I kissed Kaplan goodbye

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

hotstuffdb22

Similar to the book, "I kissed dating goodbye", I wish I would have done the same with Kaplan, mainly because of the cost of freakin $1200!! My conclusion with kaplan: your wasting your money, and possibly time. This subject interests me because I find it to be a subject of economics and see kaplan falling on its face if it doesn't change things around. People buy kaplan because the shoe fits. Thats what I did, and I know for certain thats what most people do (kaplan came to my campus, advertised for 2 days, and signed up 35 of the 40 known serious pre-medical students, ie competitive). If it fits, then wear it, right? NO!! This is not to bash on kaplan, because I went from a 15 on my diag. to a 30 by test 3, with a lot of hard work and memorization in the sciences (which, btw, is the key to quick imprvmnt). Yet, I think this would have occured with or without kaplan. Reading from the popular post by Dario, I must say that I agree with what is being said. First of all, even if Dario is lying, does it make a difference? When one reads/scans SDN notes by those taking kaplan, very few are showing much improvement. However, when one scans those using EK's material, I have found hardly any negative comments. I actually doubt dario is lying because I know other people that dropped kaplan and have had somewhat similar stories. I agree with the poster that basically said: work IN=work OUT. I also agree with Dario, who said the stuff about critical thinking skills. I think kaplan severely lacks in preparing students for the critical thinking level of the mcat. I used some of EK's material and found it to be more helpful thinking towards MCAT style and not general physics. There is a difference. I have many disappointed friends in kaplan also. There were 8 of us in the course, 3 dropped out and 2 others stopped coming to class. Also, when I went back home during spring break, I attended a kaplan class to make up a lecture I missed, and for some reason the same disappointment was apparent in that class also. BTW, I do not work for EK. I almost feel kaplan is like a nike shoe, where everyone buys it because it has a good reputation. Yet, I think, like Dario, jot and others that Kaplan needs to revise their program. I think audio osmosis by EK is a novel idea, that will saturate the market as it continues to gain popularity. Those taking the Aug. MCAT, this is a good review source. If I had to do it all over again, not to scare anybody, I would not have enrolled in kaplan. I felt more scared with all the material they gave us (review, practice tests) than I should have. If your taking the august mcat, I would suggest buying an EK book in your weakest area, thats what took me "over the top.: Sorry Miss bonnie, I think I have posted only 7 times.... this is number 8 for you!

Members don't see this ad.

I disagree that work in = work out. There are too many gifted people and too many idiots for that statement to hold true. It may hold true for some people, but that certainly isn't a universal thing.

Originally posted by Diogenes
I disagree that work in = work out. There are too many gifted people and too many idiots for that statement to hold true. It may hold true for some people, but that certainly isn't a universal thing.

Very true! I know ppl that studied only about two weeks for the MCAT and rocked it, while others who spent 3 months studying every living moment and didn't do so hot. Some people are just innately better at critical thinking than others, and they have the edge. Not fair... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I think everyone is given what they have to work with and must make due. i always wished i'd be 6'1...but kinda stopped at 5'11 1/2. but u gotta learn to manage

Originally posted by Femtochemistry
Is this the same guy who was promoting EK methods too? Different username?!?!

I checked under their profile and this person has posted on topics other then the MCAT so I would guess no.

I tend to agree with the OP. The evidence on which I base my opinion is somewhat lacking, and a major reason I dislike Kaplan is simply that I am extremely cheap. Anyway, all I know is 4 people I know of who took Kaplan are retaking in August, while my roommate and I simply borrowed some old PR review books and studied on our own, and we are both VERY happy with our scores. Studying on my own, coming up with my own methods rather than being influenced by those crazy methods they teach you, was what worked for me. But to each his own!

What's with the Kaplan bashing!?! I don't have anything against people promoting the review methods they like best... but to attack another method is totally unneccessary.

to all of you READ THIS: note from moderator