I got accepted to Case Western Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterMood

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to Case Western University with a 19,400 dollar scholarship.

case costs 37,500 dollars - 19,400 dollar scholarship = 18,100 dollars i have to pay per year to go to Case.

now this is what I need your guys help (siec you've gone through undergrad already).

I applied to Emory Univerisity, Furman University, Gettysbyrg, Ohio Welseyan, Siena, SUNY Binghamton, and SUNY Geneseo

I don't like my SUNYs at all, because the classes are very hard and SUNY Genesero has no name recognition and SUNY Binghamton is very apathetic towards its underclassment and very vicious with pre-meds, btu they cost 15,000 dollars. Thus, my father put a limit of how much he will pay for colelge each year at the SUNY cost which is 15,000 dollars.

Now if this is the case, is it worth it to go to Case (with a debt of about 12k or so????), but with better name and reputation for the better medical schools?

And how hard is case western Bio, if any of you go there? I've read from a webstie that biology is very easy at case and that you can take courses at their med school. which is pretty cool.

finally, since you guys are college students, could you tell me how college costs rise each year seeing as you guys know how much college costs go up each year.

for instance if Case western costs 37.5 thousand dollars year 1. What would it cost Year 2, and Year 3, and Year 4. I hope it doesn't end up going to like 47,000 dollars. That would be insane.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, $12k is not very much debt at all, especially considering what you can expect for income if you end up becoming a doctor. Case has a decent name, and I would probably chose them over all the schools you listed except Emory. I mean, if you feel the school is a good fit for you, you will not be disapointed with going tehre and having 12k in debt. Even with a regular 9-5 you can pay that small amount back in a few years. Luck.

You want a medal or a chest to hang it from?

Oh BTW, you'll need MCAT books to study with (see link below)

Members don't see this ad :)
AStudent said:
You want a medal or a chest to hang it from?

Oh BTW, you'll need MCAT books to study with (see link below)
Huh? I'm not trying to boast, I'm trying to find the best cost/school ratio kinda thing, just need some input from fellow students.

hi hermit..
just fyi.. if your interested in the math/physics aspect of bio, look into case's bme program.. its really top-notch, (in fact i think it may be the oldest in the country?) i dont really know too much about it otherwise, but like someone else said 12K debt is virtually zilch in the long run. good luck with your decision!

Does anyone else think SDN is a little bit unnecessary for high schoolers applying to college?

Go to the carribean for undergrad... That will give you a head start for their medschool...

Seriously, Go to SUNY. Undergraduate rep doesn't matter. It's all about your GPA and letter of recommendation and MCAT. For the people who is not from the east coast, SUNY and Case Western are pretty much the same to them in term of repuation.

the thing i don't like SUNY is that 1) SUNY Geneseo doesn't really place people into higher tier places and SUNY Binghamton has massive weeding 2) my success in high school (sat wise, gpa wise, e.c. wise is wasted because I get NO SCHOLARSHIP at the SUNYs even though I'm instate. So this means someone like me who gets a 1450 on my SAT get placed into the same schools as another person who gets an 1100. This on it own pisses me A LOT, because I GET NOTHING for working harder and gettingn othing out of it)

and lavertus, i don't need jackass comments like yours. I suppose i could just wait and go to some 40,000 dollar college and get a debt of 30k and then ask you then huh? I didn't know I wasn't allowed to ask questions that are important when i am interested in medicine and having a happy future. if you're implying that i have nothing else to do than stick around these boards, what are you doing? Instead of criticizing other people, I'm getting prepared for college in all aspects. So don't beleaguer me because i want do well in college and specifically my freshmen year which is very important.

Hermit,

Go to the school you like the best. If you only have to cough up the difference of around 3k/year, you'll be fine. School costs do go up though. I started at 28.5k and by the time I graduated it was at 35k. You will have relatively little debt though compared to a lot of people. If you don't like the SUNY schools, don't go. It's four years of YOUR life. I know nothing about any of the programs in particular, this is just my advice.

However, I do have to say you sound very condescending about going to the same school as someone with an 1100 SAT. You obviously worked very hard to get your score and I have no doubt you are an excellent student, but there are plenty of people who don't get +1400s and they are very good students as well. I happened to get 1160 on my SAT oh so many years ago and I had great high school grades in all honors/AP classes, and I happened to get a very nice scholarship to my undergrad. So, I just caution you to not to judge people by the SAT. You'll be pleasantly suprised by all the intelligent people you will meet at college, and I hope you don't ask what scores they got to get in. :rolleyes:

So, go where you will enjoy yourself and continue to work hard. You may decide the whole pre-med thing is not your gig after a while, and you don't want to be disappointed by picking a college simply b/c the pre-med program is one way or another. You'll get what you put into your studies. But if you really like Case, take the opportunity to go and don't worry about the money. That happens later.

Best Wishes in your pursuit of happiness.

If there's anything I learned about college and med school admissions in the last few years, it's that your GPA is the most important thing about college. Learning might be kind of important too, but if you're as smart as you think you are, you can teach yourself whatever you need to know for the mcat. With that in mind, if you're concerned about the bucks, go to a community college for 2 years, pay virtually nothing by living at home, then go to a state university near your home for your second 2 years. With a 4.0 and good mcat, you'll be good to go. Granted, you'll be giving up the "college experience" (which means you can't go boozing, get nasty and bring home some crazy chicks) but hey...if you want to save bucks, something's gotta give. However, if your parents are cool with your getting wasted and bringing home drunk girls, I *strongly* suggest the plan I outlined above.

okay thanks all, i didn't intend to sound condescending to people with lower SATs and GPAs i'm just saying that my hard work has no real output in the SUNY system. Its kinda like communism really, I worked harder than another person, yet I have to pay the same amount and probably even more considering how SUNY gives no scholarships (most state colleges give scholarships of some form based on merit)

did you transfer from a cc or are you fresh out of high school?

i definitely agree with some of the other posts - go to the school that you will get the highest GPA at. after going through applications, that's the one thing i wish i knew earlier - doesn't really matter which school you went to, just get a high GPA wherever you go.

If you are sure you will get a high GPA anyway, then go to the school you like the most. Personally I had never really heard of case until i applied to med school. They do have a very good premed track record according to some people i've talked to. Also case med interviews every case undergrad that applies.