourself...triple checking something is totally unnecessary...

That's funny! Is it really worth a few extra bucks per hour working for CVS or Walgreens?

Is it really a few extra bucks per hour? I mean if you get offered a job at WAGs $120k+/yr vs. a hospital $80K a year, that sure sounds like a lot more than a few bucks an hour. Ye, I just interned at a local downtown hospital for the summer and saw a bunch of agency pharmacist make a killing because the hospital couldn’t hire enough pharmacists, I suppose because WAG and CVS was paying more. But yes, they were doing nothing more than filling scripts for their whole shifts. (boring? I would say so?) The pharm techs did all the leg work, IV bags, pill counting, chemo, and TPNs. As a pharmacist, I wouldn’t see the difference between a hospital and retail pharmacist: you fill scripts (checking doctor’s errors). Yes, you put up with more crap, as retail pharmacist, from patients, but you also make more, so…i figure at the end of it all, it's up to you: you want to make more money or you want more peace?+pissed+

Is it really a few extra bucks per hour? I mean if you get offered a job at WAGs $120k+/yr vs. a hospital $80K a year

I am not comparing CVS to hospital. There are plently of pharmacies that pay not as well but very comparable to CVS.

I've been licensed as a pharmacist for a little over a month now. I was on alone today and basically couldn't get away from the register long enough to input/fill/check efficiently.

Trust me - it will get better because you will learn how to handle it. You will, however, still have those patients who are just that way and there is no reasoning with them. It will not matter where you are working, how long you have been working there, how well staffed the pharmacy is/isn't, good computer days, bad computer days - there will always be that patient who cannot communicate in a civil manner. I have been called every name in the book - and then some - I have had a tennis shoe thrown at me through the window, I have had patients tell me that if not for them I would not have a job etc...I have cried many, many tears. Also true: I have had days when filling 100 rx's feels like 800 and vice versa - some patients just have a way of throwing that kind of a wrench into the mix.

Bottom line: You will eventually learn how to keep it in perspective and not let it get to you so hang in there. There will also come a time where the patients that really appreciate you will outnumber those that don't, and then you will have that reaffirmation of why it is you became a pharmacist. Always, always keep in mind that your focus needs to be safety first - then efficiency. Don't let patients bully you - you are not serving up french fries.

So...........smile :)

That's funny! Is it really worth a few extra bucks per hour working for CVS or Walgreens?

The other I hate CVS yo-yo chimes in. I know you blame global warming, interest rates and the Kennedy assassination on CVS, but in this case the poster works for a Supermarket so this thread has nothing to do with CVS.

Why don't you and MountainPharmD start an I hate CVS thread and post every hour or so just to hear yourselves talk. It's really of great help to someone who had a bad day working at a supermarket to know Walgreens and CVS are both bad. Even if it were true, which it isn't, what does it have to with the problem at hand, nothing.

work in a hospital.

nurses can be nasty and try to rush you, too.....but they're not your customers, so you can be nasty back...

I'm still a few months away from graduation, so I don't know what it's like to have all the pressure on my own shoulders, but I can definitely understand where you're coming from! I've had situations at work when I've almost started crying, but was fortunately able to take a break. Removing myself from the situation always helps! It's too bad that as a pharmacist you can't easily do that! I know that you don't want patients to see you being "weak", but I really do think that as you face more situations like this you will gradually become stronger and more able to cope with the immediate situation!

Sorry you had a bad day! *hugs*

You are right. I love you.

Lot's of good advice in this thread, great post.

We had just our pharmacist, and I yesterday, on a Saturday. Our stores busiest day.

I got some great advice from him throughout the day on how to handle the workload. When you have a bunch of people that want to wait, slam the wait times. If they don't want to wait 45 minutes for a script, then they can get it filled at another location. Anything through drive thru is an automatic hour atleast.

All in all our day was really good, we did about 300 scripts, got all the deletes done, and filled the fast rack & cells. Basically, I ran the front section, pharmacist filled the belt, then verified, got phones, ect.

We have the same situation today, but hopefully it will be better!

Sorry to hear about your bad day, I love the advice that I just heard.."Sometimes you ride the horse, and sometimes the horse rides you." Good luck.

