The Doom & Gloom

5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
A brief history of me:
-a 2014 PharmD candidate w/ no work experience & average grade.

So this is my 2nd interview at one of the biggest retail chains.
The problem is that it's in a very non-desirable area. More specifically, the commute would be impossibly long. I don't know if I should kindly apologize and ask if I could interview at a different district.

Is this a terrible idea?

Happy holidays.

OmiPharmD

Pharmacist
5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Consider moving if they offer you a job and you get no other offers. You can always transfer later. Better a job in an undesirable location than no job.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CardinalGirl210

Ackj

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
A brief history of me:
-a 2014 PharmD candidate w/ no work experience & average grade.

So this is my 2nd interview at one of the biggest retail chains.
The problem is that it's in a very non-desirable area. More specifically, the commute would be impossibly long. I don't know if I should kindly apologize and ask if I could interview at a different district.

Is this a terrible idea?

Happy holidays.
What's "impossibly long" to you? I know several pharmacists who drive 80-100+ miles each way. Gas costs would probably hit your salary pretty hard, but it must be feasible for them. I know one gets a hotel when he has to work back to back shifts, so that probably relieves the burden a little bit.

Apr 17, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Since variants of this question are asked weekly, and always from people that have no license, are in school, just average students, concerned if they should continue in school, worried about procuring a job, have infinite reasons why they don't want the job NOT being offered to them, need answers to questions no one could possibly know, argue against any sage wisdom presented to them and just joined the site, I'll keep the answer simple.
No, it's not a terrible idea. Don't apologize to the interviewer. Demand employment in a different district or use of the corporate jet to wing you to work daily.
Your welcome in advance. Happy Holidays.

msweph

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
If you want to work for the company, take the job. Move part way in between so youre not too far away from home, but the commute isn't too far. Be in the lookout for an opening where you want to be.

nextyearrx

7+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
In this touch economy, it is even hard to get an interview offer!! Yes, I would recommend to accept the job offer, work for the company for about 6 months-1 year; and then think about relocation. That way you get to learn the system and it will be easier to get transfer once you build the experience with the company.