I Hate Cheaters !!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

what to do

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a dilemma. I am in a grad program and we have an insanely hard exam coming up. I found out that a student took the exam early and is giving the questions out to others in the class. I refuse to cheat but the problem is if I say anything some good friends of mine could get into serious trouble. My school has a reputation for expelling 1st time cheaters. The class is seriously hard, there were no A's on the 1st exam, I got the 3rd highest grade on that test but if people cheat on the second and I study normally it could really mess up my grade ( relative to the curve ) in the end. I don’t want to get anyone in trouble but the difficulty of this class means that if people do well by cheating it could cost me an A in the class. I’m so pissed, any advice :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Ok. I got this same question during my med school interview. Who's trolling here? ;)

ForbiddenComma said:
Ok. I got this same question during my med school interview. Who's trolling here? ;)

Dude I am not trolling I regularly post on SDN under another name but some people at my school could figure out who I am through my profile. I set up this name so I could post my question without people having any idea who I am. I guess because if I decide to say something to my teacher I don’t want people figuring out it was me. Can ya dig it. ????

Members don't see this ad :)
what to do said:
So I have a dilemma. I am in a grad program and we have an insanely hard exam coming up. I found out that a student took the exam early and is giving the questions out to others in the class. I refuse to cheat but the problem is if I say anything some good friends of mine could get into serious trouble. My school has a reputation for expelling 1st time cheaters. The class is seriously hard, there were no A's on the 1st exam, I got the 3rd highest grade on that test but if people cheat on the second and I study normally it could really mess up my grade ( relative to the curve ) in the end. I don’t want to get anyone in trouble but the difficulty of this class means that if people do well by cheating it could cost me an A in the class. I’m so pissed, any advice :confused:
I saw throw dem bows...

that really sucks

can you just e-mail your prof or speak to him days before class and say you heard that others have distributed the test?; don't mention any names but let him know it's out there. This way he can make sure he gives a totally different test and they have no unfair advantage. Actually they'd be at a disadvantage if they hardly studied and was counting on the same exam. :D Here comes your A! :thumbup:

If you're concerned, you just talk to your prof. I don't think you're under any obligation to name names and the obvious solution is for the prof to change the questions on the test. I presume this must occur for athletes who have to take tests early/late and I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. Your gut feeling is right on and I applaud your integrity, but I also think that if you just mention it to the prof you'll either discover they don't care or that it's an easily rectifiable situation if he changes the test questions to give everyone a fair shot.

PS: I'm surprised the person who took it early would share the questions given that it would hurt them on the curve too...

what to do said:

It seems like the professor would account for that and would have changed the test for the early test taker anyway. Professors aren't stupid you know.

Psycho Doctor said:
that really sucks

can you just e-mail your prof or speak to him days before class and say you heard that others have distributed the test?; don't mention any names but let him know it's out there. This way he can make sure he gives a totally different test and they have no unfair advantage. Actually they'd be at a disadvantage if they hardly studied and was counting on the same exam. :D Here comes your A! :thumbup:

Actually thats a really good idea, thanks :)

tacrum43 said:
It seems like the professor would account for that and would have changed the test for the early test taker anyway. Professors aren't stupid you know.

Perhaps not stupid, but maybe lazy.
The prior posters who indicated that you should let the prof know (directly or anonymously) that info is being disseminated are right. The prof still may not do anything (it's a pain to make up a new test on short notice) - but at least it's worth a try.

Definitely talk to the professor. I think you should worry less about the consequences awaiting cheaters and worry more about your grade. If others get exposed, its only their own fault for doing something they shouldnt have done in the first place.
And about your friends - it seems like it would be very difficult for the school to prove that cheating is occuring in this instance, so I doubt that they would get expelled. Hopefully they will simply fail the upcoming test.

Law2Doc said:
The prior posters who indicated that you should let the prof know (directly or anonymously) that info is being disseminated are right. The prof still may not do anything (it's a pain to make up a new test on short notice) - but at least it's worth a try.

Yeah, I took Psycho Doctors advice and just sent my Prof an E-mail from a anonymous account. I didn't mention any names and asked him / her to please not bring it up in class, just to change the test around or something. Thanks guys / gals ;)

Law2Doc said:

I agree. You probably should let him/her know.

what to do said:
Yeah, I took Psycho Doctors advice and just sent my Prof an E-mail from a anonymous account. I didn't mention any names and asked him / her to please not bring it up in class, just to change the test around or something. Thanks guys / gals ;)
great, as much of a pain that it may be to make up a new exam, caring profs would want to reward studious students and penalize those looking for the easy way out; i sincerely hope it works out for you! let us know what happens

Members don't see this ad :)
Turn all of them in. Today.

Otherwise, somewhere down the road, you'll be in a practice with a half dozen of these ethically-challenged losers, and they'll get caught in a Medicare insurance fraud or something like that. You might get arrested with them. And you might have to spend major cash trying to prove you're innocent. Either way, your reputation is long, long gone.

Think about it.

Insist on the profession being impeccably honest, as in no excuses, no exceptions. Let the lawyers be the sleaze buckets.

People that cheat don't deserve to be bedpan jockies.

Cheaters never win, and winners never cheat.

Mothra said:
People that cheat don't deserve to be bedpan jockies.
Hee-hee. I love reading that next to an avatar of Ronald Reagan. Iran Contra anyone?

notdeadyet said:
Hee-hee. I love reading that next to an avatar of Ronald Reagan. Iran Contra anyone?
Oh good grief - $10 says you're too young to know what really happened. :smuggrin:

Mothra, your signature kicks ass, L :laugh: L

what to do said:
I am in a grad program and we have an insanely hard exam coming up. I found out that a student took the exam early and is giving the questions out to others in the class.... if I say anything some good friends of mine could get into serious trouble... My school has a reputation for expelling 1st time cheaters. The class is seriously hard, there were no A's on the 1st exam, I got the 3rd highest grade on that test but if people cheat on the second and I study normally it could really mess up my grade ( relative to the curve ) in the end. I don’t want to get anyone in trouble but the difficulty of this class means that if people do well by cheating it could cost me an A in the class. I’m so pissed, any advice :confused:

Not to freak you out, but I odds seem to favor someone being able to use this info to figure out who you are or seriously narrow it down. Just a heads up.

what to do said:

Why is your professor giving the same test? Is it really that hard to make separate tests?

I am curious as to the result of the anonymous email...

Sharkfan said:
Not to freak you out, but I odds seem to favor someone being able to use this info to figure out who you are or seriously narrow it down. Just a heads up.

Or maybe I thought of that before I posted and that was not my grade at all ????

what to do said:
Or maybe I thought of that before I posted and that was not my grade at all ????
what's the matter? people concerned that the cheaters are reading this board??? what?? no sdner would ever cheat!

what to do said:

Having experienced the issue of grad students cheating and reported it to NO avail, what I've learned is that no one gives a rat's a$$ about it. Not the professors and certainily NOT the students. :mad: