I got the SAME EXACT SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anmol

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, I dont know what to do.

I took the MCAT last august and got a 26, 7V 9P and 10B, Q. I had applied last year and obviously didnt get in, no interview no nothing. THis year, I improved my app every way I could. I completed a term as president of a pre-medical club, did an honors thesis in chemistry research, had two solid 3.8s in a row each semester of my senior year with an overall gpa of 3.56 and a science of 3.47 (last time I applied it was a 3.45 and 3.3 science). I also wrote an awesome essay, and got new letters from my grdaute school, I am doing a MAsters in chemistry this yr (it's an accelerated program so its just one year, I took grad classes as a senior). Now, the one thing I was waiting for to top all this off was my MCAT score, and I got the same exact thing, even the breakdown (thank god it didnt go down). I am so depressed. I have worked so hard for this for the past 2 years and I feel like after all my hard work, dedication, and honest passion for medicine, Im not gonna get in!! What do you guys think? Do I have a chance, do I have any hope??? ALso, what can I do to improve my chances? I feel like Ive done all that I can. Please help me.

Members don't see this ad.

anmol I feel for you.... I got a 27Q.... 7,10,10 I just can't nail the verbal... my GPA is 3.50, I'm Canadian.. so only applying to private schools in the states... with the scores above most canadian schools wouldn't even look at me... but my score did go up from the first time I took it... a 25Q (got 5 on verbal) but I didn't even study hard for that one.. this time I spent the whole fuc&ing summer... I'm so sorry anmol..... trust me I feel for you...

I feel for us.... it's not fair.... but keep trying, keep persevearing and keep believing... your perseverance should proove to yourself that you have what it takes.. :oops:)

i'm a first time poster, but i felt compelled to reply. i don't think things look so bad for either of you (anmol and ocean). just look at the scores that med schools accept. for example, the posted average verbal scores for some med schools are 9 or 8.7. this means that some got above and some got below. i bet you anything that they accepted folks with a 7 verbal score.

ocean, with your composite score, i don't think you really need to retake (in my humble opinion...) if you are at all interested, you should look into DO schools. you are definitely right in the ballpark for DO schools. DOs and MDs are practically interchangeable these days.

if you guys feel the need to retake, i bet you won't feel so bad about it after a few weeks. with your passion and focus, i'm sure you two will become physicians eventually!

anmol...

i know many people who took it more than twice believe it or not...
depends on how much u want to go to med school...
think u should take it 3rd time...

i had a friend, who took it 3 times, kept going down each time at least one point, and got into a med school...
her gpa was around 3.65... and she did a masters for one year...
she actually got into 2 medical schools from 2 interviews...
one was acceptance and one was waitlist which she was accepted during summer...

another friend, took it twice, highest score was 27 or something... got into like FIVE MEDICAL SCHOOLS OR SOMETHING!!!

so there is always hope...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey kgal16

Thanx for the support. Actually this was my third time taking the test and I refuse to take it again. I feel like the rest of my application says alot about my intelligence and ability to be a compassionate physician, and the fact that I took the test 3 times says alot about my dedication, determination and willingness to work hard. I am just gonna wait not and see what happenes. If worst comes to worst, I will end up in the carribean, I just hope that by some miracle, the adcoms will actually look past my scores considering the rest of my app says so much about my capabilities. I am also doing a masters right now, in chem. I hope that helps to. Once again, thanx for your support, and for everyone else that replied to my post. I luv u guys. And I wish you guys the best of luck too!!

anmol

FIRST OF ALL DO NOT APPLY TO D.O. SCHOOLS . Not to sound like a jerk but I have a 3.75 science GPA and got a 28 9, 9, 10 the first time I took it and am ONLY applying to D.O. schools. Osteopathic medicine is medicine, it is not a back up plan. I can't stand it when people who want to quit because they didn't get the poor little score they wanted start to think about osteopathic medicine. In addition, D.O. and M.D. ARE THE SAME so if you want to be a D.O. great. If you want to be a M.D. thats great too, but don't start to think that you can fall back on the profession that I have chosen over the allopathic route.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by s42brown
Osteopathic medicine is medicine, it is not a back up plan. I can't stand it when people who want to quit because they didn't get the poor little score they wanted start to think about osteopathic medicine. In addition, D.O. and M.D. ARE THE SAME so if you want to be a D.O. great. If you want to be a M.D. thats great too, but don't start to think that you can fall back on the profession that I have chosen over the allopathic route.

