I Just Don't Get It

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfoot777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background info on me. I'm 27 years old, married for 6 years, received my B.S in bioveterinary science in 2007, and received my MPH in May of 2011. I live in Utah and watched the legislative session closely hoping they would get the vet school partnership at Utah State and jumped for joy when they did. I have an undergraduate gpa of 3.1 and my graduate gpa was 3.87. Took the GRE twice and improved my score immensely the second time (I was average but The dean of admissions CSU said it would be fine). I have thousands of hours of experience ranging from kennel work to minor surgery on research projects on various animal species. That's skimming the top of me.

In 2007, I applied to 5 schools and was rejected at all of them. I did a file review at CSU with The dean of admissions and was told I was very close. She told me if I improved my academics and varied my experiences, I would be there. For the next 4 years I worked my A** off to do everything she said. I poured money into a masters program (for which now I am paying the price) and focused everything on getting into veterinary school. When it was announced that Utah State was opening their veterinary program with Washington State I thought this was it.

Reading all different reports and talking to many different vets in the field, I get the same news, the US is in dire need of rural and public health veterinarians. I'm a public health person and am interested in working in that field. Everything is looking up heading into Christmas right?!

Well here I am, December 17th 2011, and I have rejection letters from both CSU and the combined program at USU/WSU on the same d*** day. I don't get it. What are you looking for? Why was I spoon fed a crock of bulls*** from Dean of admissions at CSU when she knew d*** well I wasn't veterinary material even if I did all those things? QUIT PUBLISHING NEWS STORIES ABOUT VETERINARY SHORTAGES IF YOU DON'T INTEND TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!!!! I'm so frustrated and I wish there was something I could do about it. Sure, I can spend my valuable time and energy and another 400-500 dollars to apply again, but why should I put my family through this for a 3rd time? What's the point? I'm not getting any younger and my bills aren't going to pay themselves.

Thanks for smashing my dreams WSU and CSU. Welcome to the land of "opportunity."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In 2007, I applied to 5 schools and was rejected at all of them. I did a file review at CSU with Sherry Stewart and was told I was very close.

I'm sorry you didn't get in. :(

Just one piece of advice ... I wouldn't come into a public forum and take out your frustration on a specifically named person in administration at a school at which you may want to reapply. It's unprofessional, and professionalism is something most schools are trying pretty hard to promote in their students (as well as something they're looking for in candidates). From a more self-serving viewpoint, I don't know that the odds are *real* high that they'd notice, but people at schools read SDN, too, and if someone saw a person's name mentioned you can bet word might get back to that person, and it may have an impact on your future chances.

Did you do file reviews with the other 4 schools your first time around? What did they say?

Regarding the need for rural vets (I can't speak to public health vets).... as best I understand it, the consensus is that there are plenty of LA-trained vets in the U.S. The problem isn't the number of vets. The problem is the ability of the places that lack a vet to support one. It requires a pretty significant amount of money for a vet to set up shop and make a living, and many of those places needing a rural vet don't have one because their local economic engine won't support it, not because there aren't vets willing to do the job.

Best of luck if you decide to give it another go! It can be a painful process.

Last edited:
I get that you're frustrated, and that it's been a rough week for you.

But I'll definitely second the point that it's bad form to flip-**** on a very public message board while you're dropping the name of an admissions official who could easily ID you from this post.

If you thought it was tough getting in this year, good luck with her next time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry you didn't get in. :(

Just one piece of advice ... I wouldn't come into a public forum and take out your frustration on a specifically named person in administration at a school at which you may want to reapply. It's unprofessional, and professionalism is something most schools are trying pretty hard to promote in their students (as well as something they're looking for in candidates). From a more self-serving viewpoint, I don't know that the odds are *real* high that they'd notice, but people at schools read SDN, too, and if someone saw a person's name mentioned you can bet word might get back to that person, and it may have an impact on your future chances.

Did you do file reviews with the other 4 schools your first time around? What did they say?

Regarding the need for rural vets (I can't speak to public health vets).... as best I understand it, the consensus is that there are plenty of LA-trained vets in the U.S. The problem isn't the number of vets. The problem is the ability of the places that lack a vet to support one. It requires a pretty significant amount of money for a vet to set up shop and make a living, and many of those places needing a rural vet don't have one because their local economic engine won't support it, not because there aren't vets willing to do the job.

