I have an interview at Mercer!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starsweet

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my first interview at Mercer!! Finally!! I couldn't wait till I could write one of these posts. :rolleyes: It's on January 13.

I was wondering, does Mercer generally admit most of the people they interview? I'm guessing no, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :D

Members don't see this ad.

starsweet said:
I got my first interview at Mercer!! Finally!! I couldn't wait till I could write one of these posts. :rolleyes: It's on January 13.

I was wondering, does Mercer generally admit most of the people they interview? I'm guessing no, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :D

Congrats! Starsweet! I know you must be so excited! Good luck! :luck:

starsweet said:

As I recall they said they will interview about 250 and accept 150, and they expect to enroll 125. Those numbers might be off by some, I can't remember. They will tell you the exact numbers during your interview. Congrats on getting this far, good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for the good wishes! How did your interview go, Jacob? I know you must have impressed them, cuz you are in!

starsweet said:
Thanks guys for the good wishes! How did your interview go, Jacob? I know you must have impressed them, cuz you are in!

Yeah, I must have done something right. I felt really good after my interview. I really had a good time and the whole process made me know thats where I want to go. If you have any other questions be sure to let me know.

Shovingit said:
Yeah, I must have done something right. I felt really good after my interview. I really had a good time and the whole process made me know thats where I want to go. If you have any other questions be sure to let me know.

How did they set it up? Did you talk to current students first, and then have individual interviews? Did you have a group discussion with other people that were interviewing? Was it closed or open file? Did you have to write an essay?

Hope that's not too many questions, feel free to PM me, lol. :)

There were about 15 of us interviewing that day, and as we showed up we all went to a conference room, and sat around a big table. So when everyone was there and it was time to start the Associate Dean of Admissions and the Associate Director of Admissions take turns talking to the group for about an hour. They talk about Mercer, the admissions process, what to expect from your interview, they basically lay out all the general information you would want to know. Then you break up into groups of three and a P1 student gives you a tour of the campus. This is a GREAT opportunity to ask questions about anything. These guys were in our position just a year ago, so it's very easy for them to relate, and you can ask them anything. That takes about an hour, then you break up again and go to your individual interviews. You have a 15 minute writing assignment, a 15 minute interview with a P3 student, and a 30 minute interview with a faculty member of the admissions board. The writing assignment is not something to worry about, they really just want to see that you can write impromptu. The P3 interview is very laid back if you let it be, just be yourself and it will go by just like a conversation. The faculty interview is a bit more formal, but still is more relaxed than I expected. Overall it was a great experience and acted twofold as an interview for them and a recruiting tool. It worked on me. :)

Congrats!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Good luck!

Shovingit said:
There were about 15 of us interviewing that day, and as we showed up we all went to a conference room, and sat around a big table. So when everyone was there and it was time to start the Associate Dean of Admissions and the Associate Director of Admissions take turns talking to the group for about an hour. They talk about Mercer, the admissions process, what to expect from your interview, they basically lay out all the general information you would want to know. Then you break up into groups of three and a P1 student gives you a tour of the campus. This is a GREAT opportunity to ask questions about anything. These guys were in our position just a year ago, so it's very easy for them to relate, and you can ask them anything. That takes about an hour, then you break up again and go to your individual interviews. You have a 15 minute writing assignment, a 15 minute interview with a P3 student, and a 30 minute interview with a faculty member of the admissions board. The writing assignment is not something to worry about, they really just want to see that you can write impromptu. The P3 interview is very laid back if you let it be, just be yourself and it will go by just like a conversation. The faculty interview is a bit more formal, but still is more relaxed than I expected. Overall it was a great experience and acted twofold as an interview for them and a recruiting tool. It worked on me. :)

So when you first sat in the conference room, did you go around and introduce yourself and say why you wanted to do pharmacy? That was something I read from the interview feedback. Also, were the questions that the faculty asked general stuff like why Mercer, and why pharmacy? Thanks!

Thanks b*rizzle - I'm sure you will hear from UNC soon!

Yeah, we all introduced ourselves and said why we wanted to go into pharmacy. I arrived about 5 minutes before the time we were supposed to get there because my flight was delayed half an hour. The other interviewees were just sitting around talking. If I had had my way I would have been there at least 10 minutes earlier, just so I could have had more time to talk to the other people.

