I heard a rumor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
that there is a massive shortage of Technetium-99...

I think nukyuler druggists are smuggling them out of the country....

Members don't see this ad.

that there is a massive shortage of Technetium-99...

I think nukyuler druggists are smuggling them out of the country....

I heard you could add lidocaine 1% to syringes containing technetium-99 sulfur colloid and have a stable mixture for up to 8 hours. Big stuff apparently.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard you could add lidocaine 1% to syringes containing technetium-99 sulfur colloid and have a stable mixture for up to 8 hours. Big stuff apparently.

Ehhhh...it's going to sting because it was meant to be injected IV. SC for lymphoscintigraphy is off-label, and you'll have issues with physical stability when you QS with lidocaine since the colloid particles will be affected by the charges. Some pharmacies will do it, but it's not recommended. Probably better off going with a topical anesthetic or separate intradermal lido injections.

Ehhhh...it's going to sting because it was meant to be injected IV. SC for lymphoscintigraphy is off-label, and you'll have issues with physical stability when you QS with lidocaine since the colloid particles will be affected by the charges. Some pharmacies will do it, but it's not recommended. Probably better off going with a topical anesthetic or separate intradermal lido injections.

You must not have read the "Practice Report" published in the latest American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy by Ohio State Nuclear guy George Hinkle.

Dura JV, Hinkle GH. Stability of a mixture of technetium Tc99m sulfur colloid and lidocaine hydrochloride. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2007;64:2477-9.

You must not have read the "Practice Report" published in the latest American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy by Ohio State Nuclear guy George Hinkle.

Dura JV, Hinkle GH. Stability of a mixture of technetium Tc99m sulfur colloid and lidocaine hydrochloride. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2007;64:2477-9.

Hah! Funny coincidence...I just met and spoke to them this week. Everything I've read and been told said you were risking physical stability (risking being the key word). I'll ask him about it on Monday. The other issue of course is how you (properly) label the syringe.

Hah! Funny coincidence...I just met and spoke to them this week. Everything I've read and been told said you were risking physical stability (risking being the key word). I'll ask him about it on Monday. The other issue of course is how you (properly) label the syringe.

Yeah, I thought it was funny Epic starts spouting off about technetium, and I look over on my desk because I remembered seeing it in the title of an article in AJHP yesterday when I got back from Vegas.

and I thought it was due to a Canadian nuclear reactor shutting down...

I had a rotation at one last march, I think they said one company that makes the generators stopped making them or something.

I had a rotation at one last march, I think they said one company that makes the generators stopped making them or something.

Not exactly. There're 2 manufacturers for generators in the US: Bristol-Myers Squibb and Mallinckrodt (Covidien)...and no nuclear reactors in the US. BMS uses a nuclear reactor in Canada, and Covidien uses one in Holland. The reactor in Canada was shut down for scheduled maintenance...and was supposed to be down for a short period of time. As soon as they went in though, they realized they had to fix the emergency power supply for the water pumps...and think it'll be down until at least January. :mad: C'est la vie with the way it's set up right now...the system is just way too fragile.

Not exactly. There're 2 manufacturers for generators in the US: Bristol-Myers Squibb and Mallinckrodt (Covidien)...and no nuclear reactors in the US. BMS uses a nuclear reactor in Canada, and Covidien uses one in Holland. The reactor in Canada was shut down for scheduled maintenance...and was supposed to be down for a short period of time. As soon as they went in though, they realized they had to fix the emergency power supply for the water pumps...and think it'll be down until at least January. :mad: C'est la vie with the way it's set up right now...the system is just way too fragile.
im disappointed with the players in this thread...I used to think epic was cool...I used to think spiriva sunrise was a dork...she still is

How'd the rotation go? Were the hours crappy?

um, it started pretty early or at like 7 but I lived 40 min away so I ended up having to wake up at 5:30 or something. The total hours weren't bad something around 40 hours a week. The preceptor was cool, he was younger and from the area(so was I) so we had stuff to talk about. He actually ended up sitting in my block for football this past year also.