I don't like ALL animals...should I still pursue DVM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pursue DVM with fear of snakes, rats, mice, possum, lizards?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Animalorhuman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to pursue DVM to help decrease stray dog populations but that doesn't pay so eventually I will work in a clinic... but I don't like rodents and reptiles. I wonder if it's still worth it to go for DVM if I am limited in what animals I feel comfortable/willing to treat?

What do you guys think? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

You can be a vet and never encounter a reptile/rodent, though you may have to handle them in vet school. I graduated in 2015 and have yet to see an animal that isn't a cat/dog/small mammal/bird since then.

I can't think of a single vet (let alone a single person) who likes ALL animals. You can be a vet and limit yourself to one species, if you wish, but you will almost assuredly need to work with (if not handle) them while in vet school.

Most vet clinics in larger cities don't see anything other dogs and cats; clinics in towns and more rural areas will likely need to see them since there aren't many other options -- but even there most bosses will be happy to let you avoid those patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to pursue DVM to help decrease stray dog populations but that doesn't pay so eventually I will work in a clinic... but I don't like rodents and reptiles. I wonder if it's still worth it to go for DVM if I am limited in what animals I feel comfortable/willing to treat?

What do you guys think? Thanks :)
Personal opinion here, so feel free to ignore, but...I don't know about refusing to treat a certain animal in need just because you don't like it. is it okay not to like it? Sure. I don't have the greatest time ever when I handle pet tarantulas, roaches, etc. Will I ever say 'No, sorry, I refuse to treat x because I don't like them'? No. You also won't ever be comfortable with animals you refuse to expose yourself to, either. I have a lot of friends who really don't like birds and have made efforts to desense themselves to birds by working in our wildlife clinic. They don't plan on seeing birds as part of their GP, but want to be able to at least stabilize a bird in an emergency situation so the client can get to the closest exotics practice (many clients often have to drive hours to see a vet that is experienced in exotics).

Frankly, I don't like pugs. Like at all. I haven't met a pug that I do like, including my best friend's dog :p Should I refuse to treat them?

It's one thing to turn away clients with exotic pets because you don't have the experience to see exotics on a GP basis. Most clients with exotic pets will either already have a dedicated exotics vet (which wouldn't be you), or will be calling around looking for someone to see their exotic pet for an emergency. If you're the last clinic open, the closest, whatever...

Maybe I'm being unrealistic, as I've quite often found myself being handed a species I've never worked with before/am not comfortable with and being told to triage (I've literally been handed an alligator before...) and have told myself to get over my hangups and do what I can with the knowledge I have. I understand that others may not be willing to do something like that.

Besides my soapbox moment..I think it's quite realistic to go into the field with the desire to work with only cats/dogs. A decent percentage of practicing vets do just that, although exotic pets are only becoming more common (as is the client's desire to provide these animals with veterinary care, aka revenue for the clinic).

Edit: Referring to the 'Grossest Things' thread too...but should I also refuse to see a patient covered in maggots just because they make me gag and dry heave?

Reactions: 1 user
You can almost 100% avoid those species or at least only handle them sporadically. Hell you generally have to go out of your way to get experience with those species. I think we had one or two rodent handling labs in school, one bird lab and definitely no reptiles in the core curriculum.

That said, emegencies happen and in private practice you may occassionally find yourself faced with them. Chronic illness and wellness stuff can be passed to a local vet that likes that work, but be prepared to handle those species every now and then for true emergencies. I had a collapsed bearded dragon a few weeks ago. Another clinic turned them away without even looking at it, the client was livid. They knew I wasn't super well versed in reptile medicine (yes I Googled "bearded dragon heart rate") but were glad someone was willing to try.

