I feel a bit incompetent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacy Kid

LCDR
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm a new grad and have been working in the outpt department of a hospital for a while now. The pharmacists and techs have all been patient while training me. However, all the pharmacists seem to know a lot more than I do, both clinically and how the hospital system works. I'm constantly asking questions about how to do this and that.

Are there any new pharmacists that feel this way?

Members don't see this ad.

I am working inpatient in hospital and I will float to outpatient and ambulatory once and a while. I feel clinically I am up to par but I still lack years of experience, so I ask a lot of questions. Many of the other pharmacists have been around for over 10 years so they are well versed in common questions and situations that come about. Although I feel like I am able to offer a good detail of clinical information. As far as day to day hospital operations, I am always learning and asking questions, I think this is normal. At least I am told it is normal...Sometimes I feel like a burden when I ask a lot of questions but I want to learn and be better so I continue to ask.

Took me about 6 months to get comfortable as a pharmacist even after 4 years of hospital intern work. There really is a lot to know. Once you set up a hospital pharmacy from scratch you end up with more knowledge than you can ever learn from others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely normal. My only comment is to make sure you try to find information before just asking someone- it may slow you down, but it helps with remembering the answers anyway.

I know where I work the pharmacists can sometimes be really really hard on new people, but other times they are really helpful. I think they get less patient with people who make mistakes repeatedly or who don't seem to ever improve. Also if you ask about a question that is easily answerable from the department resources and made no effort to figure it out before going to a colleague, that seems to put you in the bad category as well. But new pharmacists that have looked things up, but still want an opinion or some guidance are treated pretty well. I think i it does not come down to the lack of knowledge/experience, but more the attitude that distinguishes the new folks that are seen as a good addition versus a burden to the pharmacy. But I work in shark infested waters, so maybe this is not indicative of all worksites. But more to your question---I think everyone feels inept at first---the learning curve at a hospital is high, and so much is institution specific that no matter how much you know going in, there is still a big mountain to climb.

It will take 6 months for you to experience ~90% of what you need to know to feel comfortable enough to work alone. The remaining 10% will be rarities that happen over the next few years where you have to use your references or know who to call.

Write everything down and type up your notes. It's nice to have everything in a searchable word document somewhere in a file on your work computer or shared drive.

I've been at this for 17 years, although I've only been at my current job for 3 months as of today. :cool: My colleagues have told me that I should not feel totally comfortable in my skin, if you will, for at least a year - and that's with all my prior experience.

And unlike them, I didn't have to unlearn the old computer system.

ETA: Without divulging further details, I did something today that had me beating myself up very badly. :( The other pharmacist I was working with today, who is probably the best pharmacist I have ever worked with (and that is saying something) said, "You know how many times I've done that sort of thing myself? None of us are perfect."

Yeah, I know that, but I still should have known better. However, it all worked out in the end.

ETA: Without divulging further details, I did something today that had me beating myself up very badly. :( The other pharmacist I was working with today, who is probably the best pharmacist I have ever worked with (and that is saying something) said, "You know how many times I've done that sort of thing myself? None of us are perfect."

Yeah, I know that, but I still should have known better. However, it all worked out in the end.

I am glad it all worked out well in the end. :thumbup:

There really is a lot to know.

the learning curve at a hospital is high, and so much is institution specific that no matter how much you know going in, there is still a big mountain to climb.

Sometimes I feel like a burden when I ask a lot of questions but I want to learn and be better so I continue to ask.

The above summarizes what I feel. But hey, whatever doesn't kill you, can only maim you.