I don't get it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am browsing through threads and I see a lot of posters say that they were rejected with 3.8 gpa, 33 MCAT, strong ECs or that their friends had stats in the same range and were rejected. Is it possible that you could be a superb applicant (3.8 gpa, 33-35 MCAT, strong ECs, interview well) and still get rejected (assuming you apply to AAMC average of 14 schools (good mix of schools))? It seems to me that a strong applicant in every area would get into at least 1 school if they applied to 14-18 schools. That's my conjecture though. Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe their ECs, PS and LORs were not as strong as they thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am browsing through threads and I see a lot of posters say that they were rejected with 3.8 gpa, 33 MCAT, strong ECs or that their friends had stats in the same range and were rejected. Is it possible that you could be a superb applicant (3.8 gpa, 33-35 MCAT, strong ECs, interview well) and still get rejected (assuming you apply to AAMC average of 14 schools (good mix of schools))? It seems to me that a strong applicant in every area would get into at least 1 school if they applied to 14-18 schools. That's my conjecture though. Your thoughts?

If they are truly as strong as they appeared, I agree they would get in no problem. It's tough to get in, but if you have accumulated those stats, you would get in somewhere (barring you didn't apply or interview like a jackass).

I've been looking at this too, but it seems that most in the thread were applying to top 20 Medical schools.
I can also say that maybe their PS or EC's weren't all that great.
Maybe they are socially awkward.

Even if you have great stats, if you only apply to highly ranked schools that see hundreds and thousands of similar applicants, you might not get in anywhere.

There are other things, of course. When's the last time someone said "I didn't really have any good LORs"? Never. Maybe your LORs aren't as good as you think. Your personal statement might have been a little weird. Maybe you're a little weird. I've done med school interviews, and a few people were a little off. Nobody was a real nutcase, but when the competition is stiff, you have to be able to put on a pretty good face for at least a half hour interview.

Some people think they interview better than they really do. Some have attitudes and beliefs that set interviewers' teeth on edge. Some have personalities that dont' seem to be a good fit with medicine or with a particular school's teaching style.

In some instances, a letter of recommendation is so bad that someone with excellent stats won't get interviews or will have interviews that confirm what is written in the letters.

It's also really early in the cycle, let's see the poignancy of this thread come March or April...I would be shocked if any applicants OP describes have not received at least one acceptance.

Honestly, if I was applying with decent stats and after a few weeks I get rejected from a few top schools, I would be pretty depressed and a little bit angry, and I know for a fact one thing I might do is go on a forum and make a thread saying I have amazing stats and got rejected (bump everything up a few points- just to add "integrity").
That's one of my theories.
And also, they could be straight up lying.
Or bad LOR, or interview, etc.

My premed adviser told me a story about such an applicant. 4.0 and 39 MCAT. Only problem is, he would let you know about it. He was blatantly arrogant, even with professors. The committee wrote in its letter, unbeknownst to him that they did not recommend him. Result; rejections across the board.

I am sure he could just as well create a thread asking why this happened, thinking his ECs, LORs etc were perfect. In such cases, there is always some reason that gets repeated with every application that results in all rejections. It could be interviewing, PS, inability to communicate why medicine, etc.

SHORT ANSWER: Kids on sdn lie or exaggerate their stats.

Any combination of:

A) top heavy application
B) LoRs/ECs aren't all that great
C) AMCAS descriptions/personal statement/secondaries are poorly written
D) arrogance, douchiness, socially awkward, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I applied broadly, have good stats, pretty solid LoRs, and am a pretty hoopy frood.

And I'm still totally terrified about getting rejected. :( There's just no telling.

Yea, LORs, ECs, and PS speaks volumes beyond the numbers.

Typically, if the applicant meets a certain cut-off of GPA & MCAT, and applied early enough, adcom members will look at their app with their human eyes! They obviously found something they didn't like...hmmm...what else is left? LORs, ECs, and the PS!

It's also really early in the cycle, let's see the poignancy of this thread come March or April...I would be shocked if any applicants OP describes have not received at least one acceptance.

agreed! It is still verrry early in the process.

My premed adviser told me a story about such an applicant. 4.0 and 39 MCAT. Only problem is, he would let you know about it. He was blatantly arrogant, even with professors. The committee wrote in its letter, unbeknownst to him that they did not recommend him. Result; rejections across the board.

wow, how much of a jerk does someone have to be for a pre-med committee to actually advocate rejection from med school?

You have to remember at the end of the day its also a numbers game. I'm sure the top-20 schools could fill their classes 2 or 3 times over with equally qualified candidates, so at some point some of thats going to be a crap shoot. I have seen many people who applied too top-heavy become a victim of being unlucky, or having a bad interview day, when they would have been just as competent as those who got accepted. Just make sure you apply broadly, dont be arrogant, make sure to have good LOR and it should all turn out just fine.

I know a dude who got a 40 MCAT, solid GPA and didn't get in anywhere because he chocked hard on interviews. It happens

Maybe they are the people who go into medicine and can't give a good answer as to why they want too.

I am sure he could just as well create a thread asking why this happened, thinking his ECs, LORs etc were perfect. In such cases, there is always some reason that gets repeated with every application that results in all rejections. It could be interviewing, PS, inability to communicate why medicine, etc.

Wow. I'm definitely going to use that LOR evaluating service thingy for sure come my application cycle.