Personal opinion here, so feel free to ignore, but...I don't know about refusing to treat a certain animal in need just because you don't like it. is it okay not to like it? Sure. I don't have the greatest time ever when I handle pet tarantulas, roaches, etc. Will I ever say 'No, sorry, I refuse to treat x because I don't like them'? No. You also won't ever be comfortable with animals you refuse to expose yourself to, either. I have a lot of friends who really don't like birds and have made efforts to desense themselves to birds by working in our wildlife clinic. They don't plan on seeing birds as part of their GP, but want to be able to at least stabilize a bird in an emergency situation so the client can get to the closest exotics practice (many clients often have to drive hours to see a vet that is experienced in exotics).

Frankly, I don't like pugs. Like at all. I haven't met a pug that I do like, including my best friend's dog :p Should I refuse to treat them?

It's one thing to turn away clients with exotic pets because you don't have the experience to see exotics on a GP basis. Most clients with exotic pets will either already have a dedicated exotics vet (which wouldn't be you), or will be calling around looking for someone to see their exotic pet for an emergency. If you're the last clinic open, the closest, whatever...

Maybe I'm being unrealistic, as I've quite often found myself being handed a species I've never worked with before/am not comfortable with and being told to triage (I've literally been handed an alligator before...) and have told myself to get over my hangups and do what I can with the knowledge I have. I understand that others may not be willing to do something like that.

Besides my soapbox moment..I think it's quite realistic to go into the field with the desire to work with only cats/dogs. A decent percentage of practicing vets do just that, although exotic pets are only becoming more common (as is the client's desire to provide these animals with veterinary care, aka revenue for the clinic).

Edit: Referring to the 'Grossest Things' thread too...but should I also refuse to see a patient covered in maggots just because they make me gag and dry heave?

Actually, yes, I can refuse to treat certain species. I have no legal obligation to treat certain species and the clinic I work at isn't set up for nor carries the supplies needed to treat some species.

I don't treat birds because I don't like them. Done. No questions. I will euthanize a bird if needed but I will not treat them even in an emergency.

Reactions: 2 users
You can absolutely avoid animals. My clinic is the only one in the town I work that will see a non dog/cat species, so if you worked for any other clinic... you'd be solid. Outside of zombie apocalypse situations, I don't think anyone should feel that you are *required* to see animals you're not comfortable with. Goodness knows I don't want anyone forcing me to see horses.

Reactions: 1 users

Yes, you can refuse to treat. Will that mean that job isn't right for you and you should find another job? Yup - in fact, you might be forced to find another job, LOL, but that's a different issue. No vet HAS to treat every species, and I certainly think not being willing to treat every species should not disqualify anyone from pursuing a vet degree. I think that if you don't want to treat an animal covered in maggots for any reason (even a personal one like they make you gag), you don't have to unless there are no other options available anywhere and that animal is a regular patient of your clinic. No one should feel like they must climb every mountain just because they're a vet.

I never said anyone is legally obligated to treat all species, I literally stated that what I said was opinion. It's just a little weird to me that someone would tell themselves he/she will never see a certain species under any circumstances (not exactly what OP said) due to fear/dislike/disgust, and is more or less (based on the phrasing) considering canning the career option depending on the replies given in this thread. Also never said OP shouldn't pursue a DVM, as I mentioned it is quite reasonable to assume you will land a cat/dog only job.

Also should mention that I'm biased anyways, as I work with all of the species listed on that poll. I get a little irked when they get treated as lower class animals. Not saying that was implied or anything.

I get a little irked when they get treated as lower class animals.

Actually a veterinarian having the ability to stop themselves from treating anything and everything under the sun because they know that they are not the best option for a certain species is the exact opposite of treating them as "lower class animals". I think part of being a good veterinarian is recognizing your own limitations, whether that be declining removing a dog's gallbladder because a surgeon should be doing that or whether that be declining seeing snakes because you don't have the proper equipment to handle them and treat them. Or declining to see birds because you wouldn't even be able to do a proper exam on them. You wouldn't expect a GP dog/cat vet to see a Clydesdale horse, right? So why expect them to see a bearded dragon, bird, sugar glider or other? Would you expect an equine or food animal vet to see a bearded dragon, bird, sugar glider, cayman, etc? Just because the animal can fit into a small animal hospital building doesn't mean that is the right place or person to be seeing that particular pet. Being able to recognize what you can't do is just as important to being a good vet as good communication or surgical skills/IM knowledge.

