I started my third extern today. My first was at a VA hospital in Florida, which was great. I learned a ton and had a great time. Then I was back at school which sucked at first and then I learned to enjoy it. I stopped sucking up and just did what I wanted and then the doctors started to treat me a little better. I guess I just became more independent and the docs like it. There were a couple I still did not get along with or showed me respect, but they don't matter anyway.
Today I worked with a retinal specialist all day. Just me and him. I did a lot of observation, but I learned a lot. He had me look at everything and talked through what he was saying. I was a good start to the extern.
Externs are so much better than being at school!