The faculty questions ranged from why pharmacy, why Mercer, to the typical interview questions like "Tell me about a time when you had to meet a short deadline." If you're going to get a tricky question it's going to be in your faculty interview, because they know how to read your answer. Remember, it's not so much what you say, but how you say it. For example if they ask you some question and you don't have an answer ready, all they want to know is if you can think quickly and come up with an intelligible answer.

starsweet said:
I got my first interview at Mercer!! Finally!! I couldn't wait till I could write one of these posts. :D

Congrats! Jacob did a really good job of laying out the interview process; the only thing I would add is that I agree with getting there early; it was really calming to be able to talk informally with everyone before the process actually started. Also, during your "down time" (when you are waiting to interview or do your writing piece), be sure to introduce yourself to all of the admissions people in the room & strike up a conversation with them. Another thing, be sure you let your student interviewers know you are interested by asking questions about their experiences, etc.; I feel like Mercer is one school who really values their current student's opinions regarding the validity of a candidate. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine!

Thanks guys!! That's really good advice. I'll keep it in mind.

JB_11, did you hear from them already as well? How long does it take to hear from them after the interview?

starsweet said:
Thanks guys!! That's really good advice. I'll keep it in mind.

JB_11, did you hear from them already as well? How long does it take to hear from them after the interview?

Yes, I was also accepted (Jacob & I interviewed on the same day)... they told us when they would meet to make decisions & my letter was dated the day they said they were meeting; I got it 2 days later in the mail; they are very quick...

Great, I won't have to wait long then. :D Are you going to go there or are you still waiting on other schools?

starsweet said:
Great, I won't have to wait long then. :D Are you going to go there or are you still waiting on other schools?

I am pretty sure I am going there; I have already paid them my first deposit; I am still waiting to see if I get an interview at UGA in Feb/March (I got one last year & didn't get in), but I was really impressed by Mercer's program & all of the people I met at my interview; I felt like the people at Mercer were head & shoulders above other programs I am familiar with... I am sure you will do well at your interview; you are obviously in the know since you are on SDN; hopefully we will be classmates next fall! :luck:

Congrats Starsweet!
Knock'em Dead! :clap:

To ShovingIt...got any tips on a Mercer interview. I am desperate for help this is my second time interviewing with them and fourth time applying topharm schools. i was on the W.L. last year. How did you impress them. I try not to be nervous on these things but i usually am, and i feel like i dont anwer the ?'s to the best of my ability.
PLZ PLZ I NEED HELP
thanks

This is my first time using SDN. I wish I had known about it sooner. There is a lot of useful information and great advice on this website!

I also have an interview at Mercer on January 13. This is my first time interviewing with the school. I applied to pharmacy schools last year- I applied to only 3 schools. I interviewed with all 3 schools, but got waitlisted for 2 schools. This year, I researched more schools and applied to more and tried to better my application. Reading some of the posts is helping to calm my nerves. It looks like some of you guys (JB_11 and MayaRX) have applied more than once. What have you guys done to better your application? Do schools look at how many times you have applied and see that there have been improvements in your application. I'm just wondering b/c I'm really nervous about interviewing for all these schools and not getting in again this year.

Thanks

MayaRx and Rxprincess:

The best advice I can give you is to try to relax. I know it's hard, and I found myself a bit nervous when i got there, too. One thing you have to remember is: Mercer has already decided your stats are good enough. They want you to be at their school. The main perpose of the interview is to make sure you have some people skills. As long as you formulate coherent sentences that answer their questions, it doesn't matter what you say. When they ask you a question they really don't care what you answer is, but rather how you answer it. The interview feedback and the faq's here at SDN are GREAT preparation tools, the only ones I used. Print out any lists of potential questions and write down some ideas. DONT have huge answers ready for any question, but have an idea of what you might say for most of them, so that you don't take forever to answer. I found SDN about a week before my interview, and used it the best I could. You have enough time if you use it right.

Good luck guys, hope you do well.

To MayaRx & Rxprincess,
I know how stressful it is to be in the WL. I was in WL last year too for Mercer. But I got in this year. My PCAT is better this year and I applied early (around September). As far as interview, I don't think I did anything different. Just be yourself and be confident, as everybody else said. Last year I got interview kinda late (around May). I'm pretty sure their class was almost full when they interviewed me. But I'm sure both of you will do just fine. You all got interviews quite early. That's a good sign. I know 2 people so far who were in the WL last year and already got in this year. Just be positive and it would reflect on your interview. Good luck!