Actually a veterinarian having the ability to stop themselves from treating anything and everything under the sun because they know that they are not the best option for a certain species is the exact opposite of treating them as "lower class animals". I think part of being a good veterinarian is recognizing your own limitations, whether that be declining removing a dog's gallbladder because a surgeon should be doing that or whether that be declining seeing snakes because you don't have the proper equipment to handle them and treat them. Or declining to see birds because you wouldn't even be able to do a proper exam on them. You wouldn't expect a GP dog/cat vet to see a Clydesdale horse, right? So why expect them to see a bearded dragon, bird, sugar glider or other? Would you expect an equine or food animal vet to see a bearded dragon, bird, sugar glider, cayman, etc? Just because the animal can fit into a small animal hospital building doesn't mean that is the right place or person to be seeing that particular pet. Being able to recognize what you can't do is just as important to being a good vet as good communication or surgical skills/IM knowledge.
My context was moreso on an emergency basis. Either way, opinion.

ETA: Also the fact that you're still saying you'd refuse treatment based on a lack of experience, not 'Sorry, I don't like that animal/I'm afraid of it.'

Last edited:
My context was moreso on an emergency basis. Either way, opinion.

I would say even more so on an emergency basis you want someone who knows what they are doing. Again, would you expect a small animal vet to see a pony, goat or donkey on an ER basis? Knowing that they don't have the experience and most likely don't have the equipment to treat them? Why does that change when discussing exotic species then? Heck many small animal vets that own horses/cattle/etc won't treat them and many equine/food animal only vets that own dogs and cats don't treat their own dogs and cats. I've heard of vets killing exotic species attempting to treat them when they really don't know what they are doing (i.e. antibiotic use in rabbits as an example), it just isn't worth it for the animal or the vet (possible risk of losing license).

I would say even more so on an emergency basis you want someone who knows what they are doing. Again, would you expect a small animal vet to see a pony, goat or donkey on an ER basis? Knowing that they don't have the experience and most likely don't have the equipment to treat them? Why does that change when discussing exotic species then? Heck many small animal vets that own horses/cattle/etc won't treat them and many equine/food animal only vets that own dogs and cats don't treat their own dogs and cats. I've heard of vets killing exotic species attempting to treat them when they really don't know what they are doing (i.e. antibiotic use in rabbits as an example), it just isn't worth it for the animal or the vet (possible risk of losing license).

This. During my internship I had four exotics present to me. Our hospital policy was officially dogs and cats only, but if the vet on duty was willing certain people would sometimes see pocket pets. One was a hamster essentially DOA (heart stopped as I was ausculting to see if it was even alive). One was a tachypneic mouse...no clue what to do, so I offered euthanasia with me or go to the vet school 10 miles away. They went to the vet school. A ferret with a known insulinoma came for euthanasia so I did that. Someone called with a bird and I had me techs tell them not to even stop because I didn’t know anything about birds and wasn’t comfortable treating. I also don’t like birds, which probably does play into my lack of vet knowledge with them. I’d euthanize almost anything if they needed, but Like DVMD said, those animals were much better served seeing someone else then me. I don’t want to risk my license doing something I really don’t have the experience or desire to treat.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I just like some animals and they have changed my life, what do you think about that?

ETA: Also the fact that you're still saying you'd refuse treatment based on a lack of experience, not 'Sorry, I don't like that animal/I'm afraid of it.'

Do you think these aren't related? I hate birds, I also have limited experience with them and no desire to obtain more. I think if you strongly dislike something you're also very unlikely to have knowledge/experience with them. So, they aren't really separate issues.

