I feel hopeless. What do I do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AM&PM

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non trad Feeling very depressed but I will share anyway. I graduated with a 2.8 from undergrad and luckily found myself in a biomedical sciences masters program where I have a 3.9 and will graduate suma cum laude. I just got my Mcat score back and I got a 498 because my CARS dropped from my pervious score (even though I got a 130 on psych which was a 123 last time. Go figure) and I lost my shot at a really good MCAT score. I did a lot of shadowing, working on my own research to get published by the end of the year, I volunteer at a therapy facility, I work at a pediatric office, part of my church's health ministry, part community service organizations in undergrad (and participated) and i didn't more but I didn't want to make anyone bored.
What I'm trying to say is what should I do now? I did a 180 with my grades but tanked my MCAT retake. I still want to apply but I'm feeling a very much like a failure especially since I worked so hard in graduate school to try and change my academia around. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the 3.9 bms gpa. That is absolutely amazing! I wouldn't worry about the 498 as much. It could be way worse! It's not like you're applying with a 2.8 undergrad gpa, solely. I'd apply anyway with that score. Also, try HBCUs. On Howard's website, it says that a 494 mcat is considered competitive. Personally, I think you still have a good shot at getting in to someone's med school, given your stats.

I have different thoughts on this matter. Masters program is often viewed as giving students inflated grades so it might help but not enough to overlook a 2.8 .. If you really want to become a doctor I would retake all your Undergraduate class that you got a C or lower then apply to DO schools and HBCU. I would say retake the MCAT but you already took it twice and a third time without major improvements can really hurt. So I think the DIY (Do it yourself) postback is the best way to go, do grade replacement and apply to DO school

Members don't see this ad :)
I have different thoughts on this matter. Masters program is often viewed as giving students inflated grades so it might help but not enough to overlook a 2.8 .. If you really want to become a doctor I would retake all your Undergraduate class that you got a C or lower then apply to DO schools and HBCU. I would say retake the MCAT but you already took it twice and a third time without major improvements can really hurt. So I think the DIY (Do it yourself) postback is the best way to go, do grade replacement and apply to DO school
My masters in an SMP. Would that help? Yes I am also applying to DO schools and I did retake the classes I did the worst in.

Last edited:
My masters in an SMP. Would that help? Yes I am also applying to DO schools and I did retake the classes I did the worst in.
What is your GPA with the grade replacement? ?? And did you take all your masters classes with medical students? ?

What is your GPA with the grade replacement? ?? And did you take all your masters classes with medical students? ?
No. Not all SMPs require you to do that from what I've gathered. Mine allowed me to take my classes taught by medical school professors teaching Med school subjects like pathology, clinical microbiology, gross anatomy + lab, cell biology, human genetics and elective topics such physiology of the heart and cardiac diseases and brain diseases. We got the same lectures except shortened due to the time constraint.