About all this "CVS vs the rest" stuff... I'm pretty sure that's not what the OP intended this thread to be about. You guys really should start your very own thread about that and anytime you have the urge to debate it in another thread, take the quote back there instead! I'm pretty sure that most of us have read all we want to read about the pros and cons of CVS! The fact is that it all comes down to individual preference as well as specific stores. Some stores are going to be great and other are going to be awful... no matter what big name they have out front on the sign.:thumbup:

and yes, some1 else brought up a good point too, sometimes we fudge the truth (i wont call it lying :) ) to buy us some more time (ie, the insurance company is having computer problems always seems to work), etc....couldve tried that one too
Good one! I never even thought about blaming the insurance companies computers! :laugh: I've used our own computer problems many times though.
also, you gotta learn to trust yourself...triple checking something is totally unnecessary...
I don't think triple checking yourself is totally unnecessary if you are at the moment, beyond stressed out. In fact, it sounds quite responsible to me!

You are right. I love you.
Well thanks!

Sorry to hear about your bad day, I love the advice that I just heard.."Sometimes you ride the horse, and sometimes the horse rides you." Good luck.
Yes, definitely a good quote!

The other I hate CVS yo-yo chimes in. I know you blame global warming, interest rates and the Kennedy assassination on CVS, but in this case the poster works for a Supermarket so this thread has nothing to do with CVS.

Why don't you and MountainPharmD start an I hate CVS thread and post every hour or so just to hear yourselves talk. It's really of great help to someone who had a bad day working at a supermarket to know Walgreens and CVS are both bad. Even if it were true, which it isn't, what does it have to with the problem at hand, nothing.

Old Timer - you are now beating that horse that is riding you (or you riding it) to death. Give this a break. Each of us has our opinions on where & who we'd work for. You've given yours a zillion times & when we need that CVS cheerleader, we know where to come. I've got the same opinion of Walgreens & CVS & I take offense that you think yours is better than mine. I don't care if you like my places of employment - just back off on those of us who have actually been patients in these places & have had to deal with brusque, angry, insolent employees who make us wait an ungodly amount of time and those of us who have experienced the environment as employees & don't like it.

But, please, let each person have their own opinion - they have that right.

Now - for the OP. You've gotten lots of advice, some good & some not so good, IMO. I'm a girl & like you, I've cried as well. Not intentionally, the tears just started due to stress.

You've found lots & lots of your own suggestions by yourself, I think. The one thing I don't think you've yet come across no matter the computer system is - you can always start the rx over from scratch. Don't worry about deactivating the old one. As long as it has been credited, it will get thru the insurance adjudication process. Let that other one just languish in the system & when you get time later - tomorrow, next week, whenever - deactivate it.

One other tip I will have for you since I often work alone, particularly on the weekends. I don't answer the phone if I'm in the middle of an rx or helping someone, either with otc advice or ringing & counseling on a new rx. Yep, sometimes the phone rings & rings & they call back frustrated. I don't say anything, just how can I help you? I can only do one thing at a time (well, I'm a really good multitasker, but in their eyes, I can only do one thing). So, I don't try to be superhuman. I don't think it matters if you do 50 or 500 rxs. There are just days when things fall apart & it all comes down on you.

I've had folks say they'll take their rx to Walgreens or CVS (NOT - we don't have CVS here:laugh:), but they usually bring them back.

You won't please everyone nor will you even please your very best customers sometimes. I've also experienced this very same feeling being the only & last pharmacist on for the day in the first hospital job I had. That day ended with a tpn for a neonate with multiple medical issues. I was overwhelmed, new, tired & insecure. I was up all night calculating & recalculating in my head. It was a day I will never forget.

This is happening mostly because you're young and inexperienced. People rarely give me any lip now. All I have to do is look at them (the same look I used to give my kids when they got out of line). That usually takes care of it & they will suddenly find an interest in rutabagas for 10 minutes. Just be sure you have a supportive SO at home who has the wine chilled when you get there.

Good luck, hang in there & as many have told you - things will improve or you'll change jobs. There is nothing wrong in changing a job for a staffing issue. I've done it.

Hopefully you are still reading this thread. Like always it got a bit off topic. I work at a grocery store RX as well so I know exactly what you are going thru. Working by yourself stinks no matter how many prescriptions you do.

You beat me to it but based on the staffing you describe I would have guessed you do around 800 scripts per week. It seems like alot, especially when you are by yourself, but its really not. Once you get comfortable with the computer system and how everything works you will likely look back on this incident and laugh. Trust me it gets easier everyday.

