I have my OAT at the end of August, and I haven't studied much. Should I postpone it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulPremed.

OMS-1
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have postponed it two times already. I'm taking physiology this summer and it barely ends this week. After that, I am going on vacation for a week with family. That leaves about 21 days to study. If I postpone it, I would have to pay the 60 dollar fee. I would realistically only postpone it to mid Sept because after that my classes start for my UC. What should I do? I am stressing. I also need to do well on the OAT because I have a kinda low GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea what resources you have or how smart you are, so speaking generally: 3 weeks is doable, but it is definitely gonna be VERY tight. take a practice test (full length or one of the short ones that are online) and do not look anything up. If you have absolutely no idea what is going on, postpone it. that $60 is gonna be worth it if you dont have to take the test again. But if you find that during the practice test you can 1) recall some info that you learned from when you took the classes, 2) get a good number of questions right, and 3) make educated guesses on all the rest, I think you should prepare a study plan before your vacation, enjoy your week off, then give studying 110% during those 21 days and go for it.

I think it's doable if you can fully commit to a strict study schedule. If you've already taken classes and are familiar with the material, then the three weeks should be about reviewing briefly and just slamming out lots of practice questions. I agree with the other post where if you really feel uncomfortable and unsure, the $60 will be a good save since a retake will cost +$300. Post-poning it til after you start school is only going to stress you out more since you have college courses to focus on now too.

For the physiology section, I highly recommend Crash Course on Youtube. That's literally the way I studied for it. They provide simple overview for each system and even have multi-part series for each system that go into more detail.

Take your vacation and enjoy your time off. If you feel guilty for not studying (which i occasionally felt if i ever took the day off from it,) watch some youtube refreshers or go on Quizlet and do some flashcards.

Low GPA + minimal OAT study time = postpone