I mean, it isn't like I plow over birds with my car or anything, but, I really don't like them and prefer to not see them. Having said that, I've sent a number of birds to Jesus because they needed it. I don't see exotics and I don't feel bad about it. They need expert care just like a dog or cat and I'm not an expert nor do I want to be.

Do you think these aren't related? I hate birds, I also have limited experience with them and no desire to obtain more. I think if you strongly dislike something you're also very unlikely to have knowledge/experience with them. So, they aren't really separate issues.

I mean, it isn't like I plow over birds with my car or anything, but, I really don't like them and prefer to not see them. Having said that, I've sent a number of birds to Jesus because they needed it. I don't see exotics and I don't feel bad about it. They need expert care just like a dog or cat and I'm not an expert nor do I want to be.
But you still were willing to see a bird in dire need of emergency euthanasia, so...that's my point exactly. You didn't say 'Sorry, I don't like them, it's going to have to die on it's own/keep calling around.' An exotic pet doesn't need an exotics expert to stop a bleeding blood feather, stabilize a fracture/get pain control so the owner can make the drive to the exotics expert two states away, and so on. Heck, you don't even need to know much to euthanize. You just need to know what to expect when euthanizing a reptile or amphibian.

ETA:
I actually did work for a vet who would see minor emergencies (wounds, almost anything non-surgical) when the only local LA/farm vet couldn't get there in a reasonable time frame. She saved several goats acutely down from pregnancy toxemia once and did a few other quick saves/stabilizations while I was with her. She by no means called herself an experienced farm vet and knew her limitations, but could help when in a pinch, at least until the other vet could make it to the location.

Antibiotics in rabbits is not usually something one is dealing with when it comes to the typical rabbit emergency (which usually ends in euthanasia unless you have the rare owner who is very aware). Again, I repeat, I'm not referring to exotics GP at all.

Although if you want to get into details, one would argue that using Clavamox/oral beta lactams in a rabbit is asking to get your license taken away/malpractice. It's pretty well known that it is completely contraindicated. If you don't know it, it's on VIN as well as probably hundreds of other reliable sources. You'd hope that if you truly had no clue and were in fact still trying to see exotics on a GP basis, you'd do some research or have at least a textbook. You would have to be looking up the proper dosage at some point and come across this info (basic logic? cats =/= dogs and have different dosages, so you'd hope someone would make the conclusion that a rabbit would have a different drug dosage too). I'd call anything else irresponsible at best :shrug:

Last edited:
But you still were willing to see a bird in dire need of emergency euthanasia, so...that's my point exactly. You didn't say 'Sorry, I don't like them, it's going to have to die on it's own/keep calling around.' An exotic pet doesn't need an exotics expert to stop a bleeding blood feather, stabilize a fracture/get pain control so the owner can make the drive to the exotics expert two states away, and so on. Heck, you don't even need to know much to euthanize. You just need to know what to expect when euthanizing a reptile or amphibian.

Luckily for me, the exotics experts are 10-30 minutes away. :)

But I really wouldn't feel comfortable stabilizing a fracture on a bird...do I need to sedate? How? What is safe? Will my techs know how to monitor? There's also the staff knowledge and safety aspect to consider too.

But, yes, I will euthanize most anything if needed. Might have to VIN how but I'll get it done.

As an aside: My tech got chewed out this morning because we wouldn't see her hamster on an emergency basis. The owner stated he's been having an emergency since Saturday and the owner only bothered to call us and wouldn't look up other clinics Saturday night or Sunday. But, of course in typical client fashion, it is all our fault. Sigh.

Luckily for me, the exotics experts are 10-30 minutes away. :)

But I really wouldn't feel comfortable stabilizing a fracture on a bird...do I need to sedate? How? What is safe? Will my techs know how to monitor? There's also the staff knowledge and safety aspect to consider too.

