Should I pursue another clinical job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jacob Saadoun

Reaction score
First question - does this caretaking role count as an experience?

Currently have two clinical experiences but both are very untraditional, was wondering if I its worth getting one of those certifications to get a more traditional experience. I have a ton of stories from the periop job.

Current clinical experiences:

Perioperative assistant (paid) 3000 hours - transport patients, provide them with small things, in emergencies- which happen often - provide care, set up ORs, and just an overall assistant in the operating room

Caregiver for special needs sister 2000 hours - give her meds, tend to her self inflicted injuries, get her dressed, make her food, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

The perioperative assistant is a perfectly good clinical experience and sounds hands-on.

Caregiver to a family member has traditionally not been seen as clinical experience. It would be appropriate to highlight it in the Other Impactful Experience section or other essays.

Reactions: 1 users
The perioperative assistant is a perfectly good clinical experience and sounds hands-on.

Caregiver to a family member has traditionally not been seen as clinical experience. It would be appropriate to highlight it in the Other Impactful Experience section or other essays.
thank you :) do you recommend I try to find another clinical job then? or would periop be enough? The thing I like about the periop job is how hands on it is and how much I interact with patients and physicians - the con is that I am not doing traditional things like vitals, etc. however there are times where I am BVM -venting or cpr, repositioning, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you :) do you recommend I try to find another clinical job then? or would periop be enough? The thing I like about the periop job is how hands on it is and how much I interact with patients and physicians - the con is that I am not doing traditional things like vitals, etc. however there are times where I am BVM -venting or cpr, repositioning, etc
No, the periop is more than enough.

Reactions: 1 user