Best of luck if you decide to give it another go! It can be a painful process.

To back up what LIS said- http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dv...eas-rep/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/724093

Remember, each year, you compete against a pool of applicants. Advice from 2007 is compared to the applicants from that year. So improving is great, but absolutely no gaurantee of getting in (especially if the applicant pool continues to improve and become more competitive at the same rate that you do)- just ask all the second, third, +++ time applicants on here. It doesn't mean you aren't going to be a good vet- it just means there are 1000s of other applicants out there who will also make good vets.
I also agree with LIS that's its highly unprofessional to single out specific people at vet schools- the internet is not nearly as anonymous as you might believe.
It's not going to be an easy haul- do you want it enough to try again? Are you sure that you are applying to schools that look at your graduate GPA? I recall a lot of schools that only look at undergrad or prereq GPA, whereas some, like Minnesota, only look at your last 45 credit hours. Even with a strong grad program, you might need to consider schools that don't look so heavily on GPA. Are you sure your LORs are absolutely 100% positive? Has your personal statement been read by at least a handful of others and critiqued? It's not the school's fault you didn't get in- there was just a few hundred other qualified applicants, and schools have to pick their class by some criteria.

I edited the name out of my post but I know it's still easy to know who I'm speaking of. There has been 5-6 articles in my local newspaper this year about the shortage of veterinarians. It is a big reason why they opened the school at Utah State. I should have been more specific I guess.

Sorry for the rant. I know many of you have the same feelings. I needed somewhere to post my frustration because I think my wife is tired of listening to how frustrated I am and is ready for me to move on. I hate the words "give up" and the fact that the system has beat me but I've done everything I can do. At least I can take that away from all of this.

I recall a lot of schools that only look at undergrad or prereq GPA, whereas some, like Minnesota, only look at your last 45 credit hours.

To clarify, MN gives equal weight to your last-45-credit GPA and your pre-req GPA. At least, it did when I went through the process.

I edited the name out of my post but I know it's still easy to know who I'm speaking of. There has been 5-6 articles in my local newspaper this year about the shortage of veterinarians. It is a big reason why they opened the school at Utah State. I should have been more specific I guess.

Sorry for the rant. I know many of you have the same feelings. I needed somewhere to post my frustration because I think my wife is tired of listening to how frustrated I am and is ready for me to move on. I hate the words "give up" and the fact that the system has beat me but I've done everything I can do. At least I can take that away from all of this.

Keep your head up. Have you considered applying overseas to Ross or St. George? Or is that not an option due to family circumstances?

Hang in there! I'm 29 and in a similar boat - this is my third cycle and I am just finishing up a masters that I did to improve my application. I'm married as well and this process can be very hard on the family - especially when it's unsuccessful.

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet - have another application file review and see what happened this year - see if there is a piece that might help you for next year - in the mean time move forward in life - you're right that we aren't getting any younger :) Makes this whole process seem so much longer when you are already facing the fact that you have started in the game late. Just hang in there!!

Wishing you good luck with everything and hope that the holidays are still bright even in the midst of crappy rejections letters!! They really have a way with the timing on those.

I would definitely apply to Ross, St. George and UK schools....you have a great chance and could be in vet school very soon at one of those!

First off, I am really sorry you're facing rejections after working so hard to improve your application, that must be really hard to deal with. I do have a question, though, I am guessing that in your PS you talked about wanting to be a public health vet, which is great. I just want to make sure that you spun it in a way that shows it is your desire, not what you think the vet field needs. Does your experience back up your drive or do you have your experience in the typical small and large animal fields? If you don't have the experience to back it up, I would not show the desire to become a public health vet because they'll look at that app as this person is just saying this to get in and they aren't gonna like that. Also, they probably won't like it if you spin it as you want to fill the need for public health vets, even if you have the experience to back up your desire to enter the field.

You might have already done this, but I'd recommend getting experience in the public health field and then writing your PS and supplementals in a way that shows that you have the experience and that being a public health vet is your deep down desire.

Good luck, did you apply to other schools? I'd recommend looking at OOS schools that accept a lot of OOS students and you would meet the averages for. I'm thinking Ohio might be a good choice, or possibly Tufts, I've heard of someone getting accepted to Oklahoma with similar stats as yours but less vet experience hours as well. It did take a few tries, but with vet school, it has to be something your in for the long haul.

