I have seen you can specialize in Neuroinfectious diseases?

Started by Kakarrott
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kakarrott

Full Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it true that you can be both a neurologist and ID specialist with a special training in combination of those two specialities?

What patients would a doctor like this meet the most?

Would a speciality like this be a diagnostic heavy?

It seems like an interesting combination of specialities but it seems kind of really sharp narrowed, so I am asking if it isn't just a hoax 😀
 
Is it true that you can be both a neurologist and ID specialist with a special training in combination of those two specialities?

What patients would a doctor like this meet the most?

Would a speciality like this be a diagnostic heavy?

It seems like an interesting combination of specialities but it seems kind of really sharp narrowed, so I am asking if it isn't just a hoax 😀
You are now a second year med student in the Czech Republic? If that's correct, things might be different in the Czech Republic. Most people here probably are not familiar with how things work in the Czech Republic. It might be more helpful to ask your question on the European forum?

But in America, yes you can do everything if you reeeeeeeeeally want to. Like you can do IM (3 years), then neuro (3 years), then ID (2 years). That is crazy for many different reasons (e.g. opportunity cost) and I don't know why anyone would want to do that, but sure it is possible.

The patients you would see would be whatever patients you want to see. You could tailor your practice however you want. You can see neuro patients or ID patients for example. Maybe you can be a combined neuro-ID physician if you can find a practice or hospital that needs you to do both, but I have never heard of this happening so far.

I don't know what you mean by "diagnostic heavy" but if you're a neurologist, I guess you would be "heavily" diagnosing a lot of neurological issues. If you're an ID physician, then I guess you would be "heavily" diagnosing ID issues. PCP's would refer to you for neuro and/or ID issues if they didn't think they could manage the patients on their own or wanted to refer to you for other reasons so you'd get a lot of patients that way.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad