i have a weak stomach...will this be a problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowdancing

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteered at the hospital a few days ago and I got the chance to observe and help a PA change a patient's dressing. What I didn't realize was that the patient had a hole in her leg because the doctor had cut away a part of it. So I could see the the skin, tissue, muscle and basically the inside of her leg. I was so excited to be able to see all this and at first I was totally fine. I did think it was a little gross, but definitely more cool than gross. After a while though I started to get really dizzy and a little queasy. This was my first time seeing anything like this, so I think this is why. Will I get used to seeing things like this? What should I do...just continue to expose myself to it and hope that I eventually don't get bothered by it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. I'm not sure anyone can give you an answer that is totally correct, since everybody's mind works differently. If you continue to see a lot of things like that, though, it's my bet you will either become so disgusted you decide to give up on the medical field, or you will become hardened to it. I don't think most doctor's are born with the ability to deal with that kind of stuff, it takes routine exposure. I'm sure you'll get used to it.

I think as long as you "get used to it", then you'll be ok. I don't think many people are really prepared for such an experience anyway, so just make sure you learned quite a bit from it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It'll grow on ya...I used to get dizzy just HEARING about stuff like blood and guts, and then I went and watched a few surgeries at the hospital and had no problem. The only time I had to look away was when the doctor was peeling the skin off (just some sort of idiosyncrasy I have - I can't watch noses being broken, any eye surgeries, or watch skin being ripped off). Otherwise I was perfectly fine. Maybe this is what you should try next - pick a surgery that is not too bloody and preferably not a surgery where there will be internal organs on display (think knee surgery, breast reduction). The nurses will make sure that you start far away from the patient and seated by the wall, so that if you pass out, you won't hurt yourself or anyone else. If you spend some time like that and feel fine, they'll let you come as close as you feel comfortable.

I've heard even med students sometimes pass out during surgeries, especially ones where the abdominal cavity is cut open.

At my school, a professor of surgery from UCSF came to give a talk and I remember he was saying how his mom asked him how he planned on becoming a doctor because he use to become queasy at the sight of blood. Obviously, he got use to it. :thumbup:

watch one or two gory movies every week

make sure to keep breathing...people tend to hold their breath at first when seeing things like this because they are amazed, shocked, or grossed out...but concentrate on making sure you are breathing and it should help you from getting that way

Honestly, just relax.

The first time I saw anything "gross" was when I was in EMT while enlisted in the Marine Corps. In Japan, a kid came in that had tried to kill himself. He cut both radials, and was "digging" for the femoral when his room mate got to him.

I remember when they wheeled him into the ER, there was blood all over the sheets...

It was so much blood man...

For the first few minutes, I seriously thought I was about to faint, but then I just relaxed and told myself that a human body is filled with blood, and if you cut the body open, the blood will come out...

Gasp! What a revelation that was huh?

But honestly, that made it much easier for me.

Since then, it hasn't really bothered me. Iraq and West Africa will help too though...lol...

I nearly fainted last summer watching a doc. try and put a catheter in a patient...needless to say it wouldn't go it and the site of blood and other not normal fluids coming out of the guys special place nearly made me faint...

The doc was really cool because he told me not to take the pain or treatment on myself. He said he learned very quickly in medical school to do the procedure and not think about anything else (like patient discomfort/pain)...that is what the pain meds are for!

make sure your blood sugar doesnt get too low either. when i first started working with my citys ems dept, i noticed that if i was hungry i was more sensitive to being bothered by those kinds of things. other than that, its a mental thing. this might not make a lot of sense, but i think as long as youre not initially grossed out by it (i realize this is a poor word choice but...) then i think you can train yourself to tolerate more and more. the fact that you didnt mind it at first, but only then it did, then id say youll be fine. you can always look away for a sec, that sometimes helps refocus you too. i wouldnt worry about it. youll be fine

make sure your blood sugar doesnt get too low either. when i first started working with my citys ems dept, i noticed that if i was hungry i was more sensitive to being bothered by those kinds of things. other than that, its a mental thing. this might not make a lot of sense, but i think as long as youre not initially grossed out by it (i realize this is a poor word choice but...) then i think you can train yourself to tolerate more and more. the fact that you didnt mind it at first, but only then it did, then id say youll be fine. you can always look away for a sec, that sometimes helps refocus you too. i wouldnt worry about it. youll be fine

YES.

I fainted during surgery on this person's carotid artery.

I was holding retractors for about 2 hrs (summer job), and my legs were locked in position, and it was hot. I had not eaten any breakfast that morning, and I was slowly realizing that I was definately going to pass out (you know that feeling where you get really panicky, and you get those cold sweats).yeah....

luckily there was another aid in there who was already sterilized, and was able to take over for me. I went over and sat down on a stool, and the next thing I know i'm on the floor, and the surgery is still going on! yes, it was awkward. Yes people made fun of me for about a month :laugh:

1) Eat something
2) don't be so tense like I was
3) you'll get used to it

I have been told that doing it is completely different from watching someone do it. Don't worry about it.

Count serial sevens in reverse order from 100--that is, 100, 93, 86, 79... It sounds silly, but it requires a certain degree of concentration and takes your mind off current events.

For other helpful ideas check out:

http://www.studentbmj.com/issues/02/07/life/250.php

The first time that I fainted was probably around 10 years old when I had to get a blood test for malaria in Malawi. I remember watching my finger being pricked and my blood smeared over the microscope slide. My dad said he was wondering where I was going when I passed while walking into the door...lol.

I've fainted a couple more times after that incident, but I've come to recognize early signs to take preventative measures. I think though, I am more queezy seeing my own blood than others. But as others have said, make sure you have food in your stomach, and build up your tolerance by observing procedures for short periods of time in the beginning. When I volunteered at the surgery center, I would watch procedures from outside, then I would progress to being in the sugery room. I would look at what was taking place, and when I started to feel light headed, I'd look away and think of something else. Pretty soon I was watching procedures without any problems.