I hate medicine and I hate medical school but I just want a 'good' life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It gets different. I prefer moving around and interacting with people than being isolated and studying notes. If the OP hates the "reading about medicine," which at this point is endless studying, it will be better. The studying is the most intense/condensed during M1/M2. Perhaps mixing that with clinicals will be a significant improvement. It's at least something for the OP to consider.
Uh, no. The studying doesn't end. The frequency of tests might, but the studying doesn't.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I did not write that it ends. It is less than in M2. You are not in class/studying 6-8 hours a day anymore. Stop being obtuse.
Again. It's not "less" studying. Apparently you've never studied for shelf exam, Step 2 CK, or specialty boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Again. It's not "less" studying. Apparently you've never studied for shelf exam, Step 2 CK, or specialty boards.
Are you claiming that M3 is the same study schedule of M2 in addition to the full clinical load? Obviously it is not. I have studied for shelfs/Step2CK. Yeah, the review books arent any thinner. But there is less constant studying throughout the year!

Are you claiming that M3 is the same study schedule of M2 in addition to the full clinical load? Obviously it is not. I have studied for shelfs/Step2CK. Yeah, the review books arent any thinner. But there is less constant studying throughout the year!
M3 is harder to study on bc you have actual clinical duties and call days, etc. There is no time for frequent tests.

M3 is harder to study on bc you have actual clinical duties and call days, etc. There is no time for frequent tests.
Precisely - M3 is different and definitely not 'easier' by any objective measure. However, some personalities prefer the mix & demands of clinicals to pre-clinicals; I despised M1 and M2 because of the constant tests and studying- the only time in my life I ever felt depressed was during M2.

Reactions: 1 users
Lastly, medicine gives you the perfect opportunity to step out of the rat race and stop thinking your finance brahs are better than you. If you’re going to become a doctor, own your decision. Don’t regret it and tell people that you wish you went into finance for the money, go into a badass specialty and tell people that medicine is awesome cause you get to do something you’re actually interested in and get to significantly change the lives of tons of people.

The problem with this is that I don't think OP is actually interested in medicine. At least that the impression I get from the "I hate medicine and medical school" part of the thread title.

I didn't know the lifestyle of Engineers was so good. Mind you I know nothing about Engineering.

It definitely can be, though it varies a bit from company to company and specialty to specialty. I've got a few friends that work for the federal government doing engineering work 40 hours a week and making low 6 figures. Pretty sweet setup. Though the opposite (and what SDN likes to point to) of the software/computer engineer working 80 hours/week and getting laid off at 4o can also be true. Personally, when I was an engineer, it was a pretty steady 40 hour/week job with decent (but not great) pay.

The problem with this is that I don't think OP is actually interested in medicine. At least that the impression I get from the "I hate medicine and medical school" part of the thread title.

It definitely can be, though it varies a bit from company to company and specialty to specialty. I've got a few friends that work for the federal government doing engineering work 40 hours a week and making low 6 figures. Pretty sweet setup. Though the opposite (and what SDN likes to point to) of the software/computer engineer working 80 hours/week and getting laid off at 4o can also be true. Personally, when I was an engineer, it was a pretty steady 40 hour/week job with decent (but not great) pay.
Of course it won't be "great" pay compared to medicine. But the barrier to entry and the number of educational years is a lot less.

Of course it won't be "great" pay compared to medicine. But the barrier to entry and the number of educational years is a lot less.

I meant more compared to the high salaries that were being thrown out for engineers. You are right though, no reason to expect to make similar to a physician.

I meant more compared to the high salaries that were being thrown out for engineers. You are right though, no reason to expect to make similar to a physician.
Maybe it's me but I'm always shocked by how much more people expect to make. Professions like engineering, teaching, etc. make great livings considering their ROI, maybe even better off considering their initial investment.

Maybe it's me but I'm always shocked by how much more people expect to make. Professions like engineering, teaching, etc. make great livings considering their ROI, maybe even better off considering their initial investment.

Indeed. Everyone tends to look up to those making more and think "why don't I make that much?"

This is common. You have three choices:

1. Stay in medicine on your current path, which is basically just auto-pilot doing the bare minimum being bitter, not getting a good fund of knowledge in med school (which requires a lot of effort beyond what it takes to pass clerkships), not matching well, struggling in residency, and eventually becoming a subpar and likely impaired physician.

1a. Stay in medicine on your current path, which is basically just auto-pilot doing the bare minimum being bitter, leave medicine after medical school, pursue a career in industry. Earn an MBA and shoot for management positions in biotech or finance.

I know in my case, some of my distaste of parts of medicine were due to my jealousy of my friends who I thought were more successful than me for pursuing other careers. If OPs dislike of the subject matter of medicine and the career of a physician is just an extension of these feelings, my advice may help. Haha yeah, if a genuine, through and through despise of medicine and everything it entails is what is happening, I agree that my advice is completely useless.

Members don't see this ad :)
1a. Stay in medicine on your current path, which is basically just auto-pilot doing the bare minimum being bitter, leave medicine after medical school, pursue a career in industry. Earn an MBA and shoot for management positions in biotech or finance.

Are these positions really open to those that do not complete a residency? I am skeptical that a MD (with no residency) and an MBA is going to give OP a chance at management positions in biotech or finance. Those jobs are extremely hard to get, even for those from top MD schools. At least, that is my impression.

Are these positions really open to those that do not complete a residency? I am skeptical that a MD (with no residency) and an MBA is going to give OP a chance at management positions in biotech or finance. Those jobs are extremely hard to get, even for those from top MD schools. At least, that is my impression.

