Should I TA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oculopathy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I told myself I would only tutor and not spend my limited time as a TA. I was hand-picked from our accelerated summer program (10 of us) to TA a lab (clinical skills) this fall for my fellow second years. The position would be once / week at $15 / hr (2 hours / week).

Do you think having TA experience will add value to my resume upon graduation? I'm looking for leverage to help negotiate a higher starting salary once finished with school or be a candidate for a competitive/coveted position. So far I have a few extra bullet points to add to my resume, but am open for more.

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing matters after graduation except your years of experience and what skills you can bring to a practice (eg based on residency or just experience). This would add no value to that. Anyone can TA because it's just doing stuff you already learned.

They're asking you for help. It's not some prestigious position, just a minimum wage job. Like all jobs, you get what you put in to the opportunity. A chance to have fun, meet people, or just pass time. However you seem pretty uninterested in spending time at that, so I'm doubtful you're looking to do this other than adding value to your resume. Which again is going to be worth nothing. I'd add you can negotiate an extra penny to your rate after that.

I won quiz bowl, which probably has more prestige, but again it isn't worth anything to a real practice. You'd just be a new grad doing student work for your resume. Nobody cares.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm assuming you're asking about TAing in optometry school and not undergrad.

Honestly, I don't really think the pros outweigh the cons. Sure it's "only" 2 hours a week of teaching, but it'll probably cost you a bit more time than that, if you include prep. And for $30?

I can't see how that's a good use of your time and energy. Probably better off using those hours studying and getting higher grades.