I don't like Crush Step 2!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allylz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
That's right. I don't know if I am a lone voice in the wilderness or what.

It seems like most everyone here uses either Secrets or Crush, same information right? Well, I just wanted to say for anyone who is looking at buying books right now that IMHO, Crush is too cursory. I don't mean like "you can only read Crush after you've done a pass through the material once because it's so high yield" (i.e. FA for Step 1). I mean like they leave out a ton of stuff that I think is probably pretty high yield (to judge from other review books and USMLEWorld), and they include stuff which is too basic.

I don't really like FA for Step 2 either, I think Boards and Wards is my favorite except the small type being hard on my eyes. Crush has a nice easy to read typeface and layout... if only it was as high yield as I wanted it to be.

Oh by the way, while I'm spouting off my opinion on books, I did most of Kaplan Qbook and I liked it for Medicine and Surgery (though not as much as UW) but thought their OB/GYN section was unbelievably poorly done. I got nearly every question right in the OB/GYN section of Qbook with about a half hour of material review, and then went on to completely suck on USMLEWorld for it (so clearly not much was learned from that whole experience). Hope that is helpful to someone out there.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a copy of Crush Step 2 on the floor and I've never used it to this day. I got it from someone who said, know this book, and pass the test...really? I don't like the format. It's too concise for it's own good...at least for me.

Yeah I'm looking to sell my Crush step 2.

Only a little highlighting in the first 15 pages.

That's how long it took me to figure out that book was worthless. I agree to B&W being better.

unofrunately I don't have anything else to use.

Is B&W + UW enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cowboy DO said:

Only alittle highlighting in the first 15 pages.

That how long it took me to figure out that book was worthless. I agree to B&W being better.

unofrunately I don't have anything else to use.

Is B&W + UW enough?

I think yes. I have tried reviewing several subjects with B&W and then looking my notes over with Crush, and there is nearly no value added. For example, I just did Derm, and Crush doesn't even distinguish between pemphigus vulgaris and bullous pemphigoid, which is totally classic boards stuff. They just have an entry called 'Pemphigus' which doesn't even explain the immunofluorescence findings. Very annoying. I hate the alphabetical format. It does not make sense. This is a review book, not a reference book - B&W format of putting similar items together is far more logical.

Thanks for venting with me. :)

Hey no problem. I'm glad you brought it up, maybe secrets is better but that would be impossible if it’s just crush in QA format. Not only do they leave information out, but I think they are wrong sometimes. In the OB section they say the BPP for evaluation of the fetus has only 4 measurements. Maximum score of 8? um.

...and no they didn’t mean a normal ultrasound where they don’t count the NST. That I would understand. They just don’t think fetal tone is important apparently.

Cowboy DO said:

Only a little highlighting in the first 15 pages.

That's how long it took me to figure out that book was worthless.

Your sales pitch needs some work.