You have to realize you are not superwoman and cannot get everyone out of the pharmacy in less the 10 minutes. In fact you shouldn't even try that's how you make mistakes. A favorite saying I remember from long ago is undue haste makes waste. Work as fast as you need to and no faster. Since you are the only person working on the weekend you are the one to determine the speed at which things will get done. Really what it comes down to is prioritizing.

My phylosophy on the weekend is we are basically open to handle emergecy scripts everything else is a bonus. Therefore anyone coming from urgent care or the ER gets my undivided attention. Anyone else can pretty much wait. A lady getting a maintance scrpit filled on on Saturday is last priority and can certainly wait untill the next day or later in the afternon. I also let everone know I am the only one working in the pharmacy. Usually people will take the hint and either come back later or the next day. If they don't then based on what they want to wait for give them an appropriate wait time.

The bottomline is working by yourself stinks but if you manage it properly you can actually have a good stress free day.

Thanks everyone for the very good advice.

Blaming the insurance company computers is another one I never thought of, and you bet I am going to start using that one once in a while.

I also hadn't thought of restarting the Rx as new and leaving the reject in the computer. I'll have to see if my computer system allows that but if it does that is something I'll definitely keep in mind.

And MoutainPharmD I really like your idea of prioritizing ER scripts above all else. I know it seems kind of silly but sometimes I lose sight of which pts really do NEED to wait and which ones are just being unreasonable. With the amount of stress I was under yesterday I think I completely forgot to keep that organized in my mind, and as a result I was giving everyone the same wait time. The original person who pushed me over the edge yesterday was freaking out over a maintenence script which I had offered to give her a few to hold her over until I worked it out.

I know I'm still going to get flustered from time to time still but I am going to work really hard on giving pts a rational response to their behavior and not letting my emotions overcome me. I know how awful it felt to cry in front of them yesterday and I don't want to feel that way again if I can help it.

Old Timer, I know you are right about giving them realistic wait times (and I tried yesterday but I was probably a little too optimistic in what I told pts). Pts were already getting angry with the wait times I was saying (45 mins to an hour) and didn't like my explaination of "I'm on alone and there are a ton in front of you". Well people are right you can't always make them happy, I just hate it sometimes when they treat you like you are a slow/stupid/dysfunctional pharmacist when you are working your butt off as hard as you can.

I was in the top of my class in pharmacy school and did great on rotations, but that doesn't help when patients treat me like I'm an idiot because I'm young and don't recognize them by face yet. I know those aren't things I can really change so I'll stop the complaining.

Again, thanks for the advice.

The cure for anxiety is apathy. Customers got you down? **** 'em. My favorite strategy for why it takes me so long to fill an Rx is to simply say, "I'm taking this long to assure what I give you doesn't kill you." Then stare at them. DO NOT FLINCH. Stare until they look away first. Man, it really ****s with them. In a few months all of the dingus customers will have learned. Do not **** with you. If you do, you will creep them the hell out. People fear crazy people. The crazy person is a position of power. They might leave, but who cares, one less dingus for you to deal with.

But that's just me....my opinions are generally not recommended....

I bet you can get your manager on duty to allow you to "borrow" a cashier when you start having a line form like that in the future. You might even convince them to allow you to have a cashier on a daily basis during whenever your peak rush hours are. Good luck to you and keep your chin up! :)

also, if it was in a reject field that you couldnt switch it to the brand, couldnt you just have deleted the image and scanned it in again and entered it as brand that way?

That guy sounds like an a-hole and the customers behind him should realize that you are just a human being with emotions. Why should we have to have to "toughen up" and realize that people are mean and horrible? I don't want to live like that. I rather like my soft exterior and pollyanna view of the world.

Experience solves the crying issue. The secret is to become strong without becoming hard and totally unfeeling.

Customers like the pharmacist to be a rock. An anchor. Solid as an old tree. Unflappable. And mostly - perfect!

Read Dale Carnegie, "Win Friends and Influence People". It is an old book but it talks about how the average person likes to kick those who they see as 'above them'. Among other things, you are a rising target. Fresh graduate who makes a lot more money than many of your customers ever will. Some are jealous. Some want to test you. Some are like sharks drawn to blood. They are not mad at you usually . The are simply happy to take a shot at any one in your position.
Hope this make sense!