But, yes, I will euthanize most anything if needed. Might have to VIN how but I'll get it done.

As an aside: My tech got chewed out this morning because we wouldn't see her hamster on an emergency basis. The owner stated he's been having an emergency since Saturday and the owner only bothered to call us and wouldn't look up other clinics Saturday night or Sunday. But, of course in typical client fashion, it is all our fault. Sigh.
Typical...

Safety is definitely something to consider that I neglected to mention though. The ex zoo/current exotics vet I was with over the summer wouldn't see snakes of a certain weight/length, large primates, or anything venomous for obvious reasons. We had a few calls for backyard big cats, ignoring the obvious safety concerns, we physically didn't have the space. She did see exotic cats, foxes, and other native species though...people drive hours to see her.

Thank you for all your responses! I really appreciate everyone's individual insight and helping me understand an aspect of veterinary medicine that's not often talked about.

I think you are being unrealistic.

Mostly, I think it is hard to have a conversation around this topic without having a context.

For instance: My facility does not have diets for exotics. We don't have appropriate kenneling/caging for many exotics. My nursing staff are literally the best of the best when it comes to managing cats/dogs, but most of them haven't touched a bird in ... maybe ever. I have never treated a bird.

It would be very questionable with regards to malpractice for me to take in an emergency avian patient and try and treat it. I don't even know what the standard of care is for an avian patient for any condition, much less some specific condition. I don't have the right equipment, the experience, the staff .... no way will I treat a bird.

I will euthanize one, because I won't let it suffer. But that's it.

But here's where context becomes important: I'm in a metro area that has at least 2 24-hr facilities with DVMs/staff/equipment to treat exotic patients. So when someone calls us - bam, they get redirected there. If they show up on our doorstep and the patient appears stable enough to transport - they get told we don't see exotics. They show up with an obviously dying or near-death patient, I offer to euthanize it (I don't know what our other doctors do in that situation.).

If I were out in some area where I was literally the only 24-hr practice around within several hour's drive? Hm. I'd probably be a little more willing to wing it, but I'd be darn sure people understood I don't know squat about the species, and I'd probably even have them sign something indicating they understand that. I wouldn't want to leave their animal to suffer. And if it were stable, I'd try and convince them to drive an hour or two to an exotics doc if one was available.

That's fine. I think it is unreasonable for someone to criticize you for that.

I also think you may want to reconsider that issue when you have a license to defend. If you're going to treat anything handed to you, make sure you know what the standard of care is, or at least be darn sure that it's a situation that won't possibly generate a board complaint.

Even so, if you want to wing it on an exotic species, I certainly wouldn't criticize you. It's your license.

But I think it's just as unreasonable for you to criticize another doctor for refusing to treat a species they aren't comfortable with.

Last edited:
Heck, you don't even need to know much to euthanize. You just need to know what to expect when euthanizing a reptile or amphibian.
Are you serious? Euthanizing reptiles - depending on the situation obviously - is hardly a simple task. They're not easy to confirm death on and anatomy and physio is utterly different than normal companion mammals.
Although if you want to get into details, one would argue that using Clavamox/oral beta lactams in a rabbit is asking to get your license taken away/malpractice. It's pretty well known that it is completely contraindicated. If you don't know it, it's on VIN as well as probably hundreds of other reliable sources. You'd hope that if you truly had no clue and were in fact still trying to see exotics on a GP basis, you'd do some research or have at least a textbook. You would have to be looking up the proper dosage at some point and come across this info (basic logic? cats =/= dogs and have different dosages, so you'd hope someone would make the conclusion that a rabbit would have a different drug dosage too). I'd call anything else irresponsible at best :shrug:
Spoken like someone who has never had several different rooms going at once and a walk in and an emergency in the back trying to die. No, I've never given clavamox to a rabbit, but without thinking twice about it I did use a steroid containing ointment on a cloacal prolapse patient like two weeks into working as a vet... arguably near the same level of negligence. And I like exotics and see quite a few. Bird was fine, but it's that sort of stuff that is so easy to do when you're already flying by the seat of your pants and busy.

