You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
I honestly have no preference between these three majors...
Started by nysegop
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Biology and Biological Sciences is pretty much the same if not identical. They just have a different name but Biological Sciences sounds fancier.
Research each program at various schools and compare the curriculum. Would you mind telling us what colleges you apply to so I can take a look at the curriculums for the aforementioned majors?
Sent from my Xoom using SDN Mobile
Research each program at various schools and compare the curriculum. Would you mind telling us what colleges you apply to so I can take a look at the curriculums for the aforementioned majors?
Sent from my Xoom using SDN Mobile
I've spent a while thinking about majors. I have narrowed it down to three that I think would be the most interesting to me. Can anyone think of any advantages or disadvantages of these?
-Biology (BA)
-Biological Science (BS)
-Neurological Science (BS)
I think Biological Science and Neurological Science are more likely to include components that will be covered again in medical school (keep in mind this would give u the tiniest break, med school won't go into as much depth as in bachelor's on biomedical science).
With that being said i would personally choose Biology because it would interest me more.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Biology and Biological Sciences is pretty much the same if not identical. They just have a different name but Biological Sciences sounds fancier.
Research each program at various schools and compare the curriculum. Would you mind telling us what colleges you apply to so I can take a look at the curriculums for the aforementioned majors?
Sent from my Xoom using SDN Mobile
The college where I am going has two options for biology:
-Biology
-Biological Science
The biology major is a BA, whereas the Biological Science major is a BS.
D
da8s0859q
Dude, you've been going at this majors thing for months and months now.
It does not make nearly as much of a difference as you might think. Look at the course requirements for your prospective degrees and go with the one that is more interesting to you.
You couldn't have paid me enough to get a biology degree in college, but that's just me. So I didn't get one. I got one in a soft science because I was interested in it. I took a bunch of prereq-type classes that would have been great for a biomedical sciences degree and would have possibly done that if I had to go back. Either way, I graduate from medical school in a few months.
Your academic performance, your interests, and your desired "backup plan" in case you don't end up going the med school route are what matters.
It does not make nearly as much of a difference as you might think. Look at the course requirements for your prospective degrees and go with the one that is more interesting to you.
You couldn't have paid me enough to get a biology degree in college, but that's just me. So I didn't get one. I got one in a soft science because I was interested in it. I took a bunch of prereq-type classes that would have been great for a biomedical sciences degree and would have possibly done that if I had to go back. Either way, I graduate from medical school in a few months.
Your academic performance, your interests, and your desired "backup plan" in case you don't end up going the med school route are what matters.
Dude, you've been going at this majors thing for months and months now.
It does not make nearly as much of a difference as you might think. Look at the course requirements for your prospective degrees and go with the one that is more interesting to you.
You couldn't have paid me enough to get a biology degree in college, but that's just me. So I didn't get one. I got one in a soft science because I was interested in it. I took a bunch of prereq-type classes that would have been great for a biomedical sciences degree and would have possibly done that if I had to go back. Either way, I graduate from medical school in a few months.
Your academic performance, your interests, and your desired "backup plan" in case you don't end up going the med school route are what matters.
Just curious, which soft science did you choose?
Major in History and you'll have a lot more fun in college, and still be more interesting to med schools at the end.
But I hate history 🙁
I actually really like science. Maybe I will major in an easier soft science and minor in a hard science.
Dude, you've been going at this majors thing for months and months now.
It does not make nearly as much of a difference as you might think. Look at the course requirements for your prospective degrees and go with the one that is more interesting to you.
You couldn't have paid me enough to get a biology degree in college, but that's just me. So I didn't get one. I got one in a soft science because I was interested in it. I took a bunch of prereq-type classes that would have been great for a biomedical sciences degree and would have possibly done that if I had to go back. Either way, I graduate from medical school in a few months.
Your academic performance, your interests, and your desired "backup plan" in case you don't end up going the med school route are what matters.
This.
Choose a major that interests you and tailor your plan to fulfill the prerequisites of the postgraduate program you plan to apply to. Everything else will fall into place.
In my opinion, there were too many premeds with biology majors and... biology was boring. I initially chose bioengineering but went to chemistry after two quarters. As a result, I had more fun with volatiles, combustibles and a chance to make ice cream with liquid nitrogen. It was tough, but a lot of fun.
Had med school not worked out, I would have been all right with analytical chemistry. Graduated med school last year.
I'd personally go with Biological Sciences (BS). I'm in that major at my university and it offers a great back-up plan in case I don't get into medical school. We have a "Scieneering" program here that allows for Biological Sciences and Chemistry majors to get into the graduate Biomedical Engineering MS and PhD program by taking 3 extra courses during undergrad. It's a great back-up plan since it is a joint program through Wake Forest School of Medicine and my university.
Before you commit to anything though, you should research graduate opportunities in all of those majors. I'm not saying you'll fail to get into med. school, but you do need a solid plan in case you don't. A lot of medical school committees will actually ask you what your plans are if you don't get in. It is crucial that you have a plan should that happen.
Before you commit to anything though, you should research graduate opportunities in all of those majors. I'm not saying you'll fail to get into med. school, but you do need a solid plan in case you don't. A lot of medical school committees will actually ask you what your plans are if you don't get in. It is crucial that you have a plan should that happen.
I know that I will minor in chemistry. Here's why:
Requirements for undergraduate chemistry minor:
-2 Semesters of Inorganic Chem (Premed and Science Major Requirement)
-2 Semesters of Organic Chem (Premed and Science Major Requirement)
+1 Specialty Chem Course
That means all I would need to do is take 1 course in addition to the requirements.
Requirements for undergraduate chemistry minor:
-2 Semesters of Inorganic Chem (Premed and Science Major Requirement)
-2 Semesters of Organic Chem (Premed and Science Major Requirement)
+1 Specialty Chem Course
That means all I would need to do is take 1 course in addition to the requirements.
I'm planning to major in Sociology.
Why? Because I like it. No, you don't get any jobs with a Sociology degree. However, I don't have a backup plan for medical school. It's either Medical School, Osteopathic Medical School, Dental School, or Podiatry School, and I wouldn't mind going into any profession. I have to get into one of them. If not, i'm a failure.
Why? Because I like it. No, you don't get any jobs with a Sociology degree. However, I don't have a backup plan for medical school. It's either Medical School, Osteopathic Medical School, Dental School, or Podiatry School, and I wouldn't mind going into any profession. I have to get into one of them. If not, i'm a failure.

I'm planning to major in Sociology.
Why? Because I like it. No, you don't get any jobs with a Sociology degree. However, I don't have a backup plan for medical school. It's either Medical School, Osteopathic Medical School, Dental School, or Podiatry School, and I wouldn't mind going into any profession. I have to get into one of them. If not, i'm a failure.![]()
Haha. My plan:
1. MD
2. DO
3. Lab technician.

If I don't get into a medical school I will honestly apply every single year for the rest of my life.
Haha. My plan:
1. MD
2. DO
3. Lab technician.
If I don't get into a medical school I will honestly apply every single year for the rest of my life.
I think there should be a gap year in between rejection

D.O. schools have grade replacement for Post Bacc programs. So the strain I suppose is easier to bear.
For one guy on these forums, it took him 6 years to get accepted
I can't imagine.I think there should be a gap year in between rejection
D.O. schools have grade replacement for Post Bacc programs. So the strain I suppose is easier to bear.
For one guy on these forums, it took him 6 years to get acceptedI can't imagine.
I would probably to a post bac if I didn't do super well in college.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would probably to a post bac if I didn't do super well in college.
Personally, I think i'm taking a whole year off after College.
Never again would I have a totally free life if I were accepted to medical school....
Personally, I think i'm taking a whole year off after College.
Never again would I have a totally free life if I were accepted to medical school....
Until you retire.
A) "soft science"? Some of these soft science professionals invented many of the statistical analyses that "hard science" professionals depend on. + you should check out what the 2015 MCAT has in store. Stuff that some might call soft science.
B) I've met very few premeds at my university that aren't bio majors. Mixing it up couldn't hurt. I was originally a philo major. There are very profound benefits to other non-bcpm majors.
C) A quick shout out to Hugh Myron for sticking with philo (iirc). Only the most hardcore do so.
B) I've met very few premeds at my university that aren't bio majors. Mixing it up couldn't hurt. I was originally a philo major. There are very profound benefits to other non-bcpm majors.
C) A quick shout out to Hugh Myron for sticking with philo (iirc). Only the most hardcore do so.
Oh yea..
D) lab tech (medical) is about as fun as watching drosophila mate. Enjoy!
D) lab tech (medical) is about as fun as watching drosophila mate. Enjoy!
A) "soft science"? Some of these soft science professionals invented many of the statistical analyses that "hard science" professionals depend on. + you should check out what the 2015 MCAT has in store. Stuff that some might call soft science.
B) I've met very few premeds at my university that aren't bio majors. Mixing it up couldn't hurt. I was originally a philo major. There are very profound benefits to other non-bcpm majors.
C) A quick shout out to Hugh Myron for sticking with philo (iirc). Only the most hardcore do so.
A. I didn't say soft science is bad. There is nothing negative about a soft science.
B. True, but I see no point in majoring in something else when I really like biology.
A. I didn't say soft science is bad. There is nothing negative about a soft science.
B. True, but I see no point in majoring in something else when I really like biology.
A) I can get a but defensive about the term "soft science". Do forgive. Can you guess what my major is? 😀
B) That's a good reason to be a bio major. The people I'm talking about give me funny looks for not being a bio major as if it's the only major that warrants consideration by an adcom. The point is, and I think you get it, that it's okay to venture out for your major. Adcoms will sometimes ask why you chose your major. They asked me (and mine's not that uncommon).
A) I can get a but defensive about the term "soft science". Do forgive. Can you guess what my major is? 😀
B) That's a good reason to be a bio major. The people I'm talking about give me funny looks for not being a bio major as if it's the only major that warrants consideration by an adcom. The point is, and I think you get it, that it's okay to venture out for your major. Adcoms will sometimes ask why you chose your major. They asked me (and mine's not that uncommon).
A. Hmmmmm... Psychology?
B. I'm majoring in bio but probably mini ring in something like philosophy or English. Not because I think it will look good but I like the subjects an I think I will do well in them.
A. Hmmmmm... Psychology?
B. I'm majoring in bio but probably mini ring in something like philosophy or English. Not because I think it will look good but I like the subjects an I think I will do well in them.
A) psych
B) Can't go wrong with philo as a minor. Benefits? Enhances your reading, writing, and critical thinking skills.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 15
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 429