I got screwed....arggg....new car leased

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UGAZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I saw an ad of a CMax Hybrid Energi 2017 with MSRP of 31k and with rebates and incentives, dealers advertising at 22K. I came to the dealer, the salesman said he could not honor such price if I buy, but if I lease , he will be able to do 350/month x36nmonths then the residual is 10800 usd after 36 months. So I figured wow what a great deal because after all the math showed I have this car for just 20K (After 4K subtracted from federal hybrid tax deduction). I asked him if I could claim federal hybrid electric rebate and he said yes of course. Then later I came home, told a friend and he said I cannot claim that incentive. I got so mad....I feel being lied to... what should I do ? Argggg....

Members don't see this ad.

Go back and return the car. They’ll say you can’t. You can. Raise hell until you get a refund or $4000 credit towards the buy out.

Reactions: 1 user
You mean car salesmen don't tell the truth??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Omg... The car didnt even start this morning. What's the process to claim for a return? I think I got a lemon herr

Omg... The car didnt even start this morning. What's the process to claim for a return? I think I got a lemon herr
I told you. Go to the dealership and raise hell.

Check your state's consumer protection laws for automobile purchases- this really might qualify as a lemon, and the dealer doesn't want that on their books. You have a little more leverage than you might think.

Car is now at the dealership. The technician called me and said car has no issues and okay to start now...I was like WTF. They acted like nothing happened. I could have lost my job if I didn't show up on time today. They told me to pick up the car tomorrow AM . I am thinking of not even showing up ....Tell them to keep it themselves...

That's rough. I believe your lender gets the benefit from the EV tax credit. Your best bet is to negotiate it into the sale price of the car. Sorry you got screwed, but if it helps I made a pretty bad deal on my first car after graduation. You'll get better with time. My recommendation would be to deal with the online sales departments of your local dealerships and have them compete with each other. It feels good to walk in with a pre-negotiated deal.

The money factor for CMax Energi's is showing at 0.00020MF for a 36 month, if you paid more than that, you probably got screwed.

If you lease a car and have no idea what a 'money factor' is, then you def got screwed.

But don't develop that mindset just yet, if that startup hiccup is the only thing that happened, just enjoy your ride and the gas savings over the next 3 years. Think of it as you just leased an appliance whose purpose is to get you to and from your destination at the cost of a small monthly fee. It will be under warranty for all 3 years of the lease so they should provide you with alternative transport in the event of a breakdown.

If there are multiple breakdowns that occur in a short period of time, or if the car is out of commission for weeks, consult with a lemon law lawyer and they will get you all your money and then some.

So I saw an ad of a CMax Hybrid Energi 2017 with MSRP of 31k and with rebates and incentives, dealers advertising at 22K. I came to the dealer, the salesman said he could not honor such price if I buy, but if I lease , he will be able to do 350/month x36nmonths then the residual is 10800 usd after 36 months. So I figured wow what a great deal because after all the math showed I have this car for just 20K (After 4K subtracted from federal hybrid tax deduction). I asked him if I could claim federal hybrid electric rebate and he said yes of course. Then later I came home, told a friend and he said I cannot claim that incentive. I got so mad....I feel being lied to... what should I do ? Argggg....[/QUOTE

You should be able to get out of that contract in most states. I believe you have 72 hours. Raise hell. They will take it back. Call Better Business Bureau. Call your State Office of the Attorney General.
The contract should also have a clause that states whether you have a grace period or not to return the car.

The three day cooling off period is a myth in regards to automobiles. Lots of articles on car websites/blogs which debunk it.

I leased a brand new 2017 Cmax Energi and the car didn’t work on the first day at home. I had to call towing service to tow it back to the original dealer. Then I wanted to cancel the lease contract , but the manger was kindly offered me to keep it for a few days test driving and if I don’t like , I can swap with another vehicle on lot. Now I decided to go for a certified preowned 2015 C-Max Energi SEL trim level which is priced at 16,999 on dealer now, a lot more expensive than other dealers with same model and year. What should I do ? Should I pretend like first time walking in and renegotiate from beginning for the 2015, or just be upfront show up and tell the salesman about situation and negotiate from there ? What is the best approach here ?