Hoping you applied to more schools and will be getting good news soon.

Perhaps instead of lashing out you should consider why you got rejected this time. I personally would be concerned about your PS and your LORs because you come across on your post as a bit of a self-entitled jerk (hopefully that is just your anger).

Have other people read your PS and make sure you come across well, and present a cohesive story why you should get in. And talking about Vet shortages is about 3 years old at this point as most people are worried about a surplus or pay being too low. I hope that wasn't the focus of your PS.

Also, CSU is one of the most competitive (if not THE most competitive) out of state programs. Maybe you should consider some schools where you have a better chance. As for the Utah State side, how many slots were available for Utah residents? I don't know but probably just a few. You may have applied to 2 schools with very little chance of getting in. If you are going to try again, do a little research and perhaps you will see a better result.

But hey, if you are concerned about your finances you should probably move on, because rural vets are not making a lot of dough to begin with.

To the OP:

So sorry to hear that you weren't accepted this application cycle. It is devastating to have your dreams dashed, yet again, and I understand the anger. As for the USU/WSU program, please keep in mind that only 20 IS students are accepted state wide- that's pretty stiff competition (I have explained it below for folks here on SDN who may not be familiar with the specifics). CSU also has a notoriously competitive OOS applicant pool. Please try not to take a rejection personally, or to allow the decision of an admission's committee define who you are as a human being or determine what you're capable of becoming. Many, many people with good qualifications are rejected each year. People just like you who have invested every ounce of their heart and soul into the process of becoming a veterinarian. If you decide to reapply, I wish you the very best of success with next year's cycle.

I am also a resident of Utah, and will be applying to the combined USU/WSU program next year. To folks on SDN who aren't familiar with the new arrangement, here's how it works. As of this current (2011-2012) application cycle, the state of UT is no longer participating in the WICHE program (for any veterinary school). Instead, UT has entered into the following, contractual agreement with WSU's veterinary school. WSU will reserve 20 seats in each year's class for UT state residents. These UT residents will complete their first two (didactic) years of veterinary school at Utah State University (USU) in Logan, UT (Northern Utah, approx. 20 miles south of the ID border). Following completion of the second year, these UT students will then relocate to Pullman, WA to complete their final two (clinical) years of veterinary school at WSU. UT state residents will pay in state (WA resident) tuition all four years of veterinary school. Additionally, USU will also accept 10 non-resident students into its program each year. These students will pay out of state tuition all four years of veterinary school.

This program is not the first of its kind. A similar program arrangement is currently in place between the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (USU's position) and Iowa State (WSU's position). Apparently, it is quite successful.

One last thing, OP:

Be sure to have a look at the USU/WSU pre-req page very carefully...

Admissions only takes your undergrad GPA into account when making first-round selections. This may be a factor as to why you didn't make first-round cuts for that particular school. Just a thought. In choosing schools to which to apply, remember to play to your strengths. Wishing you all the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Startingovervet, while I understand where you're coming from, I don't appreciate being called a self-entitled jerk by someone who had their dream come true by getting in to vet school. I'm sorry you don't like the fact I ranted in here but you're in, you obviously don't understand my frustration.

To everyone else, thank you for the ideas. I would consider going to one of the schools out of the country but it's hard when I have a family to consider. It's much easier when you're single to make decisions like that and I would definitely do that if I was. I just think it's time for me to embrace my defeat and start doing a better job of supporting my family. I have an MPH and there are plenty of opportunities for me in that field. It's not vet school but I can make that work. A Ph.d may be in the works as Epidemiology is a great field.

I think there is a difference between saying that you are a jerk and saying that you sound like one in that post. I don't think SOV actually thinks you are that. Also, if you're asking for opinions, everybody should say what they really think. What if you sounded like that to admissions, too? then it'd be good to change that in case you are reapplying again.

Startingovervet, while I understand where you're coming from, I don't appreciate being called a self-entitled jerk by someone who had their dream come true by getting in to vet school. I'm sorry you don't like the fact I ranted in here but you're in, you obviously don't understand my frustration.

