I just got into UCSF..today~!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eliotphs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have got an acceptance email from Dr. Alexander.
I was so surprised. Actually, I almost gave up hope for UCSF because it had been two months since I had an interview.
But, there is a problem...I already put down my deposit to Penn and decided to go to Penn. I know that overall reputation of Penn is graet and one of Ivy league...That's why it's really hard to choose Penn over UCSF. do you guys think that it is worth going to UCSF after withdrawing Penn? does UCSF have a good reputation in California? And which dental school do people usually choose between Penn and USCF?
I would appreciate any opinion or answers.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I would go to the school that's nearest to my home, unless you live really far from both schools.

Thank you for your congratulations...
Actually, I am an international student...so... I don't care where I live...
it's really tough decision for me..

Members don't see this ad :)
eliotphs said:
I was so surprised. Actually, I almost gave up hope for UCSF because it had been two months since I had an interview.
But, there is a problem...I already put down my deposit to Penn and decided to go to Penn. I know that overall reputation of Penn is graet and one of Ivy league...That's why it's really hard to choose Penn over UCSF. do you guys think that it is worth going to UCSF after withdrawing Penn? does UCSF have a good reputation in California? And which dental school do people usually choose between Penn and USCF?
thanks

yes ucsf has a good reputation in california. in fact the have a good reputation in the nation. but penn is also a good school with great reputation. it's an win-win situation for you. i'd say go to penn since u already set your deposit, and so you can open up a spot for someone else that's dying to go to ucsf.

go where ever is cheaper
san fran is beautiful, philly is not
ivy league prestige is more of an undergrad thing
don't buy into reputation and status
both are great so pick the best fit

Rep for both schools are great!

It's a matter of:

1) $
2) where you wanna live 4 for years
3) Where you want to practice after school
4) what school you just "felt" better at.

Forget the numbers (Avg DAT, GPA, NDBE1 scores, Match rates, the amount of ivy on the walls, etc)

so jealous.

Congrats! Hard to choose between these two.

Yeah, you can't really go wrong with either of those excellent schools. For me, the trump is always where you want to live for 4 years and San Francisco > Philadelphia in my book. I'm just too used to the mild California weather to have to deal with stuff freezing in winter and bad humidity in summer.

eliotphs said:
thanks

Congrats on a much sought after acceptace!

eliotphs said:
thanks

Seriously go to UCSF. I gave up dean's scholarship at PENN for it. I think I'm a bit biased b/c I'm a California resident. But seriously UCSF is great. I'd have still chosen UCSF even if I was an out-of-state student...cuz Philly was just so ghetto and cold.

eliotphs said:
thanks

Regarding the second half of your post, consider this: most students who've gotten into UCSF would not choose PENN over UCSF...esp if they're CA residents. I actually have not heard such case. Congrats on acceptance and see you in the Fall!