Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I don't want Ivy League!

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by zatojoshi, Jul 23, 2006.

1. zatojoshi

zatojoshi New Member

Pre-Medical
    For me, grades aren't the issue, it's money. I want to attend a post-bacc pre-med program next year, but I do not have a lot of money to work with, and I'm already in debt up to my ears thanks to college. Since I'm gonna pay for it myself, I'd like a great program without the cost. I really liked Columbia until I saw the sticker price. Can anyone recommend a good program that's not Ivy league priced? I heard CUNY and Hunter college was good? I'm interested in becoming a rural practice physician (don't know if that helps).

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus

Pre-Medical
    The cost issue never really goes away. Your statement that you want a "great" program kinda implies cost..haha. Anyway, you can also look into unofficial programs which may be cheaper. "Great", "good" or whatever is relative. Post-bacc = taking more undergrad courses, so whereever you can do that, you will accomplish your goals. Now if you want the extra goodies such as MCAT prep, application workshops, and other stuff then official, more expensive programs is the only route. There may be a few "free" workshops offered by med schools but you just have to keep an eye out for them.

Cost was a big issue for me, so i just went to grad school. But ideally, I would've done an SMP or an official post-bacc program.;) Hope that helps!

4. Sundarban1

Sundarban1 Devil in disguise

Medical Student
    Harvard Extension has a program, both formal and informal (ie you can take classes there without applying if you wish). The formal program is not highly selective and classes (in or out of the program) are the lowest you will find around. I beleive next semester it's $875 for one 4 credit class. Check out http://www.extension.harvard.edu/hcp/default.jsp

5. lawnboy313

The UConn program might be what you're looking for. Great track record of getting folks into med school and is only $7000ish/year if you're a Connecticut resident. Then you get a great shot of going to UConn med school after the program, which, for you, is both rural-ish and a cheaper state school. The downside is that the program is extremely competitive--they accept 12 or so out of 300 or so applicants.

6. dnslay

dnslay New Member

Medical Student
    What's the word on Rutgers Newark? They have a program that costs less than Ivy, but is it considered up to snuff?

7. thesocialbeast

thesocialbeast Junior Member

also might want to considered the medprep program at Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. Great support, rigorous academics, and excellent track record of students getting into various medical schools (there's a list on the website) across the country. It is geared towards students from a disadvantaged program (their definition is on the website) They offer tuition wavers (which almost half the class gets) and its pretty cheap to live in carbondale.

I particpated in the program and have NOTHING but great things to say about it. It definitely set up a strong foundation for medical school and probably would not have done as well without it. Definitely one of the better program after hearing about other pre-med programs.

check out http://www.siumed.edu/medprep/ or pm with questions.

8. sumanya

sumanya Junior Member

Pre-Medical

I'm in a similar position, and have decided to pursue CUNY Queens College and CUNY Hunter - they are low-cost, are some of the best in the city system, and both offer their own advantages (Hunter has the formal program which is also more flexible than ones like Columbia). I believe that if you're focused enough about what you want to do, you can do without some of the more expensive perks of going to an Ivy school for a post-bacc pre-med program. Hope that helps.