i hope somebody can reassure me!!!!!

Started by eyecare510
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eyecare510

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys...i just wanted to share my stats and get some feedback on whether there is any hope for me at all!
my cum gpa is 3.12; science gpa is sliiightly be 3.0 (including repeated classes, but not including repeated courses is about 3.0); oat score: AA-320, TS-340..but on 2 sections i got below 300; and i have 1 yr experience at an optomterist office

ive applied to NECO, PCO, and ICO...NECO is my number one choice...i havnt heard from any of these schools yet...i also applied to SUNY but they didn't even give me a chance at all!! and im starting to panic now; im really scared that the other schools won't atleast give me an interview either, cuz i know a good interview can help ALOT...and that's all im praying for right now

what do u guys think????????? is there still hope for me???
im so nervous that i cant think about anything else (after getting that rejection from SUNY!!!!!!!!)
 
you still seem fit for the admissions criteria. try doing some more volunteer work in hospitals or optometry offices, or shadowing an optometrist to better your chance. but i think you still have hope. schools are looking for over a 3.0 gpa, and you have that, so they will definitely look at your application.
 
Hey, I know how frustrating it must be for you......the only advice I can give you is that the only thing you can do at this moment is just to play the waiting game. I know you must believe that your stats may not be "up to par" with some of the people that are on this forum......but I have heard from a number of people, including from this site, that have gotten in with similar stats to yours.

But hey, if worst comes to worst.... if you don't get in this year......and optometry is something you really want to get into.....just study your a** off for the OAT again, and rewrite,..... and apply early for the next admission cycle. I know a number of people that didn't get in their first time applying, including members from this forum, but got in the following year (My friend actually applied 3X and got in his third time!!!).

Just never give up....I'm pretty sure there are lots and lots of people in your situation who got in.

But hey, that's just my take on it.....hopefully that helped.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i think realistically your chances arn't very good this year. it is possible to get an interview with a low gpa, but usually you would need a very high OAT AND very good ECs. Even though your TS score is good, it's important to have a balanced score rather than highs and lows (i assume the two <300 sections are RC and physics?). It is an advantage that you have already sent in all of your applications, but I would register for winter/spring classes anyway just in case. Worse comes to worst you'll be a reapplicant, so don't feel sad or hopeless. 👍
 
thanks for the confidence guys! and pienfoo..thanks for the honesty but i think im even more worried now
has neone else been in a similiar situation like mine and received good news in the end?
 
well...i don't know if i could offer u hope....but Suny put me on hold without an interview...your problem i am assuming was the gpa...mine the OATs....i am currently studying for them (it is hard especially that i'm out of school and out of that mindset) and will retake them since they have asked me to. The worst part is i cannot stop thinking about the what ifs...what if i go through OATs again and still end up being rejected in the end.
The good thing about you is that you've applied to a a few schools and not only 1 like me 🙁
All i can say is all the best and good luck! I hope we both can get in somewhere in the end👍
 
asa -- why in the world dont you apply to more schools??? if you were put on hold and not even given an interview that is not really a good thing...

honestly i dont know what the point of comparing well i got in this many years ago to this school with this gpa and this oat score. i think competition is getting more and more competitive meaning that if someone got in 5 years ago with a 3.0 and 300 ave on oat doesnt have anything to do with this application cycle. also there is a lot more to getting into school than those two numbers....
 
asa -- why in the world dont you apply to more schools??? if you were put on hold and not even given an interview that is not really a good thing...

when i called the school they said they are interested in me and that is why have put me on hold but only reconsider if i retake my oats since in two sections i scored 300. that in itself shows how competitive Optometry schools are getting so i totally agree with you. I would apply to more schools but then i'm not sure whether i would want to go there and that is why i did not.
 
i received my rejection letter from SUNY today... it hurts. i felt like i just got dumped haha. no interview, no nothing... just plain rejection. ouch.
 
i think my point was that if they are not even interested enough to give you an interview then put you on hold after just due to oats then that would be something.... but if they are not even interested enough to give you an interview i dont think that is good. basically they are saying 'hey if you retake oats and get a lot higher than you may get an interview and then after that you may or may not get an acceptance or maybe just back to hold'
shrug i guess if you are not interested in going anywhere else but suny you shouldnt apply anywhere else but if you really want to be an optometrist it really doesnt make sense to only apply to one school especially when it is a more competitive school like suny.
in the end do you want to be an optometrist in 4 years or not?????
 
i received my rejection letter from SUNY today... it hurts. i felt like i just got dumped haha. no interview, no nothing... just plain rejection. ouch.

Sorry about that. How were your stats. Now i'm even more worried.😕

Thanks cunikki for your concern and of course I want to be an optometrist in the end or why else would I be doing all this...it is like the second week of novemeber now...is it not too late to apply now. I had PCO in mind but again I had doubts as to whether I would want to live there plus as an in-state student (in NY) don't you get preference. But I guess you are right I should try anyways.
 
Im in the same boat as you. My cumulative GPA is a 3.2, science GPA at 3.0, OAT TS: 320 AA:330, and have been working at an optometrist office about 15-20 hours a week for 4 months. I applied to NECO, SCCO, ICO, PCO. I have an interview with ICO on tuesday (11/13). I applied beginning of October and they responded in about 1.5 weeks with my invitation. I talked with SCCO and they put my file on hold as they said my GPA was right below the cutoff this year. Ive already graduated this year from my college, but am taking some more classes this semester to boost my GPA which was recommended by SCCO. THey said after I send my transcripts in again in December, they will grant me an interview if my grades are up. I still havent heard back from NECO and PCO as I just applied to their schools late October. I just wanted to say that there's still hope for you! Don't give up 🙂
 
thank you soo much aantoni for your response!!!!! that helps me ALOOT! i feeling a little again! 🙂 ...Good luck with everything! Let me know if you hear anything from any of the schools!
 
Well, I am a first year at NSU right now, but my stats weren't that great last year when I applied. I had a 3.4 overall gpa, but science was lower. My OAT was 320, but I still made it! A good thing about NSU besides plenty of patient contact is that they will accept anyone for an interview as long as your gpa is above 3.00 and oat is above 300. That way not only the super smart people gets in and leaves out the people like me who relied alot on the interview. So if you're in our 6-state area, try applying! November is definitely NOT too late for NSU. Good luck!
 
Don't worry so much about it. I have the exact same GPA as you in overall and sciences. I made a 330 AA and 320 TS on the OAT. 2 of my scores were below a 300 too. And i just got accepted to UMSL. So it can happen. Keep your head up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad