I have written DAT twice, but now in a dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have written Canadian DAT twice, and received the following score. So, this result goes to dump

1st attempt:
every section is around 17. I wrote it w/o preparing much

2nd attempt:
reading comprehension 18
biology 22
chemistry 23
perception (PAT) 19
carving 3

3rd attempt:
reading comprehension 17
bio 19
chem 21
perception (PAT) 21
carving 13

I know my carving score sucked and have no chance for Canadian school. So, I am going to apply for US school this coming cycle. I am only going for private schools since I am a Canadian w/o US citizenship.

My question is..

Do I get to pick which score to use when applying? If so, which score should I use? The 2nd attempt has higher academic average but carving sucked, but 3rd attempt has lower academic average but carving is much better.

Will adcom all my scores?

Is my DAT score competitive enough given my GPA is around 3.4?

Should I write the American DAT? I really want to avoid this since I have already written DAT 3 times.

Members don't see this ad.

They go with your last test, but they will also see your previous scores. Good Luck.

the schools look at all your scores placing emphasis on the most recent score. The bad thing is that your scores went down in everything on your last attempt except for the PAT. But your gpa is descent. The US version of the DAT doesnt have carving so I doubt they take carving into consideration. Just apply and try yer luck. you might be able to get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! I am not sure what score range is considering competitive for private school. Is my score pretty competitive for private schools?

I have done lots of dental related volunteering (dental assisting oversea) and in the process of publishing a paper relevant to facial development.

if you wrote the DAT you ought to get a good score

:laugh: You should get 30s in every section... I've learned enough from SDN to use "take" instead of "write the DAT". Scores are alright, can balance out your RC score.

Did you say WRITTEN???

I though written and taken mean the same in this context. If you use either of these in Canada, we will understand fine.

Is there a official published stats on admission for US schools somwhere? I tried predent.com, but I imagine it may be inflated a bit. I just wanna to see how my score stacked up compare to other people, and apply to schools that I have high chance of getting in. Thanks

Predent.com has the average stats of the matriculations, that should help.

Is there a official published stats on admission for US schools somwhere? I tried predent.com, but I imagine it may be inflated a bit. I just wanna to see how my score stacked up compare to other people, and apply to schools that I have high chance of getting in. Thanks

i think you have a pretty good shot at private schools.

i'd give up. nobody like canadians anyways.