I know a lot of you hate on Chapman's quackery....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeikoTanaka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
But I totally have one in my left 5th ICS. Drink coffee, 20 minutes later, literally feel acid coming up, eat some Tums, touch that spot, and I have a "small bee-bee sized grain of rice" that hurts like hell when I touch it. Don't have it anywhere else. Maybe there's some truth to this afterall... lol

Members don't see this ad.

Rub the crap out of it and it should cure you. That’ll be $200 thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I like massage the proximal humerus for every case of pink eye.

Reactions: 9 users
You guys are full of crap.

Better massage your lateral thighs to help fix that.

Reactions: 18 users
muscle energy post-isometric relaxation will help u

But I totally have one in my left 5th ICS. Drink coffee, 20 minutes later, literally feel acid coming up, eat some Tums, touch that spot, and I have a "small bee-bee sized grain of rice" that hurts like hell when I touch it. Don't have it anywhere else. Maybe there's some truth to this afterall... lol
Hmm so what brought you here to the inpatient psychiatric unit? Tell me more about this 'bee-bee sized grain of rice' in your side.
Rub the crap out of it and it should cure you. That’ll be $200 thanks.
Is this medical advice on the forum!!!!! I think we need to close down this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Observer bias, much?

Reactions: 1 user

This is why people **** on DO’s and for good reason if they believe this crap

Reactions: 7 users
I assumed this was a troll thread. Surely OP is joking.
If you look through her history you’ll see that she is actually pretty big on omm so I doubt it

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I’m really, really hoping lol.

Have stealthily looked for Chapman points during M3 and haven’t found one yet

Reactions: 1 users
Have stealthily looked for Chapman points during M3 and haven’t found one yet
6A66F353-40C9-413E-8199-A7FEA918E3EE.png

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Please cut it out so that we may have histological evidence of its existence. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
One time my buddy thought he found one on me, turns out it was my coracoid process. Hurt like all get out when he kept "applying rotatory pressure" on it lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Nah not kidding! I haven't found any but the GERD one, and, as a 26 year old fit male, I probably don't have enough innate organic dysfunction to really manifest as a true one? Definitely don't believe in all Chapman's points... But I really did feel this one, and it correlated perfectly to my acid reflux. Actually, the intercostal muscle spasmed initially which drew me to that area, then I felt a little muscle fiber-like tone underneath. Wish I could have shown you guys so maybe you could believe in the banana-doge in the sky.

• Haha
Please cut it out so that we may have histological evidence of its existence. Good luck.

Have you ever cut someone's Charlie Horse out of the back of their hamstring and looked at it under a slide? Seems extreme

Have you ever cut someone's Charlie Horse out of the back of their hamstring and looked at it under a slide? Seems extreme
It... seems extreme to ask for actual evidence of a supposedly palpable/nodular/physical phenomenon?

As far as I can tell it would be really easy to prove the existence of a Chapman's Point. Patient has appendicitis. Quack DO palpates an appendicitis Chapman's Point. Surgeon performs appendectomy and really quickly looks around the exact area where Quack DO felt Chapman's Point for any bumps.

Ya know what? I am guessing they would have noticed one by now, if they were around. Or a DO would have demonstrated their physical existence in a study, and they would have been accepted into mainstream medicine. But that hasn't been done, because they don't exist, or even if they do appear in some subset of patients, clearly have no diagnostic value.

Reactions: 4 users
It... seems extreme to ask for actual evidence of a supposedly palpable/nodular/physical phenomenon?

As far as I can tell it would be really easy to prove the existence of a Chapman's Point. Patient has appendicitis. Quack DO palpates an appendicitis Chapman's Point. Surgeon performs appendectomy and really quickly looks around the exact area where Quack DO felt Chapman's Point for any bumps.

Ya know what? I am guessing they would have noticed one by now, if they were around. Or a DO would have demonstrated their physical existence in a study, and they would have been accepted into mainstream medicine. But that hasn't been done, because they don't exist, or even if they do appear in some subset of patients, clearly have no diagnostic value.
Lol right. Patient has peritoneal signs, rebound, RLQ pain, might be febrile and sick as s*** and CT is conclusive but it’s time to hunt for a mysterious tender point on the tip of rib 12 on the right? No competent clinician would waste time investigating further, it’s obviously a surgical case.

OP, it sounds like you're really on to something. You should conduct a study where you use objective tests to determine if people suffering from GERD are more likely to have "grains of rice" in their 5th ICS than healthy individuals.

All kidding aside, though, Chapman's points are as real as reflexology points or acupuncture points. Stop deluding yourself.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Nah not kidding! I haven't found any but the GERD one, and, as a 26 year old fit male, I probably don't have enough innate organic dysfunction to really manifest as a true one? Definitely don't believe in all Chapman's points... But I really did feel this one, and it correlated perfectly to my acid reflux. Actually, the intercostal muscle spasmed initially which drew me to that area, then I felt a little muscle fiber-like tone underneath. Wish I could have shown you guys so maybe you could believe in the banana-doge in the sky.
Troll or not, you legit had me 10/10 laughing with this one.

This is why people **** on DO’s and for good reason if they believe this crap

Well, at this point in time it's only the True Believers who go for this type of woo.

I'll be 100% all for Chapman's points if someone can only show me one on a histo slide. They've only bee around for, what, 100 years/ Surely if they were real, someone would have found one conclusively by now.

Reactions: 3 users