Should I pursue another clinical job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

loopydoop

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First question - does this caretaking role count as an experience?

Currently have two clinical experiences but both are very untraditional, was wondering if I its worth getting one of those certifications to get a more traditional experience. I have a ton of stories from the periop job.

Current clinical experiences:

Perioperative assistant (paid) 3000 hours - transport patients, provide them with small things, in emergencies- which happen often - provide care, set up ORs, and just an overall assistant in the operating room

Caregiver for special needs sister 2000 hours - give her meds, tend to her self inflicted injuries, get her dressed, make her food, etc.
 
The perioperative assistant is a perfectly good clinical experience and sounds hands-on.

Caregiver to a family member has traditionally not been seen as clinical experience. It would be appropriate to highlight it in the Other Impactful Experience section or other essays.
 
The perioperative assistant is a perfectly good clinical experience and sounds hands-on.

Caregiver to a family member has traditionally not been seen as clinical experience. It would be appropriate to highlight it in the Other Impactful Experience section or other essays.
thank you 🙂 do you recommend I try to find another clinical job then? or would periop be enough? The thing I like about the periop job is how hands on it is and how much I interact with patients and physicians - the con is that I am not doing traditional things like vitals, etc. however there are times where I am BVM -venting or cpr, repositioning, etc
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thank you 🙂 do you recommend I try to find another clinical job then? or would periop be enough? The thing I like about the periop job is how hands on it is and how much I interact with patients and physicians - the con is that I am not doing traditional things like vitals, etc. however there are times where I am BVM -venting or cpr, repositioning, etc
No, the periop is more than enough.