I know that a long list of EC's doesn't matter that much, but..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth compiling one anyways?

Also: how many spots are there to list individual EC's on the AMCAS, and is it worth filling in every one?

Members don't see this ad.

Also: how many spots are there to list individual EC's on the AMCAS, and is it worth filling in every one?
I'd generally say that if you've put substantial effort into the EC and you can talk about it, then add it. Take a look at my re-app FAQ (link in my sig). I've got a post in there about listing ECs.

a few activities that truly interest you and that you actively participated in
>>>
a laundry list of activities that you barely participated in

Members don't see this ad :)

As Shifty said, quality over quantity. Many applicants pad these EC lists, and in the end that means nothing. Serious, significant, and unique ECs help an applicant stand out, even if there's few of them.

I also want to add that sometimes ECs can add a good deal to an application if they are relevant to your long-term goals. For example, if you have an interest in pediatrics and you volunteer with children regularly, that is relevant. Similarly, if you have an interest in sports medicine, ortho, etc, and you play a heavy-hitting spot, that is also relevant.

Note that when I say relevant, I do not mean that the AdCom will see both points and immediately jump for joy. What I do mean is that you could easily work those activities into your PS in order to better illustrate how you feel about research or medicine.