Graduated HS 2 years early and will be 19 at the time of my med school interviews (if all goes according to plan)- Will this be a problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caligirl2023

Reaction score
Additionally, is this something I should mention in my interview? It's a big part of my "pre-med journey" and a big part of my story. Could this be viewed as a strength and something to set me apart from the crowd? Or would it likely be viewed as cause for concern?

Super appreciative of any feedback everyone can offer! Thanks in advance :)))

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible for a 19 year old to possess the maturity and experience to be accepted into a profession where they will be performing intimate exams on all genders before they can order a beer (in many states). It is not independently a strength, however.

Reactions: 4 users
Anecdotal but this is almost exactly my current situation, I feel like age alone has not significantly impacted my cycle in either direction. If you have an application that would be good enough to get you in as a 22 year old, it should still get you in as a 19 year old.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are interviewing as a BS/MD candidate, with other BS/MD's, you probably won't be the only one around your younger age, and the faculty will know this. If you are interviewing with a typical regular decision pool, as long as the other candidates don't feel uncomfortable with you, you should be fine. But you cannot think that medical school life will be like the college life you have denied or will deny yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your date of birth will be on the application so you can assume that anyone with access to your application can easily determine how old you are, if they care. That said, if you will have attended college for four years, you will be interviewing during your fourth year of college at the earliest and with three years of college behind you, your age might be overlooked (literally not looked at) by some reviewers and interviewers.

However, you may want to consider taking some time to work, do a fellowship, earn an additional degree, engage in full-time research or community service, or otherwise take some time and apply to medical school at 21. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who voluntarily took a gap year (or two) who is sorry for having had the experiences that they had during that time.

Reactions: 4 users
Additionally, is this something I should mention in my interview? It's a big part of my "pre-med journey" and a big part of my story. Could this be viewed as a strength and something to set me apart from the crowd? Or would it likely be viewed as cause for concern?

Super appreciative of any feedback everyone can offer! Thanks in advance :)))

I had a patient's mother tell me while I was examining her child as an intern I was very young to be a doctor (I was actually a non-trad and 30 years old). While I was somewhat flattered, her impression did not help to establish confidence in my care. So no, looking even younger is not really a strength, IMO. With many 21 year old applicants taking a gap year or two to mature and prepare applications, there's no reason for you rush straight to medical school. Enjoy your time before the real responsibility starts.

Reactions: 2 users