I got some pretty upsetting news today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureherooftime622

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm feeling pretty bummed because I had supplemental exams over the summer, so I had to rearrange my entire schedule over the summer to study for them. I passed everything except for a clinical portion of one of the exams. I got my results and I was devastated. Now I have to repeat a year.

Was feeling pretty down because I won't be able to graduate with my friends. I wanted that the most.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get over this/move past it/things to do better/keep in mind?

Sincerely,

A struggling Student

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Because of rotation scheduling issues, I was almost in a similar boat. But, one of my best friends is in your boat and while I know you wont "believe" me when I say things will work out, they will. One of the things that kept her going is that we* were always there for her and will continue to be there for her. We did and will keep doing everything in our powers to make her journey a little smoother. Just don't cut your friends out just because they're not doing the same things as you are, they wont forget you or ignore you. So be sure to keep in touch with them and bug them for notes and advice. That's one nice thing, they already went through it and can help prepare you best.

With regards to graduation, I'm positive that you can steal time away to see them off on their graduation. Then, when it's your turn to graduate, you'll have not one but two classes that will be so excited to see you walk.

*myself, other best friends, classmates

Reactions: 1 user
Having gone through this with dear students more times than I care to recall, I assure you that this will be ok.
The only advice I can share is that it's helpful to let folks know. You will get support and kindness in return.
You have so much to offer the incoming class.

Ask your Student Affairs Dean if there is someone who has been through this who would be willing to reach out to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've worked with a number of students who've been through this, both when I was a student and even now. You will absolutely get through this. Take some time to grieve and then focus on getting back to work. Be sure to fix whatever wasn't woirking before and do better going forward. Reach out and take advantage of every last resource your school has to offer you. I did a lot of personal one on one tutoring with students who were repeating a year so your school may have something similar.

Thank you so much. Still quite upset. There's something else too it's a little more personal and it shouldn't matter but...long story short....I had feelings for a friend for 4 years and before summer break I confessed to him how I felt (because I genuinely felt he did feel the same), to which he replied that I'm just a really good friend and he doesn't trust many people except for me and 2 other people and that he really values me. I just wasn't able to handle it and asked him if he just didn't contact me over the summer, so he hasn't and i'm still hurting and the fact that I have to repeat a year and won't be able to graduate with him hurts even more. I don't really know what to do about him. I feel awful.

Thank you so much. Still quite upset. There's something else too it's a little more personal and it shouldn't matter but...long story short....I had feelings for a friend for 4 years and before summer break I confessed to him how I felt (because I genuinely felt he did feel the same), to which he replied that I'm just a really good friend and he doesn't trust many people except for me and 2 other people and that he really values me. I just wasn't able to handle it and asked him if he just didn't contact me over the summer, so he hasn't and i'm still hurting and the fact that I have to repeat a year and won't be able to graduate with him hurts even more. I don't really know what to do about him. I feel awful.
You don't need to "do" anything about him. He's not in a relationship with you. If you can't handle just friends, you don't talk to them

Reactions: 1 users
This distance from your friend and classmate may help you. You won't have to worry about him as much, the distance can help you bring back a sense of self respect and you can focus on you. Value yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
this may sound like utter ****, but honestly just hang on and in time you will see that although it sucks it isn't the end of the world.