I don't know where I stand and I don't know if I should delay my exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowlightfox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my scores in the order that I took them:

NBME 13: 217
NBME 15: 220
NBME 16: 244
NBME 19: 238
NBME 17: 234

The first two were probably from my jitters of doing what I felt like an exam.

Things seemed fine, especially if NBME 19 supposedly underpredicts, but my recent exam, I went down in score. I don't really know where I stand with my performance oscillating. My exam is scheduled next week.

Is there any advice you can give me?

Members don't see this ad.

NBME 15- 222
NBME 18- 216
my exam is in 2 weeks...any advice for me?
my target is to cross 230 somehow!!!

In your case, I would study the weak areas in first aid, and do relevant UWorld questions again assuming you finished your first pass. I would also save UWSA 2 for last few days before your exam as that is the most indicative of all your scores.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldnt sweat 1 drop in your score since it seems like you generally have an upward trend anyway. Plus, a 238 on nbme 19 is a very promising sign. Just stay positive, hope for the best, and let those uwsa's boost your confidence whenever it is you end up taking them. Def worth taking them, considering 1 or 2 concepts from the self assessments not covered in the qbank actually showed up on my actual exam. And fwiw, having just recently taken step1, the questions on my exam did not resemble the question style of any of the nbme's. It was more like taking the most difficult uworld question set of 40 that you've ever had and multiplying that by 7. Maybe its because only the difficult questions continue to stand out to me in my mind, but looking back that's all I could really remember. My practice test scores are very similar to your most recent ones, by the way, and I really felt like having an extra month of studying under my belt wouldn't have been of much benefit to me, especially considering I've exhausted all the standard/best resources available to me about 2 weeks ago. I honestly felt like having 1 less month would've actually yielded similar results for me also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I'm a 4th year cardiac surgery resident at USC. I would caution against spending so much money on a review course because with the right study habits, mindset, nutrition and physical training, we can achieve great results on the STEP. I've been offering affordable high efficiency coaching for STEP 1/2/3 prep. If you want to chat about my experiences and hear about how I can help reach out to me. Give me a PM and we can schedule a 10 min call about working together.

Dan

With all due respect, since I already made it clear that I'm taking my boards very soon, I don't like the fact that I'm being advertised using resource preps. It's like someone saying they're taking their MCAT tomorrow and you're posting about how they should sign up for MCAP prep tutoring program. It makes you come off as desperate.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I'm a 4th year cardiac surgery resident at USC. I would caution against spending so much money on a review course because with the right study habits, mindset, nutrition and physical training, we can achieve great results on the STEP. I've been offering affordable high efficiency coaching for STEP 1/2/3 prep. If you want to chat about my experiences and hear about how I can help reach out to me. Give me a PM and we can schedule a 10 min call about working together.

Dan

Dear Dan,

if you need money - focus on your last year rotation buddy - trust me it will do you more good than scimming some MS2/3 poor students for extra buck. If you have extra time - then you are not putting your full effort into your work - once again, trust me this will backfire on you soon, so go focus on your work bud.
You worry about spending other peoples money for Prep courses that are long established and yet you want poor MS2/3 folks spend their money on you lol. And I'm sure some Dan provides a lot better prep course than all the others, no less. We believe you Dan. But once again, instead of worrying about how other students spend their own money - you better focus on your job Dan.

Finally, no one said anything about taking expensive prep courses lol. Which just shows that you didn't even read the topic and just popped in to post your "services". If you want to advertise - pay for it and post adds officially without spamming threads with your crap man. For facks sake you are a 4th year surgery resident and can't wait 1 year before you start making descent money? You HAVE to spam and make pennies on poor students instead of focusing on your job? Are you so greedy or so poor? Or both? What the fack is wrong with you Dan?
There's a picture of you with 2 other dudes when some local radio station interviewed you guys - where you stand in ****ty white coat with ugly spots all over, you couldn't even wash your facking coat man before interview, others have ID badge, while you don't, but instead you have a very artificial green on your face. And of course the things you talk is about budget of course - I mean it's so obvious. Come on man, cut that ****, stop spamming and stop been so greedy for money, you'll get your share soon. Now go focus on your current work, go wash your freaking coat at least. Man I feel like I'm teaching a 5yo

long forgotten,
your conscience

Last edited: