I failed Orgo and physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

webdivx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a freshman and I failed Orgo 2 and physics 2 :( not failed with a C or a D but with an F...man i want to cry... will i get rejected by all dental schools? i felt like i could pull off good grades on my finals... but i couldn't....and because of that i am also on academic probation :(

if i get a high score on the DAT like a 23-24 and a subsequent A or B if i repeat both courses help?

i really wanna get into dental school and i have gotten an A in all my bio classess... bio 1, 2, and genetics and a B in orgo 1 and phys 1 and i've been a pretty good student up until now... i'm just so confused and depressed :confused:

what should i do??

Members don't see this ad.

i'm a freshman and I failed Orgo 2 and physics 2 :( not failed with a C or a D but with an F...man i want to cry... will i get rejected by all dental schools? i felt like i could pull off good grades on my finals... but i couldn't....

if i get a high score on the DAT like a 23-24 and a subsequent A or B if i repeat both courses help? what should i do :confused:

i really wanna get into dental school and i have gotten an A in all my bio classess... bio 1, 2, and genetics and a B in orgo 1 and phys 1

Retake the classes so they are averaged, do well and continue doing well through the rest of your college career. Do well on your DATs too. Your overall GPA and OVERALL BCP GPA is what is especially looked at to weed out the lesser qualified applicants. If you find you can't do well in science courses in general, you may want to think of alternatives, but if you can do well... you are still probably ok. Keep in mind too that this is just my opinion. Lowest grade I had was a C, but I did have some Cs. Everything worked out fine for me. I also had my masters though before I even decided to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once again.....schools look at your overall profile. they dont judge you on just 1 course. those classses are prereqs so take it agian and do better and show that you improved and that your an applicant that can improve on your mistakes. 1 class will not put u over the top or kill your whole life.....they will take applicants that start from the bottom and go up not applicants that start from the top and go down

I doubt you can expect to score 23-24 on the DAT if you cant even pass orgo2 in a classroom setting in college. retake it and replace the grade.

thanks for your responses, its really appreciated. i'm just so down... i mean i was hoping to finish college in 3 years... possibly 2.5 since i took courses during the summer before my freshman year (bio 1 and 2) and had 20 college credits from AP and was thinking of taking courses this summer again and next summer...but i don't know... man i just cant believe it... it just all went downhill this semester...2 F's, a B and a C... i would have had 60 credits at the end of summer this yr... but with all thats happened i feel like my future is destroyed unless i get straight a's the rest of my career and get a super high dat score which just is feeling so stressful.... how should i cope with this? should i just relax this summer or maybe take the 3-6 credits i was thinking of taking this summer? :( :( :(

heres the thing, it happened and its all over with. Look back and realize what happened to you and why you failed them. If it is because you were feeling burned out then go ahead and take the summer off.. even if it was just a little bit.. 6 credits isn't THAT big of a deal. A nice little break is sometimes all it takes to come back and pull off a very strong semester. Retake those classes and do the best you possibly can and see where the cards fall. Granted you do have a bit less to worry about if you pull off a 4.0 the rest of your college and a 23 on the DAT but don't set goals that are too high for yourself either. Work your ass off and hope for the best.. good luck to you!!

your problem is that you tried cramming all your classes in such a short period of time to graduate
why risk getting crappy grades by taking so many classes in a semester to graduate early instead getting better grades by relaxing and taking a normal load
its gonna be your gpa that matters, not how quickly you reach the finish line

i dont think it impresses anyone by graduating early

sorry if i sound a bit harsh

It is not impossible, but you gotta show an upward trend in GPA from now on. Remeber that GPA is only one of the many things that they look at, so maybe you can try to improve other aspects to make up for it. Definitely try to retake the course and ace it, but know that your GPA will be different from AADSAS calculation and school transcript.

have you heard of the story of the turtoise and the hare?

Reactions: 1 user
It's by no means the end of the world...by no means. It sounds like you're very young (freshman?) so you could have plenty of time to make up those grades. However, from what it sounds like, you say you already have 60 AP credits. If I recall, AP credits do not count towards gpa in any way. This means that you have 60 credits LESS to use to make up for those bad grades. I would schedule an appt with an advisor (preferrably pre-health advisor) and see what to do next. They're professionals...we're just a bunch of joes on sdn.

Members don't see this ad :)
im not a joe....im jet li and i know my stuff because i have been through all this and knows how dental school will be judging each aplicant

You sure have taken a lot of courses for a freshman...How did you fit gen chem 1, 2, bio 1, 2, genetics, physics 1 and 2 and orgo 1 and 2 into 1 year?

i'm a freshman and I failed Orgo 2 and physics 2 :( not failed with a C or a D but with an F...man i want to cry... will i get rejected by all dental schools? i felt like i could pull off good grades on my finals... but i couldn't....and because of that i am also on academic probation :(

if i get a high score on the DAT like a 23-24 and a subsequent A or B if i repeat both courses help?

i really wanna get into dental school and i have gotten an A in all my bio classess... bio 1, 2, and genetics and a B in orgo 1 and phys 1 and i've been a pretty good student up until now... i'm just so confused and depressed :confused:

what should i do??

Welcome to the life of the typical college youngers, where in some semesters you do great and others you feel like you **** your pants. Happens to all of us.... My freshman year in college, I got a C- in Calc-I, I thought I was done, If I can't get higher than a C- in something as simple as Calc I there no way for me to go into Engineering / Computer Science field.... Guess what, I pretty much rocked B+ and A's in ALL higher division math classes including Calc-II, Calc-III, DFQ, Linear Algeb, Numerical Analysis, and the list goes on and on.

Sometimes you need a few bad grades here and there and light a fire under our asses. Dental schools WILL NOT look at one or 2 bad grades you had in your undergrad and totally throw you in the trash (If thats the case, I'll call it quits right now becuase I got a 3.01 Under grad GPA and currently working on my post-bacc).

Anyways, to make story short, I really think you lost focus and had a little too much fun this semester and thats why your grades suffered. Buck up, put your goal ahead of you (dental school) and push forward and learn from your mistakes.

I would say majority of us in this forum have faced similar situation with grades if not exact situation in college. Hey no person on this earth is perfect. We all make mistakes and sometimes we just have to pay the price for it. Nothing comes easy you just have to work for it. This is life and this is why college life can be an amazing experience and prepare you for the real world.

I would say majority of us in this forum have faced similar situation with grades if not exact situation in college. Hey no person on this earth is perfect. We all make mistakes and sometimes we just have to pay the price for it. Nothing comes easy you just have to work for it. This is life and this is why college life can be an amazing experience and prepare you for the real world.
this is the most beautiful comment i've ever read.

I doubt you can expect to score 23-24 on the DAT if you cant even pass orgo2 in a classroom setting in college. retake it and replace the grade.

That's not necessarily true. I had a D in Orgo2, and after a summer of living and breathing orgo, I scored a 20 in orgo on the DAT.

It all depends on how much you apply yourself.

thanks for your responses, its really appreciated. i'm just so down... i mean i was hoping to finish college in 3 years... possibly 2.5 since i took courses during the summer before my freshman year (bio 1 and 2) and had 20 college credits from AP and was thinking of taking courses this summer again and next summer...but i don't know... man i just cant believe it... it just all went downhill this semester...2 F's, a B and a C... i would have had 60 credits at the end of summer this yr... but with all thats happened i feel like my future is destroyed unless i get straight a's the rest of my career and get a super high dat score which just is feeling so stressful.... how should i cope with this? should i just relax this summer or maybe take the 3-6 credits i was thinking of taking this summer? :( :( :(

Take your time and do it right. When I took orgo 1 and 2, I only took one other class with it. And it paid off, I did very well. There is no point in rushing and you don't get into dental school. Take some time off, your brain needs to refresh.

You just need to learn from your mistakes and move on. My freshman year I got a C- in gen chem. I ended getting a 28 on the gen-chem section of the DAT.

Too soon to tell, how did u do in orgo 1 and physics 1? Like another poster mentioned, what makes you think you could pull a 23-25 on the DAT if you cant pull the grades in class? That would entail you missing 2-3 q's in each section of the test. Best of luck, study hard, and keep your priorities in check!

I'm sorry you failed those classes. Maybe, you should consider another career path because the science classes in dental school will be much tougher than physics and orgo.

If you just had too much going on in your life or something like that, then just prove yourself and dedicate your time 100% towards your goal of one day becoming a dentist. If you can pull off a couple of 4.0 semesters or close to that, then you are on your way to becoming accepted. GL.

this is the most beautiful comment i've ever read.

When I saw the first couple of posts, I noticed SugarNaCl and I was like "WTF, after a 4 year hiatus, she's back?!"

7329b4cf_threadNecromancy.jpg

I got a C+ in Orgo 2 and got a 26 in Orgo on the dat thanks to Chad's videos. They made a WORLD of difference in my understanding.

Even if this thread is five years old, it may help someone in a similar situation. :)

Take what people on here say with a grain of salt. In the end, you know yourself best and what you're capable of. That being said, don't kid yourself either. I failed three classes my freshman/soph year: Gen Chem 1, Orgo 1, and Physics 1. But I know I failed them b/c I really didn't give a **** at the time and hardly ever went to lecture. Retook them a second time and got B's, which looks horrible. Fast forward three years, I managed to score a 25 in OC and a 29 in GC on the official DAT.