I Don't want to mess up another Job opp!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kg062007

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so im a senior who just graduated and I applied for a research assistant position at the medical school I want to attend next year. The position is in the lab of a Phd. She told me to send her a statment of my immediate and 5 year career goals. Truth is I want to work for a year, then enter medical school in 2012. But what is she wants a RA for more than a year? I really need this job, and I don't need to lie and F things up with the falculty of my number 1 choice!

Members don't see this ad.

Really dont want to tell you to lie.But wait and see what others who have been in your situation recommend.

I know a couple of people who went into lab with intention of working 1 year then goto med school, but ended up doing 2 years.

Thing is, when you are applying, you are taking significant time off from work to goto the interviews, etc. and it's nice to have your boss supporting you...

Members don't see this ad :)
immediate goal: research tech
5-year goal: in med school/residency

be honest. I'm in the same place as you (PI knows I want to go to medical school in a year). it's a tough spot I agree ... but better to be honest than find yourself at that school and have someone on the faculty that is already less than supportive of you.

In my experience when I was job-hunting and interviewing for a lab position, generally most places wanted a 2+ year commitment, though that's probably not always the case. The general wisdom I've gleaned from SDN on the matter is that it is an investment to train an RA, and they don't want you leaving just as you become competent. I'm sure this isn't always the rule, however.

Honesty is probably best, you should never burn bridges.

Hi, so im a senior who just graduated and I applied for a research assistant position at the medical school I want to attend next year. The position is in the lab of a Phd. She told me to send her a statment of my immediate and 5 year career goals. Truth is I want to work for a year, then enter medical school in 2012. But what is she wants a RA for more than a year? I really need this job, and I don't need to lie and F things up with the falculty of my number 1 choice!

Tell the truth and emphasize your willingness to work hard and make the most of your time in the lab...yes, many labs want 2 year commitments, but PIs would rather have a stable, reliable RA for one year than a flake they're going to have to fire in a year. I did a year of research the year before med school and was open about my plans and still got a great spot.

Also, if you tell the truth you can a) possibly get a LOR from this PI, which could help particularly if this is at your dram school and b) it will be MUCH MUCH easier to get the time off for interviews...unless they know you're interviewing, few jobs are forgiving of randomly and sometimes abruptly having to take 1-2 days off in the middle of the work week every week for several months. You can also be up front about that school being your top choice...who knows, you could continue part-time work during med school if research turns out to be something you're interested in.

You have to realize what a huge investment it is for the faculty member to hire someone.

If you intentionally mislead her and she spends a great deal of her labs time and money on you just for you to leave than she would be within her rights to tell the admissions comity about your dishonesty.

You have to realize what a huge investment it is for the faculty member to hire someone.

If you intentionally mislead her and she spends a great deal of her labs time and money on you just for you to leave than she would be within her rights to tell the admissions comity about your dishonesty.

I wonder how many people are actually out there that do RA jobs long term... like 5+ years. Different strokes, I guess.