US News 2024 Ranks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bro what happened, how did my school get worse in this fiasco LOL i thought i was making MOVES to the top 20!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Im confused, I thought more schools like standford, columbia, and harvard were dropping out of the usnews these days so how are they still ranked?

Im confused, I thought more schools like standford, columbia, and harvard were dropping out of the usnews these days so how are they still ranked?

They just refused to give US News their data so US News used a mix of publicly available info and old data.

That is also just a handful of mainly top schools. All marked with footnotes in the rankings.

My understanding is that it means they aren't explicitly sending information to USNWR for them to use in rankings. USNWR is still ranking them from publicly available information though. If they simply dropped the T10 and whoever else excused themselves from these rankings, they know everyone would start actually ignoring them, so they're just using even worse information for even worse ranking methodology.

Truth is it doesn't really matter. The tiers have gone unchanged for decades, regardless of fluctuations in USNWR:

Tier 1a: Your Desi/Asian/Jewish siblings and cousins no longer like you (Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, Stanford, UCSF)
Tier 1b: You frequently wonder if you're at enough of a "target school" to exit into MBB consulting (e.g., UCLA, U Wash, Wash U, Vandy, NYU, Duke)
Tier 2: Your grandma is impressed, but brilliant fictional TV doctors never went to your med school (e.g., USC, OHSU, Colorado, Case, BU, UNC)
Tier 3: People with MBAs from a non-flagship state university are sure they're smarter than you (e.g., UC Davis, U Missouri, Rush, Louisville, Hofstra, MUSC)
Tier 4: You make SDN/Reddit threads about how your school "doesn't have a home ortho/ophtho/ENT/neurosurgery program"
Tier 5 (DO): People think you're studying "podiatry or something like that"
Tier 6 (Brand New MD/DO): You make SDN/Reddit threads about how your cold-called neurology rotation just fell through and your school's admins told you to beat it

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
"Tier 2: Your grandma is impressed, but brilliant fictional TV doctors never went to your med school (e.g., USC, OHSU, Colorado, Case, BU, UNC)"

My school is in this tier, and that description is actually pretty spot on. :lol:

Reactions: 3 users
Prelim:
Hopkins
Penn
Harvard
UCSF - WashU
Columbia
Stanford - Yale
Duke - Michigan

Final:
Harvard
Hopkins
Penn
Columbia
Duke - Stanford - UCSF - Vanderbilt - WashU
Cornell - NYU - Yale

If they simply dropped the T10 and whoever else excused themselves from these rankings, they know everyone would start actually ignoring them
So true.
And every school that pulled out knew this was going to happen too.

Really, almost nothing is going to change. Each school got to make a bit of a press splash, and now their PR/comms dept has way less paperwork to do every spring.

Because US News rankings were never about the data. They start with a list ordered in rough subjective prestige. Then find a way (relative weightings, sources of funding considered, etc.) to make the data justify that list. And then tweak the formulas every year so there's just enough movement to keep things interesting ("Guess what, my school just rose 3 ranks!") without changing the essence of the list.