I did a bad thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimBone905

OMS4
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called LECOM and VCOM asking about my admissions status. I freaked out a little on the phone with one of them too. Did i pretty much just throw my app in the garbage? They ladies who answered were super nice and encouraging but I'm afraid it might be a facade. I wish I never called... Is there any hope for me still?

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you freak out on them?

Why did you freak out on them?

It was just for that one school. The lady started talking about how she gets tons of these calls and it's not a big deal and she understands how stressful it is and I was just telling her how I feel about it also and she was super nice and liked listening to me and I said "yeah it's so stressful waiting to hear back it makes you want to hear the news as soon as possible". Stupid thing to say but she seemed like a nice person. Idk if she cared but she basically told me to relax and don't worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be fine as long as you weren't angry/yelling at them or anything. It was definitely not necessary but it seems like you were just being honest with her, and hopefully she helped calm you down.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you started crying hysterically on the phone or cursed at the adcom, I'm sure you're fine, and I highly doubt your phone call affected the status of your application. Easier said than done, but you need to relax and get your mind off of applications for a while.

Reactions: 1 users
I would never be rude to an adcom or start crying. My tone might have been more layed back and I was honestly trying to connect with her on an emotional level which might have sounded a little depressed/desparate from that one comment i made. Bless their souls for taking the time out to listen to premeds worry.

My tone might have been more layed back and I was honestly trying to connect with her on an emotional level which might have sounded a little depressed/desparate from that one comment i made

I completely understand. From experience having driven myself a little crazy the last time I applied, I think the best thing you can do right now is to put it out of your mind and keep yourself productively distracted. A watched pot and all that.

Lol, it' s only been about a month since you submitted secondaries. Why are you making calls already?

Reactions: 4 users
Lol, it' s only been about a month since you submitted secondaries. Why are you making calls already?
Some people (like one of my friends friends) get invites like right away. Makes me nervous as to why I didn't. My

Some people (like one of my friends friends) get invites like right away. Makes me nervous as to why I didn't. My

You're not at the top of their application piles because (1) you're a late applicant and (2) they triage the applications on the basis of stats and you have a below-average cGPA and MCAT. No need to make calls yet.

Don’t try to emotionally connect with any more schools. It’s not going to move your application up and worse it could make you sound mentally unstable. I doubt damage was done this time but in the future.

It was just for that one school. The lady started talking about how she gets tons of these calls and it's not a big deal and she understands how stressful it is and I was just telling her how I feel about it also and she was super nice and liked listening to me and I said "yeah it's so stressful waiting to hear back it makes you want to hear the news as soon as possible". Stupid thing to say but she seemed like a nice person. Idk if she cared but she basically told me to relax and don't worry about it.
Take two of these:
upload_2018-12-4_10-19-50.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
If it's true you only submitted a month ago then you are a very late applicant. You can't expect them to push your application to the top when you could be the 4000th or 7000th application. You are at the bottom of the stack and will be viewed accordingly. If I were you I would start thinking about plan B and coming up with a game plan to improve your application for the next 6 months. You don't want may to roll around with no new additions to your application. Just be prepared to reapply in june to put yourself at the top of the stack next cycle. With that being said, you can still certainly get in, but plan for the worst and hope for the best!

Last edited:
No two applications are the same and no two applicants are created equal. Though the difference may be subtle it can make a world of difference to the adcoms.

Yeah...... you gotta chill. If you come across in secondaries or interviews the way you do in this thread you're going to have a rough time.

Reactions: 4 users
The quickest way to have your app end in the circular file is to be rude to an admin assistant. It appears you were far from that so please take @Goros advice. Good luck and best wishes.

Even the chillest people in med school have major episodes of depression and anxiety from time to time. Learn to stay level headed now or med school won't be easy on you.

I called LECOM and VCOM asking about my admissions status. I freaked out a little on the phone with one of them too. Did i pretty much just throw my app in the garbage? They ladies who answered were super nice and encouraging but I'm afraid it might be a facade. I wish I never called... Is there any hope for me still?

I’m still waiting to hear back from LECOM. My secondary is still pending when I log in, sent it back in July of 2017. Be patient my friend it might be awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would never be rude to an adcom or start crying. My tone might have been more layed back and I was honestly trying to connect with her on an emotional level which might have sounded a little depressed/desparate from that one comment i made. Bless their souls for taking the time out to listen to premeds worry.
As a lesson to others, don't do this. Talking with admission staff in the vast majority of cases will have a neutral effect, but negative results are far more likely than positive ones for those interactions that are not neutral

Thank you all for the advice. Ill definitely try to relax more. Realistically though, when should I expect to be seeing II come in if they were to come in at all? I'm guessing I won't receive too many II until after December due to the holiday season. So maybe Jan/feb? I'll be planning an mcat retake by then for may prior to my possible reapplication.

You will see interviews as late as April. There is no expectant time

They got your money to apply so what you are doing is reasonable. I suggest calling all programs that don't communicate with you. When applying for residency, I got two more interviews from my back up programs after calling, they actually made some type of error and wanted to interview me. Without the call, I wouldn't have got an interview. Don't be annoying but verifying application is being considered is definitely worth it.