Reactions: 4 users

Didn't see this until just now. But YES, vets do and have done that Clavamox with rabbits thing, **** happens, you forget things, you have 5 rooms full, a dog that needs a thoracocentesis and dyspneic cat, etc and yeah, that is something that can easily happen and has occurred previously. And vets have been charged with malpractice for exactly that. So for you to judge another vet who states "No, I will not see exotics under any circumstance" regardless of their reason is not very supportive of your colleagues and is borderline unprofessional. Why treat your colleagues like crap just because they don't want to do what you want to do? If they don't want to see exotics, then let it be, they have a reason and it shouldn't be questioned, even if that reason is just because "they don't like x species".

Will be interesting to see if your opinion changes once you have animals directly under your care and responsibility and it becomes your xxx thousand dollar license that you are flirting with. Maybe this makes me a bad vet, don't care, but NO animal is more important than my $400k license. None. I need that license to work, to live, to eat, to survive and there is no animal that is more important than my own livelihood.

Will also be interesting to see if you change your mind once you make your first mistake in practice. And that isn't an IF that is a when. You will make a mistake when you get out into practice. Everyone does. My most recent was not labeling a syringe and a dog receiving lidocaine IV accidentally, dog was fine, my colon and adrenal glands were not.

Are you serious? Euthanizing reptiles - depending on the situation obviously - is hardly a simple task. They're not easy to confirm death on and anatomy and physio is utterly different than normal companion mammals.

Thank you. I honestly wouldn't have a clue how to appropriately euthanize a snake. I mean - could I kill it? Sure. Could I kill it with an AVMA-approved euthanasia technique? Um... not sure. I'd have to go find out what they are, first.

No thanks.

I did use a steroid containing ointment on a cloacal prolapse patient like two weeks into working as a vet... arguably near the same level of negligence.

.... and I wouldn't even know that was a bad thing to do. That's why we have Trilts. To treat things that like.

A lot of people conflate (inappropriately, in my opinion) "being present" with "you have to treat".

My presence in my ER at 3AM in the morning does not mean I should, or have to, treat everything that shows up ill. I don't have the skill, equipment, or training to do that. It sucks, and yes, it might mean some animal suffers more than they should (for instance, a longer ride to another facility), but that is a fact of life. The same is true in human medicine - the fact that you "need" an emergency bypass doesn't mean that some poor GP doc filling in as a rural ER doc is going to do it - he's going to make you 'suffer' and take the chance that you die en route and he's going to send you to an appropriate facility.

That's just life. We can't be all things to all people or animals.

Last edited:
Thank you. I honestly wouldn't have a clue how to appropriately euthanize a snake. I mean - could I kill it? Sure. Could I kill it with an AVMA-approved euthanasia technique? Um... not sure. I'd have to go find out what they are, first.

No thanks.

Reminds me of the snake we had on necropsy that still had a beating heart. Heck, that heart was still beating after we removed it from the snake's body. **** confirming death in a reptile... need ultrasound/doppler and it isn't easy to find or even pick up the heart. (From what little I recall on the rotation where I had a snake patient).

And that isn't an IF that is a when. You will make a mistake when you get out into practice. Everyone does. My most recent was not labeling a syringe and a dog receiving lidocaine IV accidentally, dog was fine, my colon and adrenal glands were not.

Yup. And if you aren't making occasional mistakes ...

... you just aren't catching them. Which is even scarier.

I don't have the knowledge, skills, equipment, or medications to examine, stabilize, treat, or even euthanize exotics on my truck. Period. It's not happening. I'll do what I can with barn dogs and cats because I have more experience and some basic meds but would much rather them rush to their small animal vet instead. No matter how many times a person may say they don't care what you do as long as you try - they can still sue or report to medical boards. Not worth it. Similarly, I don't want people with little to no horse experience stabilizing, treating, or euthanizing horses. Someone can get seriously hurt.

