I know.... save the critics...help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ema

Biti ili ne biti?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question that shows what procrastinator I am: :oops:

I sent an email to a teacher to ask for letter of recommendation and she did not respond. She was a great teacher and really "liked" me meaning that I actually talked to her cause the class was small.
I have one science letter(research) and the other....well I do not know who to ask, all my science profs were either visiting professors, or grad students who taught in CC and now they are who knows where, no real relationships there.

Q: Are there any schools who will let me substitute the letter? What happens if I just sent what I have?

I do not know what to do now. I have one teacher that I could ask, but I got B in the class and she was not the most approachable person. Man, I should have planned on time, like 2 years ago when I was taking my prereqs.. But I did not even know the requirements and did not make effort to look at individual schools.

Any idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, not to criticize or anything, but it sounds like you're screwed if you're applying for this cycle. If you're applying for the next cycle, then you still have a ton of time to get those rec's in order (in fact, you might be the earliest one).

But operating under the assumption you're applying for this cycle (since you did say you were a procrastinator), this is really late. You need at least two science and one non-science recommendation and to ask professors to give you rec's on such short notice might not go over too well with them (unless you have stellar stats and can afford to apply in September or something -- either way, get those rec's like yesterday).

I find it a bit disturbing that you mention how transient your science professors were at your college. However, I know nothing about where you went to school so I won't make any assumptions. The thing is though, med schools are pretty strict about getting at least two rec's from the sciences and if you can't get them, it is a red flag. If you are really in a bind, then maybe you can do what other people do, which is email some of your old professors if you can, mention that you took their class way back when and request to meet with them. I'd take them out to lunch (obviously treat them) and give them your autobiography, your resume, your personal statement and even your AMCAS application (assuming you fill it out by the time you meet them). They should have your grades in their records and if they are willing to do it after meeting with you, then they will appreciate having all that information at their fingertips; not to mention that it would make for a stronger, more personalized recommendation.

If you haven't already, get on the application if you are applying for this cycle. Speaking as a fellow (and master) procrastinator, there are times to procrastinate and there are times to get things done immediately. This is one of those times.

You're not that screwed (I hope). You might be comforted by the fact that many applicants are waiting to take the August MCAT (will receive results in October). Sure, you're not applying early, but you still have a chance to beat a large portion of the applicant pool.

Keep thinking about who might write for you. I have letters from solid sources who knew me well and could speak candidly about my academic skills as well as letters from a person who only knew me as a letter grade.

LOR are not the end-all of the application process. Alter your perspective to view LORs as just another item on a checklist. Hopefully, your other qualities (stats, work experiences) will carry you through.

Though, some say that the most important part of your app is that which is your weakest.

Regardless, Good luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
:oops: I am freaking out !!!!!!! I am applying this cycle and I got everything out this week. I have all the lors except the one science prof lor.

Shoot, maybe I wasted all this time and money! :oops: :oops:

Ema said:
:oops: I am freaking out !!!!!!! I am applying this cycle and I got everything out this week. I have all the lors except the one science prof lor.

Well do you have a pre-med advisor? If so maybe he can write you an LOR, if he knows you well enough.

I know my pre-med advisor is the head of the biology/chemistry/math department and he knows me really well and he'll probably write about me in the committee letter personally. So that might be a suggestion.

We don't have the comitte, pre med advisor, did not have it at CC, did not even know about it at the Univ. untill it was time for rec letters to be submitted to them for virt. evaluations. I have a major advisor letter, 1 science letter, MD, DO, and nonscience letter, and probably another lib.arts(ex. liberal arts teacher.now dean)

Ema said:

dont feel bad my situation is worse.........i still need one letter of rec, i only have two science ones......but i cant even ask the third professor until august 21st....so ill probably be complete late september........plus i applied to 32 *($30) schoolls and have submitted 13*($75) secondaries ......to make things worse i have been invited to an interview in september.......and all letters must be received prior to that......so to sum :i am screwed... :eek:

Talk to your advisor about who might be able to write you a letter. A lot of times advisors know which professors write detailed letters etc. and can point you in the right direction.