To everyone else, thank you for the ideas. I would consider going to one of the schools out of the country but it's hard when I have a family to consider. It's much easier when you're single to make decisions like that and I would definitely do that if I was. I just think it's time for me to embrace my defeat and start doing a better job of supporting my family. I have an MPH and there are plenty of opportunities for me in that field. It's not vet school but I can make that work. A Ph.d may be in the works as Epidemiology is a great field.

I would really recommend, if you want to apply again, getting a current, updated file review. What the schools cared about back in 2007 may not be their focus this year. Things are getting more competitive every year, and generally, people who apply tend to apply each year and not take several years off. That may have influenced the decisions.

I really wish the best for you. If you're interested in a Ph.D in Epidemiology, look at OldMDgirl's blog. She's currently in a MD/Ph.D program and her focus is Epidemiology and she kind of gives a view on the ups and downs of Ph.D programs. It's a really interesting read. Best of luck. :xf:

Edit: As for whether or not SOV "understands your frustrations"...I'm pretty sure he does. Read some of his post history before claiming that. He may have got in, but that doesn't mean everyone who's a current vet student has never been rejected. Nyanko, who is another frequent member here, got in after several tries. Another poster got in on her seventh, I think. I think it's the majority that have been rejected at least once.

Startingovervet, while I understand where you're coming from, I don't appreciate being called a self-entitled jerk by someone who had their dream come true by getting in to vet school.

I think SOV was exceedingly clear in stating that your post SOUNDED LIKE a self-entitled jerk as opposed to saying you are one. He even specifically said he just hoped it was your anger coming through. I agree with him in his assessment; it sounded to me like you felt you were a shoe-in and are blaming them for misleading you. The bottom line is that the spots are limited, there are more than enough qualified candidates, and it sometimes becomes a crap-shoot.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Meh. I toned down my first response. Trying to be a better, less critical man.

But this thread has jumped the gate and is currently running free and stupid.

Look at your first post. Venting or not, you make the entire case against admitting yourself in the very first paragraph.

- A 3.1 UG GPA is simply not very competitive. You got the masters, but did you ever revisit the classes that got you the 3.1?
- You say yourself that your GRE scores are 'average.'
- The experience you cite is barely veterinary. Kennel work and animal research is nice padding, but did you actually work with or shadow a rural vet?

Then there's the response to SOV's post, that he/she had his/her "dream come true by getting into vet school."

Dude didn't open a chocolate bar and find a golden vet school ticket. It was the result of getting the required grades, scores, letters and experience.

The common thread through your posts here is that you somehow fell you've 'earned' a seat, but if you look honestly at what you've presented to them, and now us, it's pretty clear you did not.

You've got the option to step back up and try again, or quit, but enough with the 'woe is me' BS.

I'd better start buying up the Lucky Charms and look for my golden ticket!

What's your overall GPA - i.e. the combination of the two? When I visited NCSU in Feb 09, there were at least 3 OOS 4.0s in the rejection stack. Splitting the GPAs doesn't really help. A lot of schools consider them together. Besides the mediocre GPA and GRE scores, what else do you bring to the table? Is all of your experience focused in the veterinary world? At 27, I would expect you to have some other experience. Community leadership positions? A thousand hours in small animal isn't nearly as valuable as 100 hrs in each of SA, LA, food production, zoo, PH, etc. What makes you stand out? Figure that out and focus on it. Remember that each year is different - what worked last year won't necessarily work this year, as others have said. You have a much better chance of not getting in, so it's best to have a viable alternative. Actually, it would probably be better to think of vet school as the alternative to whatever career you are going to do. Better to be pleasantly surprised. This is the land of opportunity, not the land of getting what you want. You have to make up for that 3.1 GPA. Took me and additional 10 years of hard work to make up for my 3.19.

I buy lucky charms all the time! Never found me any damn tickets. (Though at this point I'd prefer a winning lottery ticket or something.)

But, Mr. Wonka, I MADE this golden ticket. It might not be YOUR golden ticket but it's not really ingenius anyway:confused: [Willy Wonka is my 2nd favorite holiday film. 1st - Home Alone:love:]

Since I am on my third application cycle and have been rejected numerous times I can say that I completely agree with SOV and his statement of you SOUNDING like you think that you should have been an "easy in" and I do completely understand your frustration. I will also agree that I have wanted to completely go off on a big huge rant about how much this sucks and why can't I just get in etc, etc, etc. But I do not expect to get accepted. And I also had a file review with Colorado 2 years ago and they were very clear in stating that even with making all the improvements they suggest that acceptance is completely based upon the other people in the applicant pool.

