I have a Few questions about Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raidenxp2005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi

My questions are as follows:

1. Does visa status play a roll in the internship at a hospital, ie if i don't have a H1b or a J1 would it make it difficult for me to find an internship?

2. My step 1 score is 190/77 (second attempt) plus I graduated only in december 2007 would that be good enough for internship plus i'm awaiting step 2?

3. Is internship still less competitive than residency?

4. Considering the change in the numbers of residency spots, what residencies are considered easy to get into for 2009?

5. Where do i go to apply for internship, eras or nrmp?

6. Do I need both step 1 and step 2 for internship?

7. Can I acquire LOR's from US doctors?

8. Would hospitals be able to petition for a visa for a internship position?

Members don't see this ad.

hi

My questions are as follows:

1. Does visa status play a roll in the internship at a hospital, ie if i don't have a H1b or a J1 would it make it difficult for me to find an internship?

2. My step 1 score is 190/77 (second attempt) plus I graduated only in december 2007 would that be good enough for internship plus i'm awaiting step 2?

3. Is internship still less competitive than residency?

4. Considering the change in the numbers of residency spots, what residencies are considered easy to get into for 2009?

5. Where do i go to apply for internship, eras or nrmp?

6. Do I need both step 1 and step 2 for internship?

7. Can I acquire LOR's from US doctors?

8. Would hospitals be able to petition for a visa for a internship position?

First off--here in the US, internship = 1st year residency. I know it's different from many places, but here, that's how it is.
1. Yes--but it is possible. Do your research. You get sponsored for an H1 or a J1 by your program

2. You know you have an attempt and a low score--so you know that's working against you. You're a recent grad though--so that's working for you.

3. read my first sentence. there are prelim 1 year programs. you can take them but they are no guarantees.

4. what changes? i think the img friendly fields will more or less remain the same. it's seasonal for some like neuro or patho or PM&R, but the bulk wold still be IM, FM, psych I think.

5. You apply via eras, and when you join the match, you go by nrmp. Yup it's both. Unless you sign an out-of-match contract (aka "prematch") where you dont have to take the nrmp route.

6. 1, CK and CS is the minimum for ecfmg certification which you need

7. Yes --by all means, go get them if you can.

8. Yes, see number 1.

So here are my answers. just don't ask me what are your "chances" because no one really knows...Good luck! :luck:

Thanks for the reply

Can you point me in the right direction of the list of hospitalsa that sponsor H1b visas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if such a list exists - you might want to check out the more international-based forums (e.g. ValueMD) or the other International forums here on SDN.

I agree with Blade. Sadly, because of the money-making ventures of quite a number of companies, a lot of FMGs are looking for "lists". You have to understand that you're making a huge career move, and you need to do your own research. Look it up in the program websites, email the PC if you need to, and yes, it changes from year to year, sometimes within the match season in itself.