I feel so bad about my patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TSDentSurg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I missed a hairline root canal when I RCT'd my patient. If I could've seen it, the endodontic infection would've been cured, and my patient would've kept her tooth. Instead, she got osteomyelitis of her brand new bone graft, and had to have a radical alveolectomy and an ICU admission. Now she needs a much larger bone graft, probably from her hip or tibia, plus an implant.

I guess this indicates why surgical microscopes are imperative for RCT. Why do so many GPs try to do them with only loupes?

Feeling really bad :(

Members don't see this ad.

I missed a hairline root canal when I RCT'd my patient. If I could've seen it, the endodontic infection would've been cured, and my patient would've kept her tooth. Instead, she got osteomyelitis of her brand new bone graft, and had to have a radical alveolectomy and an ICU admission. Now she needs a much larger bone graft, probably from her hip or tibia, plus an implant.

I guess this indicates why surgical microscopes are imperative for RCT. Why do so many GPs try to do them with only loupes?

Expense? I have no idea what they cost. What mag loupes? Just curious. I have no idea what it's like yet. Hope I get to play with the scopes at school when the time comes. I hear it takes dentistry to a new level.

Expense? I have no idea what they cost. What mag loupes? Just curious. I have no idea what it's like yet. Hope I get to play with the scopes at school when the time comes. I hear it takes dentistry to a new level.

Surgical microscopes cost $$$$$$. I was using 5x loupes.

Microsurgical dentistry is awesome...great for endo and perio. And oral-maxillofacial surgical oncology.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would respectfully disagree. Surgical microscopes are certainly useful but I have been doing hundreds of root canals since last year without even using loupes (i used to use one but after it broke i have gone without it and never never looked back, I just use protective eyewear and take good care of my vision)). Once you have done enough RCTs, you get a good idea of number of canals, canal configurations, and morphology. Endo explorer and caries indicator dyes are also useful to identify canals. If I see a tooth with strange morphology I always have the luxury to refer out (like what you would see in Native American patients), but so far I have done hundreds of RCTs (mostly molars) and have not had a single flare up or relapse. Microscopes are useful but not a necessity.

I would respectfully disagree. Surgical microscopes are certainly useful but I have been doing hundreds of root canals since last year without even using loupes (i used to use one but after it broke i have gone without it and never never looked back, I just use protective eyewear and take good care of my vision)). Once you have done enough RCTs, you get a good idea of number of canals, canal configurations, and morphology. Endo explorer and caries indicator dyes are also useful to identify canals. If I see a tooth with strange morphology I always have the luxury to refer out (like what you would see in Native American patients), but so far I have done hundreds of RCTs (mostly molars) and have not had a single flare up or relapse. Microscopes are useful but not a necessity.

Are you doing necrotic teeth?

Can you expand on this at all? Am I understanding you right that Native Americans are more likely to have atypical morphology? Are there specific teeth you are most likely to see this in?

Can you expand on this at all? Am I understanding you right that Native Americans are more likely to have atypical morphology? Are there specific teeth you are most likely to see this in?

Google "Native American shovel teeth"

Reactions: 1 user