I understand how discouraging it is. I want to know so badly what I am missing/doing wrong, but deep down I know what it is that would improve my application and the last two years that I had file reviews the schools basically told me exactly what I know needed/needs to be done. (Some things I have been able to do, others are a little harder to do).

I wish you the best of luck with any other schools you may still be waiting to hear from, but know that no one here is trying to be rude and that an opinion is just that: an opinion. You can read the opinion and let it bother you, or you can let it bounce off and continue on, OR you can take that opinion step back and really re-read your post and maybe see the point. Internet forums do not always show tone or attitude very well, but the tone that is displayed on an internet forum could easily be the same tone you use in your writing/applications (whether you mean to sound that way or not).

Good Luck to you! The average number of times that it takes for someone to get accepted to vet school is 3; so don't get too discouraged you are not alone!

(Some things I have been able to do, others are a little harder to do).

That's all you can do, so kudos to you! Make a list of what needs improvement, prioritize it by an amalgam of 'most important' and 'most doable', and work on it top down. Beyond that it's largely out of your control.

The average number of times that it takes for someone to get accepted to vet school is 3; so don't get too discouraged you are not alone!

Interesting. Where did you come across that little factoid?

That's all you can do, so kudos to you! Make a list of what needs improvement, prioritize it by an amalgam of 'most important' and 'most doable', and work on it top down. Beyond that it's largely out of your control.

Interesting. Where did you come across that little factoid?

I don't know if that is complete fact. But I have read on quite a few sites that the majority of people have to apply at least twice and I have read before that 2-3 times is average for accpetance.

I don't know if that is complete fact. But I have read on quite a few sites that the majority of people have to apply at least twice and I have read before that 2-3 times is average for accpetance.

I've seen that somewhere too. I don't remember where though.

I would also add that there's no longer much truth to the statements regarding demand for rural or public health vets.

When it comes to rural vets, yes, there are areas that are underserved.... but those areas are underserved because they are not areas where a veterinarian can make a living. In many areas, either the population too low to provide a steady stream of business or the individuals in that area are unable/unwilling to pay for veterinary care. There aren't existing clinics in those areas, and it would be very difficult to be able to generate the revenue needed to start a new clinic in those areas.

Public health would, in theory, be served by having more veterinarians working for the government in public health capacities... but the truth is that the government really doesn't recognize this need right now and there are very few public health DVM jobs available. I know a number of DVM/MPH's who cannot find work in public health at this time... I actually had wanted to pursue an MPH myself, until I realized that my job prospects would be infinitely better if I stayed in small animal GP.

I just wanted to give you some encouraging words. I am sure you can do it! I dont know if it is necessarily reconsidering your career path (as others have stated) but getting current reviews will help (which others have stated). I know 5 schools may seem like a lot, but besides Utah's program and CSU, where else did you look? I applied to 12 programs (I know its expensive but getting into one program is well worth the money).

Western Health Sciences in CA has been doing quite well and I know they are open to applicants with lower overall GPAs. Plus, I know that people have been out there have been happy with the program.

Also, did you pick you schools based upon OOS acceptance and GPAs/GRE scores. I think its a little miss leading doing that (as I have found out first hand) but at least you increasing your odds by picking schools that have lower scores selection. If your science GPA is really good and you have okay GRE, maybe KSU would be a good school to apply to (havnt been able to be successful with those schools that do hard # cuts).

Also, I know if I have to reapply next year, I will do some serious investigation as to how the schools asses their applicants. I will be looking for schools that are more open-minded to applicants by actually reading their whole application (instead of looking at a couple numerical values) before making a decision. At the very least thats why I didnt apply to MIchigan State's program even though its my undergraduate institution. They very numbers based and no-longer do interviews.

I'm not sure how you wrote you PS or your other essays but here is what I was told.
My friend who is finishing at Michigan State's vet school, is that you have to write about yourself in a VERY positive way (no room for self-dobt, average an impression -- almost brag about things you have done -- writing doesnt reflect modesty well).

I totally know the urge to rant. Once I was very mad over a situation with a veterinary neurologist and the condition of my pet that I wrote in capitals how displeased I was with the result of my visit on facebook. My co-worker prompted me to remove the rant on a (apparently) well respected member of our local veterinary community that because it like publishing it in the newspaper. So understanding you have edited it a little bit is good, but keep you chin up and present you stats up for review without setting yourself up for criticism.

Something I would like to propose is creating a thread for people to post their stats and the review feedback they received for their applications. That way we can all learn from one another if we need to face another round of applications. I know that I will do that for all the schools I applied to, even if I (magically) get into a program this year.

Something I would like to propose is creating a thread for people to post their stats and the review feedback they received for their applications. That way we can all learn from one another if we need to face another round of applications. I know that I will do that for all the schools I applied to, even if I (magically) get into a program this year.

We have accepted applicant stats threads for every year. Many people post info about how they finally got accepted. You should read those.

Search the forum "accepted applicant stats c/o 2015" or "2014" or whatever.

We have accepted applicant stats threads for every year. Many people post info about how they finally got accepted. You should read those.

Yeah agreed. Each entry usually says how many times it took for someone to get in too, which is really helpful. I think in general, rejections come in the form of people who had some sort of deficiency in their apps that they already knew of, and people who just didn't get accepted because there were so many applicants and they just didn't stand out. So the file reviews tend to be:
-retake some classes
-take upper level courses to raise your grade
-do a masters
-retake your gre's
-get more experience
-do something that makes you stand out
-your LOR/PS was weak
A lot of these things might be helpful for the individual receiving the critique, but they tend to not be all that earth shattering. And, just doing what they tell you to don't always work for the next cycle. So I think the successful applicants' thread tend to be more helpful just because you can find applicants with stats/pre-vet journeys similar to yours and see what they did to increase their chances and stand out.

If you want to read about people's file reviews though, you can search "post-mortem" or "file review," and there should be quite a few out there.

This whole thread is upsetting being that I too went and took a masters hoping to up my wretched undergrad GPA. It seems that the masters doesn't matter.. it's sad, and it feels like a waste of money..

Oh wells, OP good luck with everything.. ! And to everyone else also.

So I think the successful applicants' thread tend to be more helpful just because you can find applicants with stats/pre-vet journeys similar to yours and see what they did to increase their chances and stand out.

:thumbup::thumbup: Agreed with SOV & Minnerbelle. But, I personally enjoy when some like to grumble about how "you shouldn't give advice to anyone cause you aren't them." I'm aware of my shortcomings...but I still believe in hope. Haters gonna hate?:shrug:

Just do your best with what you have. Circumstances and time can change things. But you're the only one who can change yourself.:)

-retake some classes
-take upper level courses to raise your grade
-do a masters
-retake your gre's
-get more experience
-do something that makes you stand out
-your LOR/PS was weak
To follow up on this point (and beat it to death - no euthansia here)... There are really only a handful of points to make and you should almost be able to self-critique your application.

1) GPA. You know if it is good or not. Maybe 3.5 -3.6 typical. Above good, below not as good. Check the stats for the school you applied to . If it is low, you best have some reason to demonstrate you can do well in vet school (it improved -last 45, science gpa better, you retook classes, got a masters....whatever)
2) GRE: Check the stats for the school you applied to. If it is low improve it.
3) Experience. Vet and animal. Do you have a lot? Is it broad (depending on school), is it focused and relevant to your area of interest(depending on school), did you learn anything from it as demonstrated in your PS and app. If not all yes, then get more experience.
4) Classes. A) Did you take a lot of upper level bio classes and do well or did you just do the pre-reqs? If not take some or do better on others.
B) have you met all the requirements academically.
5)PS - Did you have people who have seen vet ps read it and tell you it was relevant, focused, and shows you in a good light. If not, re-write it for next time.
6) LOR - Did you discuss with your LOR writers your strong points? Do you know what they are going to say? Nothing wrong with questioning them on what they think before they write the letter. Really. Not sure why more people don't. ASK THEM: Do you think I am a good candidate? What could I improve over the next 9 months to get a better LOR next time!
7) Extracurriculars.... well most schools don't care (CSU is one that does), but volunteering and leadership are pretty good ones to show. Organize a save fluffy drive or something if the schools you are applying to value this.

Really that is it for the most part. If you guys have others, add to the list. I got a file review from CSU (waitlisted me there) and NOTHING they told me was a surprise, and nothing should be. You should be able to analyze your own app and be honest.

