Mercer interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenarcisist

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I recently got invited for an interview at mercer. I'm an out of state student and I'd be flying over by May 2nd. Anyone living in ga and have recommendations on where to stay to safe money? I'm concerned about having to pay for uber and what not but if anyone could please recommend a few options on where to stay, Be it an airbnb or whatever. something really cheap.

Another request is overall tips to be considered before the interview like dress code and what to know and what not to know.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I recently got invited for an interview at mercer. I'm an out of state student and I'd be flying over by May 2nd. Anyone living in ga and have recommendations on where to stay to safe money? I'm concerned about having to pay for uber and what not but if anyone could please recommend a few options on where to stay, Be it an airbnb or whatever. something really cheap.

Another request is overall tips to be considered before the interview like dress code and what to know and what not to know.
?

As long as you have a pulse during your interview your in. Doesn't matter what you say lol. Your seat is secured by simply applying now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

So think about it...

An interview in May to start school in August? Do you not see the problem here? They are dying for your money - don’t do it!

So think about it...

An interview in May to start school in August? Do you not see the problem here? They are dying for your money - don’t do it!

what do you mean don't do it? like don't choose Mercer or?

what do you mean don't do it? like don't choose Mercer or?

From a practicing RPh to someone seeking a career in pharmacy, my advice is don’t do it. The loans vs pay, job security and working conditions is not worth it. That’s just my opinion though. 2019 is hard to find jobs...pretty much none available. I can’t think of what it will be like in 2023 when another 60,000 pharmacists will be flooding the market ahead of you. That’s not counting the currently unemployed pharmacists.

From a practicing RPh to someone seeking a career in pharmacy, my advice is don’t do it. The loans vs pay, job security and working conditions is not worth it. That’s just my opinion though. 2019 is hard to find jobs...pretty much none available. I can’t think of what it will be like in 2023 when another 60,000 pharmacists will be flooding the market ahead of you. That’s not counting the currently unemployed pharmacists.

i understand what you're getting at. i'm just lost as to what i shouldn't do do you mean I shouldn't go to choose pharmacy as my career pathway anymore or I shouldn't choose mercer university.

How was the interview? What type of questions did they ask? How long was your interview? I have an interview coming up shortly and need feedback, please. I am a nervous wreck, wondering, what all I'll be asked?

1) Wear a suit.
2) Speak coherent English.
3) Memorize your response to the question “why pharmacy school?”
Good luck.

How was the interview? What type of questions did they ask? How long was your interview? I have an interview coming up shortly and need feedback, please. I am a nervous wreck, wondering, what all I'll be asked?

They'll probably ask, "why pharmacy?" etc. etc. then you can hit them with a question - "how is the pharmacy market right now and will I have a good chance of finding a job when I graduate?" …
then they'll fumble with their words and say "You're in!" and leave the room with a sigh of relief because they know they're filling in those seats to keep their salary at the school.

Reactions: 2 users
They'll probably ask, "why pharmacy?" etc. etc. then you can hit them with a question - "how is the pharmacy market right now and will I have a good chance of finding a job when I graduate?" …
then they'll fumble with their words and say "You're in!" and leave the room with a sigh of relief because they know they're filling in those seats to keep their salary at the school.
Wow, that’s literally what happened to me...

Thank you so much for responding! I need all the help I can get as I am a bit nervous.

• Haha
Thank you so much for responding! I need all the help I can get as I am a bit nervous.
Don’t be nervous haha. Literally if you’re not some super introvert who can’t work with people or someone who can’t speak coherent English, there’s no reason why you won’t get in.

This nonsense is still happening? I can't believe schools are wasting people's time and money by making them fly in, pay for a hotel and Uber/car rental for an unnecessary interview. They are struggling to fill seats right now, if they eliminate the interview then they'll probably get more students to enroll and give them 200k.

In the real world with an in demand profession, the employer will pay for your flight, hotel, car rental, and still offer you a sign on bonus.

Reactions: 1 users
This nonsense is still happening? I can't believe schools are wasting people's time and money by making them fly in, pay for a hotel and Uber/car rental for an unnecessary interview. They are struggling to fill seats right now, if they eliminate the interview then they'll probably get more students to enroll and give them 200k.

In the real world with an in demand profession, the employer will pay for your flight, hotel, car rental, and still offer you a sign on bonus.
Who knows? If they're REALLY desperate they might end up flying students out for an interview...

Still having an interview process is a pharmacy school’s attempt to play tough guy. It’s the school trying to put up a front and look like they’re professional and have standards in front of potential students. True role reversal here.

Reactions: 1 users
i understand what you're getting at. i'm just lost as to what i shouldn't do do you mean I shouldn't go to choose pharmacy as my career pathway anymore or I shouldn't choose mercer university.
Don’t go into pharmacy at all. If you have not done early admissions, you can still drop out after getting an acceptance letter. If you want to pursue “clinical pharmacy” and don’t have grades for medical school, don’t do pharmacy to try to get a residency.

Instead, apply to BSN or physician assistant school.
1. Physician assistant requires less schooling than a clinical pharmacist, but they make more money and have prescriptive authority and provider status compared to a clinical pharmacist. Everything the pharmacy school is marketing to you “ provider status, “ prescriptive authority, the physician assistant is already performing those roles.

2. Physician assistant is in demand and you can pursue a residency as a physician assistant with more hands on patient care compared to pharmacy residents.

I am a new grad. There are no jobs. Every job offer I have gotten is a non pharmacy job. But consider PA school or BSN if you are interested in clinical or USMD if you have the grades, a high MCAT score, and stellar ECs

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey! I am a GA resident and I have my Mercer Interview tomorrow. My recommendations is look for hotels in the Tucker area. Solid price for a Comfort Inn and its near Mercer's Atlanta Campus which is where the interview will take place