I hate secondaries, I also have questions about them...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mr. Beefy Lion

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I have been attempting to fill out secondaries but it is proving to be very difficult.

I have a few experiences that I feel may be relevant for a few secondary questions so I am going to list them with a brief explanation followed by which question I think they may be relevant for. I would really appreciate it if I could get some feed back on here.

1.) Being part of a close family made it difficult for me when I moved away to college. I became depressed my first semester freshman year being away from my family and in a novel situation. To overcome my depression I began working out more frequently, even though fitness was already an integral part of my life. This gave me confidence to be more outgoing which led to meeting many new people. Meeting many new people gave me a busy social life which essentially let me forget that I was upset being away from my family.

-I think this may be relevant for the "adversity essay" but I am afraid an ad com member may fear I will slip into another depression in med school. thoughts?

2.) I traveled to Italy with my family for 2.5 weeks during a summer while I was in college. I was introduced to a new culture and was able to learn that people may have very different views from my own due to a different upbringing/environment.

-May be relevant to "enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own"

3.) I worked in customer service in high school, as a bus boy, and as a camp counselor. I was thinking about mentioning the diversity of people I interacted with. However, I already elaborated on some of this in one of my most meaningful activities.

-May be relevant to "enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own"

4.) I am really into fitness and exercise. I know many others are as well so I am not sure this would work for a "diversity essay", not to mention it was already one of my most meaningful. I supposed I could talk about how it taught me things are earned not given etc. I am also getting into cooking and plan on backpacking Europe after I graduate.
-I obviously really need feedback on the diversity essay.

I know this is a really long post and I don't expect people to do the work for me. After reading almost all the recent secondary threads I still am unsure of these work and in need of some guidance. Thanks in advance.
 
I've seen all of these answers in various forms.
Be honest and clear. Speak in your own voice (without a thesaurus).
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Would anyone be willing to read a quick 1000 character response if I PM them? I put a short, light hearted/funny statement in my essay and wanted to see if it worked or was unprofessional
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've seen all of these answers in various forms.
Be honest and clear. Speak in your own voice (without a thesaurus).

Interesting that you say that. How do colloquialisms go over in secondaries? The issue that I'm having now is that, I don't want to be too informal but at the same time I don't want to sound like a how-to manual. WHAT IS MY VOICE??
 
Hi, I have been attempting to fill out secondaries but it is proving to be very difficult.

I have a few experiences that I feel may be relevant for a few secondary questions so I am going to list them with a brief explanation followed by which question I think they may be relevant for. I would really appreciate it if I could get some feed back on here.

1.) Being part of a close family made it difficult for me when I moved away to college. I became depressed my first semester freshman year being away from my family and in a novel situation. To overcome my depression I began working out more frequently, even though fitness was already an integral part of my life. This gave me confidence to be more outgoing which led to meeting many new people. Meeting many new people gave me a busy social life which essentially let me forget that I was upset being away from my family.

-I think this may be relevant for the "adversity essay" but I am afraid an ad com member may fear I will slip into another depression in med school. thoughts?

2.) I traveled to Italy with my family for 2.5 weeks during a summer while I was in college. I was introduced to a new culture and was able to learn that people may have very different views from my own due to a different upbringing/environment.

-May be relevant to "enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own"

3.) I worked in customer service in high school, as a bus boy, and as a camp counselor. I was thinking about mentioning the diversity of people I interacted with. However, I already elaborated on some of this in one of my most meaningful activities.

-May be relevant to "enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own"

4.) I am really into fitness and exercise. I know many others are as well so I am not sure this would work for a "diversity essay", not to mention it was already one of my most meaningful. I supposed I could talk about how it taught me things are earned not given etc. I am also getting into cooking and plan on backpacking Europe after I graduate.
-I obviously really need feedback on the diversity essay.

I know this is a really long post and I don't expect people to do the work for me. After reading almost all the recent secondary threads I still am unsure of these work and in need of some guidance. Thanks in advance.
living in Italy would also be good for your adversity essay since you're had to adapt to a completely different area
 
Opinions:
1) This option has potential but also risks, for all the reasons you mentioned. I would say it's a toss up, up to your discretion. I personally wouldn't just because it seems risky.
2) If VERY well written, this could work. However, it comes with a lot of risks, mostly of sounding like a privileged wealthy person. In 2.5 weeks, I doubt many can get a substantial introduction to a culture. IMO, Italian culture also isn't all that different from American culture.
3) I like 3 better, as it exposes a different side of you. I'd give it a go, only concern being it's a high school activity, so given less weight than if it were a college activity or after.
4) Not really the most unique. If you can really probe yourself and find an angle or something, it might work out.

I hope that helped!
 
1) I would not use it. If your GPA was low during your freshman year, it can be interpreted as an excuse.
2.) Italia is not the best example when it comes to write about meeting a new culture.
3.) USE THIS.
4.) "I supposed I could talk about how it taught me things are earned not given etc." PLEASE DON'T WRITE ABOUT THIS and much less with that attitude. Unless you did a 300 lbs -> 180 lbs transformation and you can back it up with a extensive list of life stories and wisdom gained through this, I would no do it.

Conclusion : Use the 3 and elaborate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) I would not use it. If your GPA was low during your freshman year, it can be interpreted as an excuse.
2.) Italia is not the best example when it comes to write about meeting a new culture.
3.) USE THIS.
4.) "I supposed I could talk about how it taught me things are earned not given etc." PLEASE DON'T WRITE ABOUT THIS and much less with that attitude. Unless you did a 300 lbs -> 180 lbs transformation and you can back it up with a extensive list of life stories and wisdom gained through this, I would no do it.

Conclusion : Use the 3 and elaborate.
I understand your points, I 4.0 my freshman year, does this make it any more or less acceptable of a response?

Also, you would still recommend using my interactions through work even though I elaborated on this exact topic on the extra 1325 characters of most meaningful? I chose camp counselor as most meaningful by the way. Thanks for the response
 
I didn't post it because I talked about it a bit in my personal statement and wanted to use new experiences but I lost a childhood friend to cancer when I was young. I think this would be an ideal response to overcoming hardship/adversity. However, I don't know if it would hurt me to repeatedly talk about it, it was a major part of my PS
 
For the prompt "biggest achievement outside of the classroom" I was thinking of using a situation in which my neighbor/friend with special needs started misbehaving at school and getting suspended. When I learned about it I came home from school that weekend took him out to lunch and putt putt golfing. Kept doing this during breaks and talking to him about it until he became happy again. Would this be seen as too trivial since it isn't really a tangible achievement? Thanks again