"I had this great/terrible attending..."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear people saying these things all the time: "I didn't know I'd like field X at first, but then I had this great attending...." and/or "I always thought I'd do field Y, but my attending was such a **** that it turned me off."

In theory, we should be able to see past the people for the work itself, understanding that our jobs won't be to follow our particular attendings around for a lifetime. Obviously, this is easier said than done. But, is this such a bad thing? Anyone get turned onto a field by a great mentor, only to later regret it, or vice versa? I sometimes wonder if my fascination with my probable chosen field has to do with the fact that my attending was like James Bond meets Houdini:)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say I'd admire anyone who is like James Bond or Houdini let alone both together, but to each their own! ;)

Nothing wrong with getting inspired by great attendings or mentors. But make sure to throw in a bit of realism for balance. Remember no one is perfect, not even the best of men or women, but they symbolize someone or something we aspire to be as well. Just like athletes or soldiers or firemen or what not. We can admire them for their athletic prowess or for rescuing someone in danger. But they're just like any other human being, and have their struggles and character deficiencies.

We can look up to certain people as inspirations, but at the same time we should always balance their good with their bad. Consider their strengths and weaknesses, consider their greatness but also their flaws, consider everything about them including their warts and all. In short, we should see the entire or whole person, not just the parts that excite or inspire us, but who they are in toto. I think as long we keep this right balance, we will be less likely to be disillusioned by heroes or mentors.

In addition, it might not always be possible, but if it is possible, it's good to have a few different mentors in a few different fields. That way you see that there are actually great people in all sorts of different fields.

Finally, keep in mind it's not so much the field that makes a great mentor, but it's the mentor who makes a great field. It's like having a bad vs. a great teacher. A bad teacher can make the most interesting subject in the world mundane, but a great teacher can make the least interesting subject in the world appealing.

Since your avatar makes a note of physics, imagine having someone like Richard Feynman as your teacher. Not just for physics, but for something like literature or music or whatever subject that's totally not physics. He could probably make almost any subject interesting and inspiring.

Last edited: