I know this is the umpteenth time, but...when to take MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quaestor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising soph. Sadly, there's no way for me to get around the new 2015 MCAT, which means I HAVE to take Biochemistry before taking the test. (Other than that, every other prereq will be done by the end of soph. year).

That said, when should I take it? Technically, I could take Biochem during my second semester of sophomore year, but that would mean taking Orgo II and Bio II alongside it. Idk how to judge taking those 3 classes together since I have no experience with Orgo and Bio difficulty yet, but I had no problem taking 18 hours each semester this year (granted I didn't have more than 2 science courses, and next year I'm potentially looking at 2/3 science courses and 1 math course per semester, including Orgo). BUT if I take this route, I'd have more time to study for the MCAT and more flexibility of taking it again if I do poorly the first time (which I'll make damn sure not to, hopefully).

If, on the other hand, I take Biochem at the beginning of my junior year, I'd have to wait until 2016 to take the MCAT, which might be cutting it close and leaving me less of a possibility of taking the MCAT again if needed. I'd probably be looking at taking the MCAT in May or June 2016 if that's the case, but again, that's pretty late in the game, and I wanna snag those early spots while med schools hand out those acceptances relatively liberally.

Members don't see this ad.