B

Above poster did make a good point; think about high school when a substitute teacher walked in.

Everyone smells blood, and a lot of people test what they can get away with. Within 2-3 minutes, you can tell if the person is a pushover or won't tolerate the crap. The trick is absolutely not caring. If you show people they can get to you, they'll push your buttons for no reason.

I'm obviously not a pharmacist yet, but I used to work in a supermarket pharmacy as a tech, and things would sometimes get to that level of insanity on the weekends. Luckily because it was a supermarket, we were able to call the front end and have them pull a cashier from one of the grocery lines to run the pharmacy register during peak hours. I see from an earlier post that you left a note about that for your manager-- good! At the very least, you should be able to call some kind of emergency code if things get too busy and you can't get away from the register. I hope things get better for you!

Next time you're feeling crappy, just think of a runny egg...
s83304022_30507180_4595.jpg

Ha ha ha ha ha. Even my wife thought your post was a hoot. That and the following phrase:

"You can wrap bunny rabbits and cotton candy around everything if you want but I don't see how that helps anyone. "

Thanks guys for the good laughs.

I'm just a P1, but I've been a technician for 5 years. I even work for one of the evil chains and at a crazy busy, chronically understaffed store. I've been on the verge of tears more than once, though usually I get mad and snippy when I'm stressed out. A couple things that help me get through those rough days:

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. People are going to be pissed off. Sometimes nothing you can do is going to be able to change that. You can't change what happened in the past. All you can do is apologize and move forward. If they want to be asses, let them make a fool of themselves but don't let them drag you down to their level (I know it's easier said then done).

Do you have a place in your pharmacy where you can "hide"? Between the shelves or whatever. Many times off I have walked off under the pretense of getting a drug bottle off the shelves and taken a moment for myself. I usually keep a water bottle by our sink (which is in an area not seen by customers). If I'm getting fed up, I'll go back and take a couple gulps of water and calm down.

I've also found that presenting the customers with a "choice" tends to diffuse their anger. I used to teach preschool, and this is a tactic they recommend when dealing with children and it works just as well with adults. If people feel like they still have some control over a situation, they're more cooperative. For example, when we're out of stock on something, I'll say "Unfortunately, we're all out of that product right now. I've got some on order for tomorrow. Would you like to pick it up then or would you like me to call and see if another location has it on hand so you can pick it up today?" With the "I'll wait" people, I say (in store) "We'll page you when it's ready, you can either have a seat or shop around" or (in the drive-thru) "It will be ready at about x:xx, you can park over there or run another errand and stop back." In a situation like yours, perhaps something like "I'm sorry, I didn't realize you wanted the brand name. I can give you a couple to hold you through the weekend or it will take me 20 minutes to get the whole thing ready. Would you like 3 tablets now or would you like to shop around for 20 minutes while I get it ready?" would work. It doesn't always work, but it tends to be better than "sorry, we're out" or "sorry, it's not done yet."

I'm usually pretty firm with my "You can have a seat and I'll let you know when it's ready", but if a patient insists on standing in the way, I ignore them. Motion for them people in line behind to step to the side or come to a different window. Go about doing whatever you need to get done. Just pretend they aren't there. They can stand and stare you down if they want, but it's not going to make things go any faster.

Get friendly with the managers of your store. Make sure they'll come back you up if things get hairy or a customer gets irate. You should feel comfortable calling them and having them help diffuse the situation. Even if the manager can come back for 5 minutes and help the people standing in line, that often smooths things over for a bit.

You also need to have a line drawn with what patient behavior you won't put up with. You should have a talk with your pharmacy manager, but there are certain things nobody should have to put up with. My former pharmacy manager is now my district manager and he's one of the most customer service/bend over backwards guys out there, but even he says that if they start cursing at you, calling you names, or insulting you, then you can tell them "if you feel that way/are going to behave that way, then I'm going to have to ask you to leave." If your upper management won't stick up for you when a customer is being completely irrational or abusive, that's when I think it's time to find someplace else to work.

If all else fails, sometimes I have to tell myself "I'd rather you be pissed off than dead."

I just listen to them yell. Say nothing. Stare at them with an expressionless, 'are you done yet?' Then I continue to say what I was saying. Once they see you're not moved emotionally to even reply on that level, they usually get the picture. If a customer is particularly unruly, I would say, 'you are welcome to use another pharmacy if you do not like the service here'!

