I did a legit poster presentation for my class, should I add it to AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omegaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was a legit poster after a semester of research. I also did a presentation for a company that I interned for. Should I also list that presentation separately from the internship experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Mention the poster in the free text section of each experience. To give them separate listings seems like "slicing the salami" and making a few experiences seem like more.

Mention the poster in the free text section of each experience. To give them separate listings seems like "slicing the salami" and making a few experiences seem like more.
I can do that for my internship experience entry. But since my research is done for a class, I didn't add that experience to AMCAS. So is it worth it to add a separate poster presentation entry for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can do that for my internship experience entry. But since my research is done for a class, I didn't add that experience to AMCAS. So is it worth it to add a separate poster presentation entry for it?
Did you do actual hypothesis driven research in that class (i.e. not canned experiments)? If so, I'd argue that research warrants its own experience where you can include a sentence about your poster presentation.

Did you do actual hypothesis driven research in that class (i.e. not canned experiments)? If so, I'd argue that research warrants its own experience where you can include a sentence about your poster presentation.
It is an actual hypothesis driven research. It's not your typical lab experimental exercise done using a lab manual. All I was given is a research topic, and I had to come up with an hypothesis and a way to test it.

It is an actual hypothesis driven research. It's not your typical lab experimental exercise done using a lab manual. All I was given is a research topic, and I had to come up with an hypothesis and a way to test it.
Then that warrants its own research experience on AMCAS.

But did you then go and actually execute that plan? Or was the poster just a presentation of the plan?

But did you then go and actually execute that plan? Or was the poster just a presentation of the plan?
Oh, I did carry out the experiment and got results. I also wrote a paper. And poster is a presentation of my research from hypothesis to future plans.

Where were the presentations given, and to whom? For presentations IMO it makes a big difference if it was to fellow students in your UG class or to professionals in the field. You wrote a paper, for publication or submission to the professor?

Did every student in the class present a similar poster or did you go "above and beyond?" I TA'd for a class where students were required to present a poster on hypothesis-driven research at a school academic festival but many went on to present at a regional science conference. In their case, which may be different or less rigorous than yours, I would not recommend they include the poster presentation given at the school academic conference but would for the regional conference, because there was no barrier to getting their abstract accepted to the one at our institution, even if it did build skills.

If you have room out of your 15 slots and feel that this research experience will properly demonstrate your skills and set you apart from other applicants (with research experience) then yes. However, if you have a publication or similar achievement, it might come off as insignificant or water down your app.