No matter how many times a person may say they don't care what you do as long as you try - they can still sue or report to medical boards. Not worth it. Similarly, I don't want people with little to no horse experience stabilizing, treating, or euthanizing horses. Someone can get seriously hurt.

That's a huge point - human injury. I don't know how to safely handle most species. I like horses, and I enjoy riding them from time to time. But managing a sick one? I'll get me (or worse, someone else) hurt.

DVMD and I were talking about the lawsuit/license thing. Frankly, a lawsuit is the least of my concerns, because that's what insurance is for. And in most places, people still can't sue for more than the actual value of an animal which, except for equine vets treating high-dollar breeding horses, is usually not a big deal.

But holy hell - a board complaint has the potential to end up in suspension or loss of license. That would be devastating. So I'm darn well not gonna treat something where I don't know the standard of care or have appropriate equipment.

No matter how many times a person may say they don't care what you do as long as you try - they can still sue or report to medical boards. Not worth it.

This. We have a very sue-happy society. I don't believe anyone who states they won't sue you or to "please just do it".... not worth it. So not worth it. Even if you would win the lawsuit or the board complaint, the stress of one makes it not worth it.

Similarly, I don't want people with little to no horse experience stabilizing, treating, or euthanizing horses. Someone can get seriously hurt.

Exactly how I feel. If a vet is openly admitting their discomfort with a species, I am going to back them up and support their decision in not treating/seeing that species. Mainly because it can cause a lot of harm to not only the patient but the people involved. Just like a horse kick isn't anything to snort about, some birds can take off fingers and snake bites can be detrimental.

But holy hell - a board complaint has the potential to end up in suspension or loss of license. That would be devastating.

That would equal me homeless, completely unable to pay loans, probably would struggle to even eat. Would have to sell my car. Yeah, it would be bad. Very bad. My only hope would be a lottery win, which is highly unlikely.

I don't believe anyone who states they won't sue you or to "please just do it".... not worth it.

Ha. Truth. Standard rule of thumb for an ER patient in distress - when the owner says "do anything you have to, I don't care about the cost" it's because they don't have any money, they know it, and they aren't planning on paying the bill anyway.

There's a reason we get deposits up front.......

Ha. Truth. Standard rule of thumb for an ER patient in distress - when the owner says "do anything you have to, I don't care about the cost" it's because they don't have any money, they know it, and they aren't planning on paying the bill anyway.

There's a reason we get deposits up front.......

Every time a client says "I don't need a treatment plan/estimate just do it." I go "I have to have you sign the treatment plan, so a tech will be in shortly with that." 99.9% of them suddenly don't want to "just do it all."

Well said points in here.

Large parrots, etc. also scare the **** out of me so unless it's hastening its clear, oncoming death, I'm quite unwilling to do anything for it.

Reminds me of the snake we had on necropsy that still had a beating heart. Heck, that heart was still beating after we removed it from the snake's body. **** confirming death in a reptile... need ultrasound/doppler and it isn't easy to find or even pick up the heart. (From what little I recall on the rotation where I had a snake patient).

For what it's worth, that's kind of normal. Reptile hearts will continue beating for quite a while after brain death. I once put a turtle heart in a small jar of LRS after necropsy and it was still beating (slowly and irregularly, but definitely beating) hours later, just floating there by itself. Crazy.

For what it's worth, that's kind of normal. Reptile hearts will continue beating for quite a while after brain death. I once put a turtle heart in a small jar of LRS after necropsy and it was still beating (slowly and irregularly, but definitely beating) hours later, just floating there by itself. Crazy.
Not really going to address all of the other responses because there's no point now, but this is what I mean when I said "as long as you know what to expect."