That doesn't work in all places. But it depends on how much you are backed up by your co-workers and supervisors to have your own method of warding off such verbal assaults.

No one likes to be yelled at. Some customers are just abusive and terrible people who happen to need medications- and that's where you come in. Never rush anything either just because someone's yelling. You could do 1000X worse than a long wait for a customer, if you let the yelling get to you. By rushing, you may help them as a customer, but you'd hurt them as a patient. So stand your ground. Patients first.

If anyone yells at me or calls me names I usually say, "I am sorry you feel that way...blah, blah" and if then tell them that if they continue to act that way I will have to call security and have them escorted out. I have had security escort people out twice so far and am always sure to tell them to "have a nice day." For some reason that always makes me feel better.

When I was at my first internship a few years ago there was a customer that was consistently abusive. The pharmacist inally got fed up I guess and politely asked the lady to hold up a moment, got on the phone and came back about 5 minutes later and said, "I have come up with a solution to both our problems. If you head out the front door and across the street you will see another pharmacy. I have transferred your prescriptions there and they will be able to help you to your satisfaction, as I am afraid I am no longer able to fill your prescriptions." The quote is not exactly correct but you get the gist. I

The cure for anxiety is apathy. Customers got you down? **** 'em. My favorite strategy for why it takes me so long to fill an Rx is to simply say, "I'm taking this long to assure what I give you doesn't kill you." Then stare at them. DO NOT FLINCH. Stare until they look away first. Man, it really ****s with them. In a few months all of the dingus customers will have learned. Do not **** with you. If you do, you will creep them the hell out. People fear crazy people. The crazy person is a position of power. They might leave, but who cares, one less dingus for you to deal with.

But that's just me....my opinions are generally not recommended....

OMG ARE WE RELATED WVUPHARM. LOL

I totally agree with you. When i transfered to the store that im in now, one of the first things I told them was that "I do not practice fast food pharmacy". I simply refuse to sacrifice accuracy for speed, not saying that i work slowly. I believe in a good pace, I answer questions fully, and I keep it moving. Insurance copay questions = "call your insurance company, thats what they told us to charge you, have a nice day, we will gladly reimburse you when you get it straightened out". Then just smile at them.

When i say that it will be 35-40 min and they complain. I tell them that there are 25 people in front of them and no i cant speed theirs up. Our job is to provide safely dispensed and correct drugs to our patients, NOT TO GIVE IT TO THEM IN 15 MIN OR LESS----not apart of pharmacy oath i dont think.

Some of my coworkers run around the pharmacy like fools when people are fussing and cussing and then they try to hurry me, which is a mistake on their part. Even my pharmacy manager knows not to ORDER me to do anything. So she doesnt try to force me to speed up and throw Rx's at her or anything. Actually she commends me on how I operate in the pharmacy and has become a little more stern with the customers as well.

In the long run our patients know that what we give them is correct, even if they had to wait 5 min more.

u must stand strong and know when to hold ur ground. even though im a pre-pharm ive worked in an insanely busy (700- 1100 rx a day) miami baby beat that lol and we are always short staff (typical chit). all i can say is if someone drops off an rx and ur backed up then tell them plainly the waiting time is an hour or even 2 hell 3 if u need to BUT if its a pain med or something u feel is needed fast then half an hour is ok. never let a patient walk over u, that will be ur biggest mistake. if i was the original poster i wouldve said we are short staff and theres no way i can get ur rx less than 20 mins, u have to wait or come back later or take ur rx back if refill have it filled somewhere else.

i feel sorry for ur overwhelming experience, but i do hope you will be able to deal with other abusive and rude customers who will present themselves to you in the future.
Congratulations on your career and try not to let some people put you down.keep your head!!!!all the best

You can never make everyone happy. Ever.

Do your best 24/7. If its not enough, its just not enough. Its not YOUR fault after that. :thumbup:

My favorite strategy for why it takes me so long to fill an Rx is to simply say, "I'm taking this long to assure what I give you doesn't kill you." Then stare at them. DO NOT FLINCH. Stare until they look away first.

That's the best thing I've ever heard! I wish I had heard this months ago, I would have DEFINITELY used it at CVS. I'll put it in my hip pocket for the future! That's great!!! :laugh:

---------------------------------------------------
"Don't drive me crazy -- it's within walking distance."