Sorry to pour gasoline on your inferno, but the reality is this:

• MDs get more respect than DOs!

You never hear people say "I don't think I can get into a DO school, so I'm just going to apply to Allopathic." You often hear, "I don't think I can get into an allopathic school, so I'm just going to apply to Osteopathic." It's just a statistical reality that getting into DO school is easier. If people treat it as a second choice profession in medicine, so be it. I'm pretty sure once they get there, they'll discover the beauty of osteopathic philosophy.

But with the emphasis on numbers being what it is, the harsh fact is that numbers that don't make it into MD school get into DO school. And if there really is no difference between DO and MD as you say, I'd say it's a pretty smart move to consider DO if you don't think you'll make the MD cut. That is of course if DO = MD as most DOs tell you.

Originally posted by s42brown
FIRST OF ALL DO NOT APPLY TO D.O. SCHOOLS . Not to sound like a jerk but I have a 3.75 science GPA and got a 28 9, 9, 10 the first time I took it and am ONLY applying to D.O. schools. Osteopathic medicine is medicine, it is not a back up plan. I can't stand it when people who want to quit because they didn't get the poor little score they wanted start to think about osteopathic medicine. In addition, D.O. and M.D. ARE THE SAME so if you want to be a D.O. great. If you want to be a M.D. thats great too, but don't start to think that you can fall back on the profession that I have chosen over the allopathic route.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Allopathic and osteopathic are two different philosophical approaches, they most definitely are not the same.

Relax, as a DO you're gonna be dealing with stuff like this for the rest of your career. The more you make an issue of it, the bigger an issue it will be. If you don't let it bother you than it ceases to be an issue at all... the choice is yours.

Respect or not... I think osteopathic medicine holds great philosophies... and I would do a D.O

BUT BUT BUT....

unfortunately and I stress unfortunately in Canada a DO degree isn't recognized (I am Canadian) and you can't practice here... you can only perform manipulations So.... if I go to the US for medicine it HAS to be an MD otherwise I can't come back..that is if I do come back.. just want to leave the doors open...

You guys are lucky in the US, I wish we had so many options

You think M.D.'s get more respect, well let me tell you that I shadowed a family practitioner D.O. for a week and the majority of his patients would lay down in traffic for him. You missed my point entirely, however I'm not surprised.

I just wanted to add the fact that if you believe that D.O.'s are inferior to M.D.'s you should be very careful. There is a very good possibility that one may be your BOSS someday.:cool:

i would have to agree about D.O. patients. There is something unique about the relationship D.O.'s have with their patients. My friend has a D.O. as her physician and she has his cell number and house number and she calls him all the time when she begins to feel ill or has any other problem. I am currently applying to allopathic schools, and even though I would agree D.O's aren't given enough credit in the medical community, they receive praise from their patients. And in the end, isn't that what matters the most?

Hey kgal16

Thanx for the support. Actually this was my third time taking the test and I refuse to take it again. I feel like the rest of my application says alot about my intelligence and ability to be a compassionate physician, and the fact that I took the test 3 times says alot about my dedication, determination and willingness to work hard. I am just gonna wait not and see what happenes. If worst comes to worst, I will end up in the carribean, I just hope that by some miracle, the adcoms will actually look past my scores considering the rest of my app says so much about my capabilities. I am also doing a masters right now, in chem. I hope that helps to. Once again, thanx for your support, and for everyone else that replied to my post. I luv u guys. And I wish you guys the best of luck too!!

anmol

In response to the above statement and this is just an opinion but i know plenty of people who took the test more than 3 times; I know it sucks but maybe its worth a try. And honestly i don't think 3 times shows that much dedication. goodluck, you sound very determined and that is a quality that should be revered.