You're right. These consulting positions at Mckinsey and whatnot usually ask for class rank and bottom 25% is an automatic disqualifier. Lol why you calling me an asshat :p
Cashier at Walmart is an honest job, unlike the banker on Wallstreet.

Are these positions really open to those that do not complete a residency? I am skeptical that a MD (with no residency) and an MBA is going to give OP a chance at management positions in biotech or finance.

I meant to imply finance within the biotech sector.

In any case, yes, they're open to people without residencies. Frankly, a lot of people in those positions never even went to medical school in the first place. The MD is nothing but a leg up over the competition when his MBA is being compared to another MBA.

I meant to imply finance within the biotech sector.

In any case, yes, they're open to people without residencies. Frankly, a lot of people in those positions never even went to medical school in the first place. The MD is nothing but a leg up over the competition when his MBA is being compared to another MBA.

lol nothing like using a 300000 dollar degree for another check-mark on the resume. that's essentially the worst idea I've ever heard in my life.

lol nothing like using a 300000 dollar degree for another check-mark on the resume. that's essentially the worst idea I've ever heard in my life.

You don't do the math of very many ideas, then. He's looking at credentials that could comfortably put him into a six-figure job, and not slightly. Moreover, has he said that he's spending $300k on an MD? News to me he did. Lots of people get their MD for well less than $300k. You do know that, right? Are you psychic? Because I'm amazed you were able to conclusively determine that he's not going to a (relatively) reasonably priced state school without any indication whatsoever. In any case, even with your ridiculous numbers, I can tell you obviously don't hear bad ideas very often, if "essentially the worst" is one under which he could be making well into six figures and be debt free within 10-15 years.

You don't do the math of very many ideas, then. He's looking at credentials that could comfortably put him into a six-figure job, and not slightly. Moreover, has he said that he's spending $300k on an MD? News to me he did. Lots of people get their MD for well less than $300k. You do know that, right? Are you psychic? Because I'm amazed you were able to conclusively determine that he's not going to a (relatively) reasonably priced state school without any indication whatsoever. In any case, even with your ridiculous numbers, I can tell you obviously don't hear bad ideas very often, if "essentially the worst" is one under which he could be making well into six figures and be debt free within 10-15 years.

I mean 300k is the average so by nature on average, it's what someone would expect in that position. Add an MBA on top of that and you're gonna have a **** ton of debt. Don't really think having an MD is gonna be that big of a deal for a position where you are looking for MBA applicants. You're going to manage a business, not cure people. Yes it will look good, but not significantly.

At a state school, it will even be less impressive. The MDs getting McKinsey jobs are Ivy League graduates.

It'd be pretty difficult to get MBB from med school unless they already recruit at your school.

Even then, do you really want to go from 80 hour weeks at med school to 80 hour weeks at a hotel room in god knows where? I'd be very skeptical about anyone willing to put up with med school and mgmt consulting afterward. There are MD consultants at all the large firms (particularly BCG and McK) but they are almost all lateral hires from industry. The exception is the HHH guy (Harvard MD, JD, MBA) whose parents paid for 12 years of partying. Yes, people with these credentials exist at MBB.

It'd be pretty difficult to get MBB from med school unless they already recruit at your school.

Read my previous comments. This is very different from what I was advocating.

Read my previous comments. This is very different from what I was advocating.

I realize, but I see a lot of people shooting for mgmt consulting without really understanding what the job really means or how to gauge their competitiveness at the top firms. OP seems pretty concerned with prestige (not that there's anything wrong with that) and given the situation as well as the (misleading) fact that many MDs work in consulting, MBB might sound like a good idea. Unfortunately it's very hard to get into MBB/top boutiques from a non-traditional path (ie. undergrad at target school).

At a state school, it will even be less impressive. The MDs getting McKinsey jobs are Ivy League graduates.
I know a significant number of people from TJU an LSU going that route.

Even then, do you really want to go from 80 hour weeks at med school to 80 hour weeks at a hotel room in god knows where? I'd be very skeptical about anyone willing to put up with med school and mgmt consulting afterward. There are MD consultants at all the large firms (particularly BCG and McK) but they are almost all lateral hires from industry. The exception is the HHH guy (Harvard MD, JD, MBA) whose parents paid for 12 years of partying. Yes, people with these credentials exist at MBB.

? Who the f*ck would do that. That MD JD MBA thing is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Sounds like someone that just wants to stoke their ego.

I know a significant number of people from TJU an LSU going that route.

Yes, but they are probably doing it for the future and to become a medical administrator, not to enter the business world and use their MD to look good.... That's not a common motivation for people to get an MD at all...

Yes, but they are probably doing it for the future and to become a medical administrator, not to enter the business world and use their MD to look good.... That's not a common motivation for people to get an MD at all...

Not what I meant. I know people who work in industry who have MDs from these programs. I have about a dozen on my LinkedIn account, just off the top of my head.

? Who the f*ck would do that. That MD JD MBA thing is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Sounds like someone that just wants to stoke their ego.

Yes exactly. But you are talking about management consultants here - the HHH brand adds a lot when you're billing for around 20k/hour (or roughly 5k/hour on entry level BAs at McK).

Not what I meant. I know people who work in industry who have MDs from these programs. I have about a dozen on my LinkedIn account, just off the top of my head.

Oh for sure. The only doors that an MD closes are those without enough money to pay off debts behind them. I never met someone from a non-top 20 institution during my time who entered through MDC or Insights, though. Usually they entered laterally after working in big pharma/biotech or getting an MBA at Harvard/Stanford/Wharton.

Last edited:
You should definitely do psychiatry if you finish med school .But at this point see psychiatrist may be you have inattentive type of ADHD.

Did you not notice that the thread is 1.5 years old???

Probably just working towards a certification in necromancy. The job market is tough these days, we do what we must.