I emailed three schools at the same time without hiding each recipient. How bad is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intdent._.

Reaction score
I sent academic updates to three different dental schools via email but didn't bcc all schools. Basically, the schools see the other schools as the recipient as well. When writing the email, I typed in one school (I'll call it X school) for "To:" section and put two schools (I'll call them Y and Z) as blind carbon copy ("bcc"). Less familiar with the bcc function, I stupidly thought that the bcc'd schools wouldn't be able to see the recipient I put in for "To:".

Upon checking my reply from bcc'd school (Y and Z schools), I noticed that my original email to them reads "To: X school, bcc: Y school" or even just "To: X school". So, they basically know that I sent the mail to X school and bcc'd their school. See the pic below if you can't follow.

How bad is this for my application? I'm devastated... sigh. Two (X and Y) are competitive top programs, and Z is less competitive. I only received an interview invite from X school, so I am getting more and more worried about this email crisis I've created. Plus, I know a guy who applied on the same date as me with lower stats received interview invites at both X and Y. I know that stats isn't everything, but given the result, I'm worried that my email is the problem here.

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 10.12.10 AM.png

Any advice or opinion would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I sent academic updates to three different dental schools via email but didn't bcc all schools. Basically, the schools see the other schools as the recipient as well. When writing the email, I typed in one school (I'll call it X school) for "To:" section and put two schools (I'll call them Y and Z) as blind carbon copy ("bcc"). Less familiar with the bcc function, I stupidly thought that the bcc'd schools wouldn't be able to see the recipient I put in for "To:".

Upon checking my reply from bcc'd school (Y and Z schools), I noticed that my original email to them reads "To: X school, bcc: Y school" or even just "To: X school". So, they basically know that I sent the mail to X school and bcc'd their school. See the pic below if you can't follow.

How bad is this for my application? I'm devastated... sigh. Two (X and Y) are competitive top programs, and Z is less competitive. I only received an interview invite from X school, so I am getting more and more worried about this email crisis I've created. Plus, I know a guy who applied on the same date as me with lower stats received interview invites at both X and Y. I know that stats isn't everything, but given the result, I'm worried that my email is the problem here.

View attachment 344249

Any advice or opinion would be appreciated.
the schools know that you likely applied to more than one school...

Reactions: 1 users
yeah...this is definitely not gonna be a make or break for your app.

I agree it was not a great choice to send things like this, but they are not gonna care that much about this

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed all of the dental schools I applied to a while back because my AADSAS application became all messed up after it was reviewed (essentially, all of my transfer test credits were removed because they couldn't be tied to a specific course on my transcripts). I panicked and emailed all of the schools to let them know what had happened. The email was sent to 7 schools and the 'to' section wasn't hidden at all.

So far, I have interviews at 5/7 of the schools and I honestly think they didn't really care. Personally, if a school is going to hold applying to multiple programs against me, I wouldn't want to go to an institution like that anyways. Most people apply broadly these days, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Reactions: 1 user