I didn't think of this before -- really want to make sure it's not a dishonesty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustOneQuestion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this for months, very helpful material. I made a screen-name just to ask this question. Please don't think I'm a troll -- I am a class of 2015 hopeful. Submitted my AMCAS on the first day and am waiting for secondaries now.

Here is my situation:

I applied without my last quarter of grades, and indicated them as "future" on the primary.
In the honors and awards section, I included an award I had qualified for at my college that requires a GPA of 3.7. I had a 3.9 at the time of application. Here is exactly what I put:
"Qualified to graduate with X award (GPA 3.9)."
I did not elaborate on the 3.9, I meant it as my current GPA, didn't mean to imply it would be my final GPA (had no way of knowing of course)

I just got my spring quarter grades back, and I did slightly worse than I thought in one class, and my final GPA will be 3.88.

I hope this is okay and that what I put on the awards section was not dishonest -- my GPA really was 3.9 and was verified as such on my AMCAS. I hope I didn't imply that I was going to graduate with that GPA. Do you guys think it's implied that I didn't mean that since I indicated I had future classes that haven't finished yet?
I still qualified for the award at graduation and will receive it. But I just don't want people to think that was a little lie for the GPA. I obviously didn't mean to/didn't think too much about it. But scrutinizing it now, am just hoping that since the 3.9 I put down was consistent with the truth at the time of application, it'll be okay.

P.S. Yes I will update schools with my spring grades. Should I specifically include "final GPA 3.88" just to be sure?

Thank you guys so much and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

You are a liar. Schedule your LSAT exam dishonest person.

I am a worry freak myself, and even I think u're being a bit too paranoid. 1. med schools know that your grades will fluctuate, so it's natural. 2. these people have hundreds of apps to look through; they're probably not going to even notice and even if they did, I'd highly doubt that they'd care. 3. if they really want you that 0.02 discrepancy is not going to keep you out and keep them from interviewing you. It's not lying; it's only normal for your grades to change, and honestly 1/2 way through your post, I was already lost on what actually happened and had to go back and read it again. You're fine. Stop worrying and get on top of those secondaries and you'll do great with that kind of GPA (assuming you owned on the MCATs as well). Good luck~

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a worry freak myself, and even I think u're being a bit too paranoid. 1. med schools know that your grades will fluctuate, so it's natural. 2. these people have hundreds of apps to look through; they're probably not going to even notice and even if they did, I'd highly doubt that they'd care. 3. if they really want you that 0.02 discrepancy is not going to keep you out and keep them from interviewing you. It's not lying; it's only normal for your grades to change, and honestly 1/2 way through your post, I was already lost on what actually happened and had to go back and read it again. You're fine. Stop worrying and get on top of those secondaries and you'll do great with that kind of GPA (assuming you owned on the MCATs as well). Good luck~
This. And also:

4. AMCAS really doesn't care what an individual institution thinks your GPA is, because that can include grade forgiveness which doesn't exist in AMCASland. They calculate their own GPA for you and ignore everything else.

It's not a huge deal, but you look like an idiot for putting that down on your application and then not receiving the award.

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this for months, very helpful material. I made a screen-name just to ask this question. Please don't think I'm a troll -- I am a class of 2015 hopeful. Submitted my AMCAS on the first day and am waiting for secondaries now.

Here is my situation:

I applied without my last quarter of grades, and indicated them as "future" on the primary.
In the honors and awards section, I included an award I had qualified for at my college that requires a GPA of 3.7. I had a 3.9 at the time of application. Here is exactly what I put:
"Qualified to graduate with X award (GPA 3.9)."
I did not elaborate on the 3.9, I meant it as my current GPA, didn't mean to imply it would be my final GPA (had no way of knowing of course)

I just got my spring quarter grades back, and I did slightly worse than I thought in one class, and my final GPA will be 3.88.

I hope this is okay and that what I put on the awards section was not dishonest -- my GPA really was 3.9 and was verified as such on my AMCAS. I hope I didn't imply that I was going to graduate with that GPA. Do you guys think it's implied that I didn't mean that since I indicated I had future classes that haven't finished yet?
I still qualified for the award at graduation and will receive it. But I just don't want people to think that was a little lie for the GPA. I obviously didn't mean to/didn't think too much about it. But scrutinizing it now, am just hoping that since the 3.9 I put down was consistent with the truth at the time of application, it'll be okay.

P.S. Yes I will update schools with my spring grades. Should I specifically include "final GPA 3.88" just to be sure?

Thank you guys so much and good luck to everyone!

Lol... read!!! OP are you talking about special distinction? we have that for a 3.9+ at my school.

If you received the award, then you're fine. And if, for some stupid reason, an interviewer asked about it, just tell them the truth. It was an honest mistake.

Lol... read!!! OP are you talking about special distinction? we have that for a 3.9+ at my school.

If you received the award, then you're fine. And if, for some stupid reason, an interviewer asked about it, just tell them the truth. It was an honest mistake.

tl;dr

Thanks guys. I know I'm very paranoid, but I'm guessing most of you know what that's like :p.

It was stupid for me to put "GPA blah blah blah" without having graduated, even though I was just elaborating on what qualifying for the award meant.

I wanted to make sure it's not lying if the AMCAS information is true at time of submission. What happens after that belongs in an update I guess.

Yeah OP you are fine.

As far as I understand, your AMCAS information has to be true at the moment of submission, which for you it was. Any later developments belong in updates.

You can put "Final GPA: 3.88" on your updates if it makes you less paranoid.