This whole thread is upsetting being that I too went and took a masters hoping to up my wretched undergrad GPA. It seems that the masters doesn't matter.. it's sad, and it feels like a waste of money..

That is not entirely true. Different schools view it differently. It is not a cure-all, but I wouldn't think it was a waste of money! And hopefully it has demonstrated you are ready, and not only that, but prepared you to succeed when you get in! A lot of people here have masters so it must matter here anyway (and some of them without very good GPAs!)

I got a file review from CSU (waitlisted me there) and NOTHING they told me was a surprise, and nothing should be. You should be able to analyze your own app and be honest.

:beat: In this game of professional school, there is always someone worse off than you and someone better. Just cross your fingers.

That is not entirely true. Different schools view it differently. It is not a cure-all, but I wouldn't think it was a waste of money! And hopefully it has demonstrated you are ready, and not only that, but prepared you to succeed when you get in! A lot of people here have masters so it must matter here anyway (and some of them without very good GPAs!)

I would like to think.. I have officially been rejected from 2 already, not official for 3 (they are probably done interviewing) and that means I only have 3 left, and I think I chose the wrong schools. :bang: Or I'm just not destined to be a vet.. curse you being an universal OOS student! And curse me for all the dumb things I have done in life..

I would like to think.. I have officially been rejected from 2 already, not official for 3 (they are probably done interviewing) and that means I only have 3 left, and I think I chose the wrong schools. :bang:
Last year TT organized a private chat for SDNers to help in school choice. Except for the bra talk (I love bringing that up for some reason), I think it was helpful to many people and it did end up with TT in vet school where she belongs. Maybe c/o 2016 needs to organize that again. There is a lot of experience out there to talk about individual situations that can get lost year-to-year. Just a thought.

And, good luck on the 3 left. Everyone views the apps differently so don't draw any conclusions until the end. A lot of people in school on this forum only got into 1 of many schools they applied to. And that 1 is the only that matters in the end.

Last year TT organized a private chat for SDNers to help in school choice. Except for the bra talk (I love bringing that up for some reason), I think it was helpful to many people and it did end up with TT in vet school where she belongs. Maybe c/o 2016 needs to organize that again. There is a lot of experience out there to talk about individual situations that can get lost year-to-year. Just a thought.

Hm.....if TT's "bored," I'd love to collaborate on such an effort. Let me see what we can do!

It wasn't a huge deal, it just had some saturation issues - people would start getting bumped once 20 or so were in the room. I still have the chat log from then.

I don't really have anything new to add because you all have done a great job giving advice on how to improve your chances for admission and the overall attitude adjustment needed.

I just wanted to say that getting into vet school requires a certain strategy much like a game of chess. You need to understand your opponent (the school) and try to stay a few steps ahead of them.

Perserverance is an important quality for all pre-vet/vet students. Don't stop because they said no this year. So what, they said no, but they didn't say never.

As for the family obligations and such, you have to do what feels right to you, but just know that we're all making sacrifices in some way. If you want something you have to give it your all. You've got to make it your top priority. Basically, you have to want it as much as you want to breathe then you will make it happen. If you don't want it bad enough, you'll whine, moan and find a million reasons why you "can't" make it happen.

A friend of mine sent me this video when I first got discouraged started back to school and was whining about how I didn't have time for this or that.... It changed my perspective on what it takes to make it anywhere I want to go...

http://youtu.be/JRfoFGGyRvU

Good luck to you whatever way you decide to go...

I have to agree that a masters degree is not a waste of money. I also think it depends what you might have your masters degree in. I applied to veterinary school four years ago in my senior year of undergrad and was not accepted. I took a year off and then completed a Master of Public Health with a specialization in Veterinary Public Health program. That year, I reapplied to veterinary school and was accepted. I don't think that the fact that I was in a MPH was the reason I was accepted but I think it did help and showed that I could completed graduate-level work. It also expressed my interest and dedication to the veterinary public health field. Each year, different veterinary colleges are looking for different types of candidates. When I applied to my school they were and still are focusing on the "One Health" concept and wanted students to be interested in public health. If you decide to reapply, you could look for colleges that mirror what you studied in your MPH program or that great emphasis veterinary public health.

Whatever you decide, you shouldn't give up on your dream! :)