10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status
Non-Student
In veterinary courses do we have to dissect animals? :eek:

Bill59

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2006
Most veterinary schools have cadaver dissection as part of the anatomy courses.

dvm'08

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 6, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
valzie said:
In veterinary courses do we have to dissect animals? :eek:

uh yeah - how else do you plan on learning anatomy??

About the Ads

Truth74

DVM
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2003
Champaign Illinois
Status
Veterinarian
lazyjayn said:
you mean that *really* fresh rat wasn't just a very life (death?)- like model? but, but but... that's what I told myself!
:laugh:
Yeaah. Just last semester(spring), we had "fresh" rats for class. Heart was still quivering in one of their little chests.
Through review of stomach contents, they had a pretty good last meal before the...you know...long walk.

Iain

Semental Blanco
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2001
MA
www.IainHolmes.com
Status
Chopping up dead animals does not stop after vet school fyi.

OP
V

valzie

10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Hmm okay thanks. Is it just rats, or bigger animals like dogs, cats as well? horses, lambs? :/

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
valzie said:
Hmm okay thanks. Is it just rats, or bigger animals like dogs, cats as well? horses, lambs? :/
Think that's bad...become an MD and youll have to chop up humans :D

Quaggi

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2006
MA
Status
Veterinary Student
valzie said:
of course its more than just rats..have you looked into any vet school's curriculum at all? how would you possibly learn the anatomy of a horse or dog by dissecting a rat?

more importantly, why does it bother you? if it's because you think it will be gross, maybe you should be seeking another profession. if you think that the animals shouldnt have to die for the sole purpose of dissection, there are a few schools that dont raise purpose-bred animals for that (aka, tufts uses donated dogs from the hospital that were euthanized), but to a certain extent, you have to just get over it.

chris03333

Veterinarian
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Status
Quaggi said:
you have to just get over it.
yup and what will you do when you are in pathology rotations, you have the history of the animal, sometimes a live photo and you need to do a necropsy on the fresh specimen in front of you. If you cannot handle embalmed animal dissection, you are not going to do so well in necropsy :eek:

youthman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status
tncekm said:
Think that's bad...become an MD and youll have to chop up humans :D
hilarious! I can see it now: "why vet med over human med?"
"uhh, I'd rather chop up animals than humans."

funny thing is - it's pretty true!

HorseyVet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2006
Status
Other Health Professions Student
youthman said:
hilarious! I can see it now: "why vet med over human med?"
"uhh, I'd rather chop up animals than humans."

funny thing is - it's pretty true!
I don't get it

OP
V

valzie

10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Thanks all. Seems like my question was ridiculous.

Iain

Semental Blanco
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2001
MA
www.IainHolmes.com
Status
Do not worry many vets, vet students, etc are very cavalier about death/killing things - that is why you got the response you did.

snowyegret

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2005
San Francisco Bay Area
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Iain said:
Do not worry many vets, vet students, etc are very cavalier about death/killing things - that is why you got the response you did.
Did you really mean to use the word "cavalier" in this case? That word implies being nonchalant, or having disregard or disrespect. According to Webster, one definition of cavalier is :"marked by or given to offhand and often disdainful dismissal of important matters". I hardly think that's the case for most "vets, vet students, etc". Just because those in the veterinary field don't break down every time an animal has to be put down or dissected for a lab doesn't mean that they don't care. We just have to become a little more hardened to the fact that not all animals we take care of survive or that others have to be used for teaching purposes.

Iain

Semental Blanco
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2001
MA
www.IainHolmes.com
Status
Yes I did intend to use that word, and I think you will find the words most common meaning is 'coolly unconcerned'. I think that describes the hardened attitude you referred to as well.

I think vets view death very different then most people - they view it as 'the end of pain of suffering', rather then solely 'the end'.

dvm'08

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 6, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
snowyegret said:
According to Webster, one definition of cavalier is :"marked by or given to offhand and often disdainful dismissal of important matters".

are you f'n kidding me? i cant believe you looked up that word and then actually typed out the definition.

get a life.

About the Ads