I don't Know what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiredoc27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just graduated from college with a terrible 2.5 GPA in Medicinal Chemistry. I've always wanted to go into medicine since I was young and seeing my performance when I was in school have disgusted me. I've taken the MCATs twice already and have not gotten a good score (this was during the school year without taking a pre-course only using a Kaplan book). Throughout my college career I've been stressed with school and personal family issues. Things have calmed down since then and I feel like I can put in forth a lot of effort into studying for the MCATs trying to see if I can get a good score to at least have a chance in getting into a good caribbean school. Please let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

A 2.5 is going to be extremely hard to overcome, especially since you have a science degree. If you can perform well on the MCAT, you should at least have a shot at getting into one of the better Carib schools. However, be very careful. You say you're disappointed with your GPA, but have your work ethic and ability to cope with stressful workloads improved? I'd advise taking a year of post-bac work to bring up your GPA and prove (to yourself, if nothing else) that you can handle tough science courses. You don't want to run the risk of burying yourself in debt at the for-profit Carib schools and failing out with nothing but $150k of loans to show for your efforts.