Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

I Got An 'F'

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by AntiviralsRule, May 10, 2007.

1. AntiviralsRule

AntiviralsRule Student Pharmacist
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hi everyone,

First, some background. I am a 36-year-old editor in the beginning stages of making a transition from journalism to pharmacy. I graduated from Stanford in 1994, with a 3.0 GPA (double major in communication and sociology).

Recently, as I was collecting transcripts from Stanford and from several community colleges in order to do postbac work at CSU East Bay, I discovered that I had received an "F" in an Intro to Sociology class at a community college. I KNOW that grade is a mistake, because I had dropped out of that class midway through the quarter and expected to receive a "W" (Withdrawn). But, instead, I received an F. I stupidly never checked the grade -- for that I am totally regretful.

Of course, with the grade being 15 years old, I don't have any evidence to back up my case and so the college won't change it. I don't blame them, really.

So, I'm in a quandry. Will this F keep me out of pharmacy school, knowing how competitive it is? I did take another intro sociology class later in my undergrad career and got an A-.

And if I do well (A's and B's) in my prerequisites (OChem etc), will that help reduce the stain of that F? Should I explain the F in my pharmacy school applications? or just let it lie?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'd just explain it. I don't think that it will be a problem.

4. evilolive

evilolive Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I doubt they will care.

5. krsnyf

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    It happened to me too- calc 1. I didn't even show up for the first day of class and it wasn't even my main school! Anyhow, I think 15 years is a bit outdated for them to care. Your GPA is will still be dragged down but some schools looks more heavily on your lastest accademic progress...something like the last 40 or 60units. So cheer up and just do the best you can now.

6. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member
    5+ Year Member

One F 15 years ago is not going to have much of an impact on your application especially if you do well in your prereqs. I would focus on making As in the prereqs and not give that F another thought. You may want to give it a quick explanation when you apply. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.

7. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I got a D back in the spring of 2006 and I got into three schools:)

But your grade happened a long time ago, so its not as detrimental to your application. Schools want to know about your potential for completing a rigorous professional school curriculum NOW.

Also, some secondary applications have a section where you can explain any anomalies in your application. Your situation is perfect for that section.

8. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Two D's in the same non prereq class 10 years ago didn't matter to USC. Of course my GPA is 3.59 cumulative, but I also didn't have a double major. I'd say if you do well in your pre-reqs and can back it up with a little pharmacy experience you should have very few problems.

9. MichaelJames

MichaelJames Pharmacy 4 Life
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I can remember back when I took College English II and got a "D". :mad: That was the only time that I ever got a D and I never got any Fs. My advice-be ready to talk your Azz off! Tell them that they should judge by how you have been doing over recent years. :p Before you attend your interview, it is my understanding that they send the applicant some additional paperwork to fill out and explain things like that. :confused: Take something bad and turn it into something GOOD!:)

Mike

10. dienophile

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I made 2 F's 16 years ago in History I and English Comp I. I took them again and made A's. The grade history was never discussed during my interview, but I did need to explain why I was on academic probation for a year on my application. All is well......see sig.:D

11. cystapharm

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    even if it did matter somewhat you wouldn't let one F ages ago prevent you from applying now would it?

12. AntiviralsRule

AntiviralsRule Student Pharmacist
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    No, you're right. It shouldn't stop me from applying. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It means a lot! I'm ready to move on and kick ass on my prereqs! :)

13. TheDrugMan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They probably wont evan ask about it. It's just a stupid sociology class and you retook it. Scoring A's in most of your Math and Science prerequisites will help them overlook it :)

I got an F in a writing class I took 12 years ago because I forgot to drop it. I was worried about it at first, but I have retaken it and got an A and also scored all A's in about 1/2 my Science classes. I'm applying for UIC Class of 2013 next year;)